Is Gaming Dead?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
PUNK'S NOT DE-

Whoops, you're talking about the other thing people always say is dead. Doesn't matter, the answer is still the same. There are still people making good ones, therefore, it's not dead.

Roybot

Jan 24, 2010
As Moviebob said about the movie industry: it had to fail in order to succeed. No gaming is FAR from dead, just like everything else that started as a subversive medium (metal, skateboarding, and SAS coding). Things move in phases and fads, gaming has gone through and continues peripherals phase that grew into a peripherals fad with "innovations" like the Wii and the Kinect. It takes a Jaguar to make an N64, it will take many more flops and formulaic compost dumps of games and concepts before the industry recognizes it's a bad idea.

The best we can do as gamers is make sure we don't stand for it and stray far away from the things we feel are ruining the industry.

Aug 19, 2010
no, infact we are coming near the next golden age in video games. many well established franchises are soon coming to an end, and with today's tech, the only way forward is new gameplay mechanics, and when the next technological brake thorough comes, it won't take long for gaming to embrace it, im willing to bet that we need to survive just a few more years of shitty clones and sequels, and then new, interesting and fun games will see the light of day

alternatively, the fucking Mayans were right

edit:typos

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
God people like you annoy me. CoD does have a story line and so does God of War, if they want to continue the story line guess what, THEY HAVE TO MAKE A SEQUEL!

So what if a lot of sequels are coming out? I haven't been this excited for a bunch of a games for a while now and I've been around for a good 19 years. Battlefield 3, CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!! Skyrim, Arkham City. I've been playing games since I was 6, played all the Battlefields and I haven't seen one clone...funny that, considering clone is used so damn much.

I'm pretty sure a clone is an exact copy of something...The simple fact that MWF3 is different to MWF2 proves it isn't a clone...

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
Nope its not, that's like saying movies are dead just because hollywood only does something new like 1-2 times a year & rest is same stuff, games just take fewer risk now a days since we have formulas that will make you money so the devs don't try & take many risk in making something that hasn't been all that done before.

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
PUNK'S NOT DE-

Whoops, you're talking about the other thing people always say is dead. Doesn't matter, the answer is still the same. There are still people making good ones, therefore, it's not dead.
Punk's dead baby, Punk's dead.

Roybot

Jan 24, 2010
Rem45 said:
God people like you annoy me. CoD does have a story line and so does God of War, if they want to continue the story line guess what, THEY HAVE TO MAKE A SEQUEL!

So what if a lot of sequels are coming out? I haven't been this excited for a bunch of a games for a while now and I've been around for a good 19 years. Battlefield 3, CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!! Skyrim, Arkham City. I've been playing games since I was 6, played all the Battlefields and I haven't seen one clone...funny that, considering clone is used so damn much.

I'm pretty sure a clone is an exact copy of something...The simple fact that MWF3 is different to MWF2 proves it isn't a clone...
He isn't just referring to sequels good sir, he's talking about games like Bulletstorm that capitalize on the ground games like MW covered already. We as a community should have more options than "FPS, Beat'em up, or shiny FPS". If you had a chance to look on a menu at a restaurant, you'd want more than "burrito, beans, and bigger burrito".

Roybot

Jan 24, 2010
Cuacuani said:
WouldYouKindly said:
PUNK'S NOT DE-

Punk's dead baby, Punk's dead.
:( At least the metal lives on...

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
We've had new franchises (or one offs, who knows) come out like Bayonetta and L.A. Noire in the past year, I wouldn't be too worried that we only get sequels and rip-offs these days. =p

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Try free-to-play flash games. Those are always pretty unique on some level or another. Besides, clones have always been and will always be, it indicates that people enjoy a particular mechanic or style and/or those particular mechanics/ styles are generally good. Gaming isn't dead you may just be looking in the wrong places.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*looks up from storming the Shadow Broker's base*

Huh? What? Who's dead?

Oh, it's this thread again. Meh.

To be sure, gaming as an industry has its fair share of issues. But asking if it's dead is just being melodramatic. It would be more accurate to say that gaming is a bit ill at the moment. Hell, even that's a bit strong. Hm, how about, "Gaming has a slight case of the sniffles"?

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'll just be getting back to my highly enjoyable gaming session.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
Let's see; between Arkham City, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Island, Anarchy Reigns and countless other games I've seen coming down the line... I'm gonna say no, gaming isn't dead and people like you should really learn to liven up.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Don't silly. The cinema is the exact same to be brutally honest. How? There will always be periods where only some really rubbish films come out. Next period you'll be spoilt for choice! So don't worry about it. Just be patient!

x

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
lets see, what games will be coming out soon
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
Minecraft

huh, I guess it's not dead

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
No way gameing is dead, NOT WHEN WE HAVE THE EXCITEMENT OF ACHIEVEMENTS TO LIVE FOR (exclamation marks, ones and eleven, etc)

Im getting into a lot of steam games recently, as my reign in Halo has ended due to severe boredom in Reach, so a lot of PC games/indie titles are relatively new to me. (no I didnt exclusively play halo, but its been my main FPS since Combat Evolved) Also, a lot of new games to look forward too, although most of them gun-related.

And so far as Gears of War and CoD are concerned, I've just started playing them (Gears 3 Beta and Black Ops) Seems legit to me.

Trenchoat Brigade

Aug 12, 2011
Is It dead? No, It is making more money than ever. It gets up every day at 8am, goes to work, sits at Its cubicle and has a very profitable 60 hours work journey per week. Its been pulling some very impressive numbers in the last couple of years and Its superiors are very satisfied with such performance. It believes wholeheartedly in the company and in the direction that the big boys have decided to take, sure, some might argue that the latest products the company have steadly produced are "somewhat derivative" and "lacking the inovation and dare that started this company and made it so dear to the consumer", but damn it, the sales do not lie and It is proud of them.
After all, how can something that is turning a profit be dead?