Is gaming dead for you?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Nope. In fact, gaming for me goes through phases where I barely play at all, then I play tons all at once. At the moment I'm re-visiting Fallout 3 before diving into New Vegas.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I'm with the "gaming is the best it's ever been" camp, for several reasons. If you don't like the big, mainstream AAA releases, they're easy enough to ignore. It's far easier to find and purchase alternatives now than it has ever been and there are still some real gems being released from all levels of the industry. On top of that it's also far easier than ever to go back and the classics of yore! With services like GOG providing us with hundreds of classic PC games and emulators allowing us to play games from any system up to and including the Wii on our computers it's never been easier to be a retro gamer.

Not only are there still fantastic games being released (in amongst a lot of crap, yes, but that crap has always been there) but we now have all the best games of yesteryear to play, too. We're more than a little spoiled for choice.
This. I don't usually like to post "this" comments. But this particular comment gets a serious, unequivocal "this."

Gaming before 2008 was a pain in the ass, especially when it came to getting older titles. We didn't have services like GOG peddling wares from the past. If you wanted something you had to track that shit down on ebay. Hell, I had to get a British pressing of the original Fall Out Trilogy from some rando on amazon, because no one else sold it. 4 years later, everyone and their brother is selling via Digital Distribution. It's fucking fantastic!

I'd say 5-6 years ago, the "indie" gaming scene was pretty much Geometry Wars and Spiderweb Software. That was it, that was all we had. Sure it they were fun, but it was no where near the plethora of indie developers that exist now.

I bought only 4 games for this Summer's Steam Sale. All of them were adventure games. That was absolutely unfathomable less than 5 years ago. Scrabbit is right, there has never been a better time to be a gamer.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Nope if anything we are on the edge of the next step up for gaming we just got to wait it out for the next gen consoles and then everything will hopefully get brought up to standard although I could be wrong and it could just inflate budgets and make less intuitive games due to costs and development time.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Nope. In fact, gaming is getting even more exciting than ever.

I know there is corporate bullshit, military shooter clones, draconian DRM and whatnot, but it's like looking at the worst of life, just because you saw in the news that somebody died in your state, it won't stop you from enjoying the things you like the most.

There's still many new games coming this year that I'm quite excited about.

Also, I'm excited about the indie scene and the free to play scene.

So, nope, gaming is NOT dead and it won't be for a long time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, this is really "Is gaming better or worse than it has been?"
Some things have become better some have become worse.

I'm not so naive as to assume it's the worse it has ever been, but nor am I so arrogant as to assume it's the best it has ever been as if it were indisputable fact.
(for those of you with differing OPINIONS, this is NOT AIMED AT YOU)

Tech has improved greatly...
...yet the time+cost to develop on it has risen correspondingly (at least at its highest echelons).

Needless-Complexity has been streamlined out of most game genres...
...but so has most genuine attempts at depth.

Multi-platform support is commonplace...
...but port-jobs remain largely sloppy (though this has been improving rapidly).

There are some truly awesome games floating around, the indie scene is on the rise...
...yet the AAA gaming scene is floundering, consolidating, and much of it still thinks it has the gall to fuck their customers over.

Digital distribution has made game shopping more convenient and direct than ever before...
...yet several companies see this as an opportunity to jam ineffectual, bullshit DRM down our throats for the purposes of market control.

Amateur developers have powerful programming and creation tools at their disposal for cheap or free...
...yet the AAA scene is diametrically opposed to the very notion of user-created-content if they cannot lay total legal ownership over it.

So, everything is in flux.
To ignore the good and focus on the bad is every bit as stupid as to assume the reverse.

To answer the original question (not that anyone gives a fuck): No, gaming is not "dead" for me.
It's simply less appealing than it used to be in many ways.

I could sit here and blame a number of factors, but why bother when I can only blame myself?
It is a matter of opinion, no?

Besides, I've rediscovered some old gems over this summer and am actually interested in a few games later on this year (the new XCOM, new Fire Emblem, and Borderlands 2. Maybe Orcs Must Die 2, depending) after the gaming drought is over.

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure you're like the type of guy that talks about how "life sucks, the world sucks, and death is more fun than living" despite the fact that the guy apparently hasn't committed suicide yet. While gaming has its downs gaming can only get better and will continue to get better no matter what the naysayers have to say about the gaming industry the only thing that will change is if we look at the future of gaming with optimism and hope or whether we look at it like cynical douchebags. I don't know about you but I choose the former.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Pretty much, yes. I play very very VERY few new games these days, because I utterly despise the restricted gameplay that most new (and old) franchises have been applying more and more lately to their products. You know, the heavily-scripted sections, the bizarre and clunky controls, petty gameplay mecahnics - everything. Case in point: Spec Ops: The Line, for e.g. I miss the times when games had a lot more gameplay freedom and actually allowed the player to figure out shit for themselves, instead of designing the gameplay mechanics so that the player has a lot less input into the actions of the protagonist, and has to just sit and press one button at some certain point in time; making it insultingly easy and just plain boring. I'm not gonna say that gaming is dead as a whole - I'm just saying that personally I've grown a little weary of the way the industry has been treating its property lately. Unfortunately for me, I'm just gonna have to accept things the way they are and try and find solace in the few actually-good titles that are coming out these days. As for the sexism and all the other ism's that have been popping up lately in discussions - I'm not against them, but I'm also not much for them as well. Sexism lately has started being taken way too seriously, not just by the gaming community (if anyone reading this is a part of the free thought community on youtube, or elsewhere might know what I'm talking about), but I'm certain it'll blow over soon.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
It has never been better. It's just that i have played so many games that i rarely see anything new or exciting, plus it's not as easy to please me as before, when i was just a kid i could play the same repetitive thing for hours and it was fun, now things changed and gaming doesn't seem as fun, but it surely hasn't gotten worse.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
Gaming is so dead that I log onto a video game forum almost every day to discuss how dead it is.
Yeah me too. Everyday I load up and play games just to remind myself how shit they are as well.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Da Orky Man said:
I'm certainly gaming a lot less now, but I'm still in.
Basically this. I've become pickier in the games that I play, so I play less games overall. Some genres I downright ignore. Also, few games actually amaze me nowadays, especially story-wise.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Gaming isn't dead for me but I am losing interest.

So many games are near identical in how they play, with everything seemingly wanting to be a first or third person shooter, and story seems to be taking a back seat as well.

Everything just feels like a homogeneous blob.