Is gaming dead for you?

Kennah

Jul 21, 2012
What is going on with the current generation of video games? Sure, industries such as Sony and Microsoft have had their blunders in the past, but things seemed to have just spiraled out of control.

Every argument I hear now is about violence, sexism, and other forms of brutality, and while these arguments have always existed it does not excuse the current growth in the past couple of years. Take for example the reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I've never really been a fan of the series but I do find the current comments about it to be incredibly irritating. First the games were too sexist. She was always the busty brunette treasure hunter with guns poised for combat. Now they're saying she's a victim, a shell of her former self and a punching bag for men. I've asked a few women on the subject of old image versus new, and a great deal of them didn't know what I was talking about, and the few that did either cared less or thought it was a sexist image. I was in the category of "I could care less," and you know why? Because it's a VIDEO GAME!!! You play them for entertainment and nothing more. But it's not only that. Games are being released in less that satisfactory condition. A lot of them are in poor quality, have tons of bugs and glitches, and this is quickly becoming the norm. Ugh, and don't even get me started on storyline and multiplayer.

So I have to ask. Has gaming died for you or what?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Hell no.
For me, gaming is the best it's been. So many good games are being released, and stuff like Steam makes finding and playing new games really easy and convenient.
I hate when people nostalgia it up and say how gaming was better in "the old days" because there was still a fair amount of shit back then, we just remember the good stuff.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
No I can't say it has. Sure there's a lot of bad stuff but there's a lot of good stuff I enjoy too.

Also sorry to nit pick but it's "I couldn't care less".

Kennah

Jul 21, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Hell no.
For me, gaming is the best it's been. So many good games are being released, and stuff like Steam makes finding and playing new games really easy and convenient.
I hate when people nostalgia it up and say how gaming was better in "the old days" because there was still a fair amount of shit back then, we just remember the good stuff.
I wasn't trying to make it seem like old games were the best ever. I know every company has released bad games and the like. I just meant that I don't like how some seemed to have taken a turn for the worse.

Able Seacat said:
No I can't say it has. Sure there's a lot of bad stuff but there's a lot of good stuff I enjoy too.

Also sorry to nit pick but it's "I couldn't care less".
Sorry, my grammar isn't always that well, and my punctuation could use some work :p

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Kennah said:
hazabaza1 said:
Hell no.
I wasn't trying to make it seem like old games were the best ever. I know every company has released bad games and the like. I just meant that I don't like how some seemed to have taken a turn for the worse.
I wasn't saying you specifically. Just people in general.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I hate it when people assume that there's no way someone could have actually truly preferred gaming in the old times. Nope, just nostalgia. Gaming is bets it's ever been and all you need to do to agree is take those rose-tinted glasses off.

Seriously, that attitude is just appalling. Not to say plain wrong. Sure, you might think so, good for you, just don't expect everyone else to agree with you.

No, gaming scene as a whole is not "the best it ever was". Yes, there was a fair amount of shit back then, but there was less of it, and the mainstream industry didn't only look to how to squeeze the last cent out of the average gamer and still managed to release good games without whining about how corporations are people too. The gaming community was less obnoxious, too, and had less self-centered, rude, sorry excuses for human beings who can't get off unless they grief or otherwise spoil the fun for others. We didn't have to deal with the attitudes from the industry in form of trying to control their products after they've sold them.

Now, the modern indie scene? Yes, that scene is nice. And, I'm glad to see it's becoming more than just a niche market, that indie devs are getting recognition and credit where it's due for making enjoyable games.

But the AAA scene? Sorry, but polygon count and "push button, awesome thing happens" do not a good game make. Do I enjoy some AAA games? Yes. Do I think they're the second coming of JFC? No, far from. For example, it was more than just the ending that was bad about ME3.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Hell no.
I'm reinforcing this point.

It may be true that games being released nowadays have more bugs and glitches, but it costs a significant amount more money to make games now, and I'm willing to excuse the glitches and bugs since the newer games have better graphics, stories and atmosphere than old games.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Vegosiux said:
hazabaza1 said:
I hate it when people assume that there's no way someone could have actually truly preferred gaming in the old times. Nope, just nostalgia. Gaming is bets it's ever been and all you need to do to agree is take those rose-tinted glasses off.

Seriously, that attitude is just appalling. Not to say plain wrong. Sure, you might think so, good for you, just don't expect everyone else to agree with you.

No, gaming scene as a whole is not "the best it ever was". Yes, there was a fair amount of shit back then, but there was less of it, and the mainstream industry didn't only look to how to squeeze the last cent out of the average gamer and still managed to release good games without whining about how corporations are people too. The gaming community was less obnoxious, too, and had less self-centered, rude, sorry excuses for human beings who can't get off unless they grief or otherwise spoil the fun for others. We didn't have to deal with the attitudes from the industry in form of trying to control their products after they've sold them.

Now, the modern indie scene? Yes, that scene is nice. And, I'm glad to see it's becoming more than just a niche market, that indie devs are getting recognition and credit where it's due for making enjoyable games.

But the AAA scene? Sorry, but polygon count and "push button, awesome thing happens" do not a good game make. Do I enjoy some AAA games? Yes. Do I think they're the second coming of JFC? No, far from. For example, it was more than just the ending that was bad about ME3.
I like the part where you go "You should know everyone doesn't share your opinion, because it's wrong!"

Because your opinion is automatically correct, right? :D

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I wouldn't say gaming is dead to me, but it's certainly retired. What was once a life of buying new releases once a month, using the majority of my free time to play and trying to stay on top of things has become a slower process for me.

For starters. I've told myself that I'm done with new consoles. Once the PS3, Wii and 360 all become obsolete, I'm done with TV consoles.

I focus mostly on handhelds now. I have a 3DS and Vita. The vast majority of games I actually play now are the casual indie iOS games on my iPod Touch.

Outside of the iOS titles, even with handhelds and TV consoles, I find myself only buying about 6 titles a year.

So no, it's not dead for me. It's just no longer my main hobby. It's something I don't want to spend as much money on, and just something I play in a more casual sense now.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm trying to figure out why anyone who thought gaming was dead would be on this site in the first place.

No, gaming is not dead for me. I play games to have fun, I don't need to be an elitist about it or ***** about how things used to be. I just want to know `is it fun?`. If yes, I will probaby play it.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Vegosiux said:
hazabaza1 said:

Seriously, that attitude is just appalling.

No, gaming scene as a whole is not "the best it ever was". Yes, there was a fair amount of shit back then, but there was less of it, and the mainstream industry didn't only look to how to squeeze the last cent out of the average gamer and still managed to release good games without whining about how corporations are people too. The gaming community was less obnoxious, too, and had less self-centered, rude, sorry excuses for human beings who can't get off unless they grief or otherwise spoil the fun for others. We didn't have to deal with the attitudes from the industry

Right, I suppose I was a tad agressive in my original post. No, I don't think it's 'only nostalgia' that makes people like gaming in the old days, I enjoy a lot of games from back in the day, but lots of people do seem to forget that there were still many negatives back then.

As for the state of the gaming community? Doesn't really bother me, I focus more on single player games, and I haven't had that many bad online experiences.

Not every indie game is great either. And if we're going to complain about communities I nominate that we complain about a large amount of the indie community being full of pretentious cunts.

And yes, AAA gaming has a fair amount wrong with it, but if people are allowed to ignore the shit that comes from the past/indie communities then I'm allowed to be incredibly petty and ignore the shit that modern gaming does.
[sub]Yes that's stupid and petty but I can't think of how to explain what I want to say.[/sub]

Edit: Oh hey, you edited your post to say that my opinion is wrong and then go on to explain your opinion.
Just confirming, do you know what an opinion is?

Jan 12, 2012
Kennah said:
Every argument I hear now is about violence, sexism, and other forms of brutality, and while these arguments have always existed it does not excuse the current growth in the past couple of years. Take for example the reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I've never really been a fan of the series but I do find the current comments about it to be incredibly irritating. First the games were too sexist. She was always the busty brunette treasure hunter with guns poised for combat. Now they're saying she's a victim, a shell of her former self and a punching bag for men. I've asked a few women on the subject of old image versus new, and a great deal of them didn't know what I was talking about, and the few that did either cared less or thought it was a sexist image. I was in the category of "I could care less," and you know why? Because it's a VIDEO GAME!!! You play them for entertainment and nothing more.
I'd say it's growing pains, and I'm glad for them. People are trying to show that video games are entertainment, but like books and movies they can be thought-provoking and worthy of discussion as well. Do I think that the sexism shitstorm currently brewing is a little much? Yeah. But I wouldn't trade it for the world, because if we don't have these kinds of discussions, it's too easy to dismiss gaming as a "kid's toy", when it's clearly much more than that for many people (see: this site).

Kennah said:
But it's not only that. Games are being released in less that satisfactory condition. A lot of them are in poor quality, have tons of bugs and glitches, and this is quickly becoming the norm.
This, however, is inexcusable. Developers are using the freedom of patches to shove substandard products out the door, watching to see if they promise a return on investment before actually making them work. I didn't buy any of the Elder Scrolls games because of this, and I won't do so until Bethesda cleans up a bit, and starts showing that they think of artistic integrity and customer satisfaction in the same ballpark as money.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I like the part where you go "You should know everyone doesn't share your opinion, because it's wrong!"
Care to point out where I said that? Protip: Nowhere.

I said something else. Namely this:

Care to point out where I was talking about "opinions" in this part of my post? Such an assumption is wrong. That's not a matter of opinion. That's a matter of fact.

shrekfan246 said:
Because your opinion is automatically correct, right? :D
Would you care to point out where I said anything like that?

Listen, kudos for trying to be all sarcastic and snarky on me, I respect that, but next time, do it right and respond to what people actually say, not to what you wish they'd have said.

hazabaza1 said:
Edit: Oh hey, you edited your post to say that my opinion is wrong and then go on to explain your opinion.
Just confirming, do you know what an opinion is?
I said your opinion is wrong? Where? Exact quote please.

Protip: Nowhere. I said your attitude is wrong. I do know what an opinion is, yes. That's why I didn't specifically state the rest of my post is an opinion. One'd think that was kind of obvious.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Yes . I can stand the games that come out now . So i decided to change genres . I started playing fighting games , evey other genre that i loved before , have fallen flat on their faces . Sure there is that occassional good game that makes me go WOW, every now and again , but other than that , everything is just so MEH . But i honesty think , after this generation i'm out . I'm hanging up my gamer uniforme after 20 years. I'm going to stick with the classics . Nes to this generation only . I can't be assed to care anymore . Feels bad , because gaming was my passion . And now that love has all but faded away .

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Oh, how biting and sharp. I'm hurt. Really.

Vegosiux said:
No, gaming scene as a whole is not "the best it ever was".
That's an opinion, and you stated it in direct opposition to a different opinion. Unless you can factually prove what you're stating.

Vegosiux said:
That was directly aimed at what hazabaza had said, which he had pushed forward as his own opinion.

Vegosiux said:
That was your refutation of hazabaza's opinion, in which you stated that the attitude he held, and by extension his opinion of the current gaming industry, was plain wrong.

Vegosiux said:
We've got even more opinions here, especially that last line in which you state more than just the ending of Mass Effect 3 was bad. To you, maybe.

Vegosiux said:
Yes, there was a fair amount of shit back then, but there was less of it, and the mainstream industry didn't only look to how to squeeze the last cent out of the average gamer and still managed to release good games without whining about how corporations are people too. The gaming community was less obnoxious, too, and had less self-centered, rude, sorry excuses for human beings who can't get off unless they grief or otherwise spoil the fun for others. We didn't have to deal with the attitudes from the industry in form of trying to control their products after they've sold them.
And here we have a fair amount of gross generalization, as well as willing suspension of belief about the past. There was less shit because there was less good stuff too. In fact, more games have come out since the start of 2011 than were released during the entirety of 1983-1995. The gaming community was less obnoxious because there was a much smaller community, and hardly anything had "online multi-player".

And the industry didn't try controlling their products? Do you not remember all of those stupid little codes that were plastered onto the backs of boxes or instruction manuals that you had to enter before you could install a game on your PC?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
That's an opinion, and you stated it in direct opposition to a different opinion. Unless you can factually prove what you're stating.
Never stated it's automatically correct. I'm so sorry for not explicitly stating how that part from there to the end is just my opinion of course.

It was really rude of me to assume people'd figure that out for themselves instead of assuming that I'm trying to say that's a fact because I said so.

That was your refutation of hazabaza's opinion, in which you stated that the attitude he held, and by extension his opinion of the current gaming industry, was plain wrong.
Actually, I never claimed that "extension". I don't even see why you'd think why taking an issue with someone's attitude would make such an "extension" necessary.

Or in other words - I didn't actually say that, nor did I imply it. You made that part up because it suits you.

Let me ask you a question, though: What are you trying to accomplish here? What's your goal?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I would say it?s dying for me. Don?t get me wrong I still enjoy games though my tastes are becoming narrower and narrower these days, but there are just too many villainous figures now for me to fully enjoy it all. The more I discover the more withdrawn I become and the less I want to do with any of it.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Actually, I never claimed that "extension". I don't even see why you'd think why taking an issue with someone's attitude would make such an "extension" necessary.

Or in other words - I didn't actually say that, nor did I imply it. You made that part up.
Because of the attitude that you took in order to oppose his attitude. You stated that his attitude was "plain wrong". That's being contrary for the sake of starting an argument. There was no reason for you to include a statement like that, and yet you did anyway. In fact, judging by hazabaza's response to your post, you actually edited your post to include stating that his attitude was wrong.

And the point of an extension is that it's indirectly implied without the person stating so. It's how passive-aggressive people on the internet like to argue.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Gaming is so dead that I log onto a video game forum almost every day to discuss how dead it is.