Is gaming dead for you?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Palademon said:
Yes, gaming is dead for me. That is why I use this website, so I can keep in touch with it.
About to just say this.

No, and seeing how much time just one game can keep me occupied for long periods of time, I doubt it will be for a while.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I'm certainly gaming a lot less now, but I'm still in. The new Sins of a Solar Empire is keeping me busy, with the bloody Advent continually attacking me the second I move my fleet away from a particular, heavily guarded and vitally important planet.

Roberto Perez

Nov 21, 2011
To be honest gaming is far from dead, right it IS going throug a change phase with the indie scene growing and new genres and ways to play get implemented, its been part of all media, it was a matter of time before it happened to VG, and as far as I know gaming wasnt exactly better in the past if you do the math there are way over 50,000 NES games, being generous perhaps 100 are still enjoyable, so no gaming itslef wasnt "better" before (more innovative perhaps); but I expect it to grow ALOT in the following decade

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
i grew up with halo:CE. i remember the crazy LAN parties with my sister and uncle. i remember how it saved a relationship between two family members through a common interest: video games. i think that those times were special to me, and yet, i like gaming now more than back then. why? because its times like those that shape modern gaming. devs know that people bonded, and had fun back then, thats why they always push for group friendly features, or the level editor to create a wicked map for you and your friends to screw around on. if it wasnt for times like those, gaming may be different. maybe for the worse. i do have to admit though, there was a certain charm to seeing your friends walk in with an xbox in there backpacks, a small tv if there was more people than normal, a copy of halo, and a smile on their faces, knowing that we were about to have a ton of fun.

So no, gaming is not dead for me, and i dont think it ever will be.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Vegosiux said:
shrekfan246 said:
You stated that his attitude was "plain wrong".
Correct, I did say that. Note how that statement says nothing about his opinions.

(And note that you started off with the accusation that I made a statement about his opinions...)

There was no reason for you to include a statement like that, and yet you did anyway.
Actually...there was a reason for me to include a statement like that. Namely, the assumption that was made - that not seeing today's gaming scene as "best it has ever been" is just nostaliga talking - is an incorrect assumpion.

If you don't see that as a reason, well, I can't do much about that, can I.

And the point of an extension is that it's indirectly implied without the person stating so. It's how passive-aggressive people on the internet like to argue.
Let me guess this straight. It was all an assumption on your part? "Passive-aggressive people on the internet like to argue this way, so I'll just assume this one is doing it too."

Well, I suppose that clears up a few things. But just for further reference, I don't really like it if someone assumes that I'm implying something that I'm not. Please stop doing that.

So let me sum up my post.

1) I don't like it when preferring previous generations of gaming gets handwaved with "Eh, nostalgia"

2) I don't think the gaming scene at this point is "the best it's ever been" (and half of my post is why I don't think so)

3) Yes, it's my opinion and not a universal truth. Never said otherwise, so I don't see why you're getting on my case or what you're trying to accomplish here.
I don't think you're going to win this one man. Just end it by pointing out how "in the old days" that good games were REALLY good, like Planescape: Torment, and the bad games were really bad, like Bubsy 3D. Now it's all just homogenous mediocrity.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Not at all!
I just bought a copy of condemned and am looking forward to playing it in the middle of the night ASAP.
Also, take a look at the cool bunch of stuff coming out at the end of the year, I'm excited for them.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
It seems more like gaming is finally digging its way out of the rut its spent nearly a decade in, so no its not dead its finally coming back to life.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
To a point, yes.

I liked games better when having a good time was the first and most important thing for the developers and the audience, rather then how realistic or how much like a movie a game was. I play games to play games. I liked FPSs when they had, you know.. things to do. I liked traversing worlds, finding keycards, secrets, keys, secret weapons, etc. I liked playing the video game aspects of these video games. I can't think of a single FPS that does that right now; they've all turned into corridor shooters with cinematics, and now every other game is trying to emulate them. Dead Space is turning into a generic action game, Resident evil (one of the original Survival horror games) is also turning into a generic boring action game. It's really sad this is the way things turned out.

Nintendo seems to be one of the only ones trying to make fun games like they did before, but even so, their current stuff doesn't quite meet the standards of their old stuff. So yeah, it does seem like everything is gradually dying out. At the very least SOME people are still trying to make video games. I am currently playing Fez and that's pretty fun. I enjoyed Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex before that. But every AAA game I play on my xbox is just a huge 'meh', and that's really a downer.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
I think it's better than ever, personally. You can look at companies like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Rockstar, Nintendo, etc. and see that they're making creative, balanced, extremely enjoyable gaming experiences just like they always have, but with modern processing power, they can make more believable and fully realised worlds. I think it's only getting better. Of course, there are some companies whose business practices I don't agree with, but hasn't this always been the case? I think with better technology, better games will come naturally if stalwart developers like these don't lose their way :)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
It's getting a lot better and a lot worse at the same time. But that's what you get in a continually growing industry.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Strain42 said:
I wouldn't say gaming is dead to me, but it's certainly retired. What was once a life of buying new releases once a month, using the majority of my free time to play and trying to stay on top of things has become a slower process for me.

For starters. I've told myself that I'm done with new consoles. Once the PS3, Wii and 360 all become obsolete, I'm done with TV consoles.
Pretty much this. For me, its not dead, but it is comatose. Gaming is becoming increasingly inconsequential to me. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, and I'm going to go right head and blame all the hype. Marketing has beating gaming into this coma. Because with productions spiralling out of control, games have become increasingly slight, more stripped down. They take less time to complete and have less replay value, and everything I read about the fourthcoming consoles makes me less and less interested.

So yeah, I'll be done with gaming once the next gen takes over. Hell, I think there are only about five games between now and then (by then I mean around about 2014) that I'm even vaguely interested in.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
no

and people who go on about this kind of bullshit really really annoy me

hey! you....yes you!, person who likes past games better

I LIKE CURRENT GEN TRASH BETTER THAN YOUR BELIVED CLASSICS!! WAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ah that felt good

Evil Cabbage

Mar 26, 2011
Well, as for your first point, I think this signals more that games are alive rather than dead. The fact that games are being scrutinized in a similar manner to film and TV by both gamers and the media (correct me if I'm wrong on the media) suggests that games and game culture have become a much larger part of society that they once were, subject to social norms and criticisms.

As for your second point, I agree that it's shameful when developers rush out a game with a truckload of bugs and simply patch it, however it's important to acknowledge that patches can be used for good instead of evil - like fixing minor glitches that most games (old and new) have in some form, and in rare cases, adding new content.

I think a key thing to this discussion is that gaming is much larger today and contains many more facets - i.e AAA, AA, indie, iphone apps, etc. I notice that most people in this thread seem to be referring to the AAA market. Further, I object to the use of the word 'dead' because it implies a state of permanent... well... drudgery.

I, like many haven't been that interested in AAA games this year, however, for all we know, we might have a great year in a few years. So, I don't think that games are dead, just that AAA games are in a coma

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
People are growing vaginas at an alarming rate. hence why people complain about Tomb Raider rather than the murder, use and beating of prostitutes in Grand Theft Auto... YOU PEOPLE PICK THE WEIRDEST OF CHOICES TO SHOW SEXISM AND VIOLENCE ETC ETC IN VIDYAGAMZ

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kennah said:
Every argument I hear now is about violence, sexism, and other forms of brutality, and while these arguments have always existed it does not excuse the current growth in the past couple of years.
Not really. It's still rather proportionate to the base. It's just that gaming is now a mainstream industry like never before.

Take for example the reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I've never really been a fan of the series but I do find the current comments about it to be incredibly irritating. First the games were too sexist. She was always the busty brunette treasure hunter with guns poised for combat. Now they're saying she's a victim, a shell of her former self and a punching bag for men.
So first it was that the games were too sexist and now it's that the games are...Too sexist?

my how times have changed!

I've asked a few women on the subject of old image versus new, and a great deal of them didn't know what I was talking about, and the few that did either cared less or thought it was a sexist image.
Well, my girlfriend seems to care. In part because she likes games. Weird.

This is also why anecdotes suck. Most of the women I know DO care.

I was in the category of "I could care less," and you know why? Because it's a VIDEO GAME!!! You play them for entertainment and nothing more.
It's almost like...Some people aren't entertained by that stuff.

Nah, the "it's about entertainment" argument holds water. Completely.

But it's not only that. Games are being released in less that satisfactory condition. A lot of them are in poor quality, have tons of bugs and glitches, and this is quickly becoming the norm. Ugh, and don't even get me started on storyline and multiplayer.
Bugs and glitches were ALWAYS the norm. The major difference is they can patch it now. I'm not sure how old you are, but what are now called AAA titles used to be loaded with bugs in the NES/SNES eras, and I think the PS1 era was even worse. And shitty hardware dates back to the NES, as well. The "toaster" style NES was a faulty design they knew about, long before the PS2 or 360.

People like to white-wash the good old days, but be realistic. I grew up in days when you would pay the equivalent of 100 modern bucks with NO quality assurance and ZERO hopes of getting a patch or an update unless they released a brand new version, and then you'd have to pay again.

Seriously, people. This is not a new thing. Save-destroying, game-unplayable, controller-snapping bugs are almost as old as gaming.

So I have to ask. Has gaming died for you or what?
If these are the reasons gaming is "dying" for you, I think you're doing something horribly wrong.

But seriously, I just bought like a dozen new games on Steam, and a second controller so I can play multiplayer locally with friends. I've always been a console player, but with the advent of controller-ready PC games and indie titles (which cover a lot of genres I love), I am in a state of gaming Nirvana.

And yeah, consoles are pissing me off. Probably why I have only bought two console titles in the last 18 months.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Gaming is just as grand as ever, if not more.

Just as it becomes more popular, it becomes more exposed to idiots. Happens to everything.

Mar 9, 2010
Kennah said:
No because there's tonnes of fucking awesome games still left to play. I've said this before but if you can't see that then just fucking leave, this argument is bogus.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Kennah said:
What is going on with the current generation of video games? Sure, industries such as Sony and Microsoft have had their blunders in the past, but things seemed to have just spiraled out of control.

Every argument I hear now is about violence, sexism, and other forms of brutality, and while these arguments have always existed it does not excuse the current growth in the past couple of years. Take for example the reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I've never really been a fan of the series but I do find the current comments about it to be incredibly irritating. First the games were too sexist. She was always the busty brunette treasure hunter with guns poised for combat. Now they're saying she's a victim, a shell of her former self and a punching bag for men. I've asked a few women on the subject of old image versus new, and a great deal of them didn't know what I was talking about, and the few that did either cared less or thought it was a sexist image. I was in the category of "I could care less," and you know why? Because it's a VIDEO GAME!!! You play them for entertainment and nothing more. But it's not only that. Games are being released in less that satisfactory condition. A lot of them are in poor quality, have tons of bugs and glitches, and this is quickly becoming the norm. Ugh, and don't even get me started on storyline and multiplayer.

Definitely not, for me it's better than ever right now. Sure games are shorter but as far as I am concerned are of far better quality, games like the Witcher 2, mass effect 2 (and 3 with the exception of the ending), portal 2, batman arkam city, the firts crysis game, starcraft 2, uncharted 3, Hell I even thought bulletstorm was a great game. As for syndicate, it may have been short but the gameplay and atmosphere was actually alright (don't know why everyone hated it). Then there is the wealth of indie games like amnesia the dark decent, trine 1 and 2, Q.U.B.E and many many brilliant more. Gaming is currently better than ever but some people love to find any reason to hate on whats new, sure there are classics but they are few and far between. in the past 3 year more high quality fun game have been released than all the games released before 2003 (in my opinion, ofcourse)

also, I hate to be a grammar nazi. But I never understood why people do this this, shouldn't the phrase be "I couldn't care less". because if you say I could care less, that means you can care less than you currently are (get what I mean), then agian my own grammar is pretty bad (I just hate when people use that phrase incorrectly)

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Kennah said:
"I could care less,"
Could you? So you do care then?

The only game I've played in the past few months is COD: BlOps out of sheer boredom. And there isn't anything I'm particularly looking forward to either. So yeah. Bit dead. I only come on the website for the random discussions/weekly features/flame war fun.