Is Gaming fun anymore?

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
*I* still find gaming fun because it's still a form of escapism for stressful life; games have never abandoned me and I can always find something to enjoy as far as games go.

I'm just glad (and kind of surprised) that single-player games are still being made. I ain't complaining, I love it.

If I don't like where things are going, then I'll just go back to how they once were; I have a SNES and a gamecube, I can revisit my childhood anytime I choose

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think this current gen is a disappointment, no games worth buying a xb1/ps4. To many re releases and many games released buggy and broken. Almost everyday there is some new anti game story whether GG or sjw or games being labeled sexist and racist for every single little thing. Its all getting toxic. Its sucking the fun out of gaming.

But there are a lot of interesting games on the horizon so lots to look forward to.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
SKBPinkie said:
But the whole "glorious indies should replace AAA scum" is an opinion I'm never gonna get.
I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that. I've seen people who prefer indie games because they deliver something the AAA industry just doesn't/won't do anymore, but that's about it.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I was starting to fall out of gaming not too long ago, and part of it was because all of my friends are too far away to play anything that we used to play together. The other part was because for the last few years most of the games media has been doing its best to make me feel bad for liking any of the games I liked. With no one left to have fun with and the media telling me I was a bad person for liking it, it was like the fun was just kind of sucked out it.

Oddly enough, gamergate and watching youtubers has gotten me back into gaming just when I thought I was done with the hobby. I also discovered a whole slew of games I didn't play before. So yeah, the fun is back, but jesus christ is it hard to enjoy it when there's an angry little group of fascist liberal types out there that hate me for it.

I wish we could go back to when developers could just make the games they wanted without publisher or media influence, and we could be free to like or hate those games on our own terms.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I played Cities Skylines for 5 hours yesterday and had a lot of fun.

I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars 2 lately and have been having a lot of fun (I like the more casual nature of this MMO compared to many others).

I finished Shadow of Mordor a little while back and had an absolute blast.

I regularly return to Skyrim for tons of fun with mods.

I regularly return to Mount and Blade Warband for tons of fun with mods.

I regularly have awesome games of Civ 5 with friends and have lots of fun.

I regularly have awesome games of Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion with friends and have lots of fun.

To me, gaming is very much still fun.

Edit: I should probably mention that IMO, the current gen of consoles is not worth getting into yet. There is exactly one exclusive title that I am interested in (Bloodborne) and that is not nearly enough for me to justify buying a console. So if that's more of the perspective you're coming from (you mention PC games, but it sounds like you're coming from more of a console perspective), I can sympathize.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Gaming has grown adult. And just like adulthood there are still fun things... but different from when you where a child.

Back in the day things used to be "fun" because video games was a market that was completly targeted at children. Video games where toys... simple as that.

Sega, Nintendo... both aiming for children and teenagers, nintendo even enforcing draconian rules as to what could go onto their consoles and what could not.

Nowadays the gaming industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the world and alot of people who arent involved in gaming whatsoever want a share of the pie.

Ofcourse that eventually lead to rather "unfun" practices, especially in the AAA market.

Not only that but we see more and more that political inclined figures discover gaming as a vehicle to further their own agendas. To use them as tools to get their message across or as scapegoats in an attempt to offer an aparantly (but wrong) easy solution to much complexer issues that might not even involve gaming in the first place... (same with comic books, Dungeons and dragons, rock music, rap music and the list goes on)

The games themselves can and still are fun... the politics that build up around gaming however... they havent been fun from the getgo. When games stopped being simple toys and became entertainment for everyone that childlike wonder kinda took a step back im afraid.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
You're browsing and posting text on an internet forum during your limited free time, if you find this fun then I'm at a loss for why gaming isn't entertaining for you.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm with you ... I've had a job for a 11 months and I was thinking "I can now afford all those games new and it will be awesome" but the reality is, I've lost my passion for it.

Games are just seeming very money grabby and under developed. New and interesting things are being replaced by dem graphics! Not to mention social, social, SOCIAL! Everything is always "what are your friends doing? Want to join them? Want to beat their high score? They just got this trophy/achievement! They have been playing X, Y and Z" ... I don't give 2 fucks! I get some do but fuck off!

The politics are draining my passion, the constant arguing ... especially resolution, FPS and what I perceive to be blatant sexism.

I'm also experiencing a lot fatigue. I loved DA:O, got more than I expected from DA2 and I am enjoying DA:I but every time I go to play it I think "I can't be arsed!"

The latest PS4 update also cheeses my nipples, who seriously wants a screenshot of the moment you got a trophy anyway? But that's getting awfully nit picky, so I will leave it at that.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I made this topic at the time of posting because I was just feeling rather blue, spending time thinking over many things, trying to get a job, my education back on track and everything around it including my hobbies. I'm into 3D modeling and thinking of becoming a game designer someday if I work toward that skill level. So I thought about how gaming is now and it prompted me to ask that question. And the whole gamergate thing? I just remember how annoyed I was about it, but I am completely ignorant to the real details or reasons behind it because I avoided it so much. I'm sorry for bringing it up and apologize if I offended anyone.

Yeah its a very common question, everyone doubts what they like at some point. Like my love for my most favorite franchise that made me into a gamer in the first place, Zelda, like I brought up before. I did not like Skyward Sword in the end, despite me finishing it. I hated the motion control, the way the story was told and the less said about Fi the better. It made me so disappointed I stopped buying nintendo products for 3 years until Tomodachi Life and Hyrule Warriors were released, I bought them and I still play them today with my sister.

Also I don't even own the consoles, I played them on my sister's consoles. No money to support my favorite hobby, so it made me rethink my life a little, prompting that question. It doesn't matter how fun a game is if I can't afford to play them, so is gaming still fun enough to be worth spending money on? Is it worth tolerating all the tedious parts about it that are now shoved on you whether you like it or not? The only games I want now are Smash Bros, the new zelda in the works if its promising enough, and littlebigplanet 3. Thats it. Nothing else looks interesting to me.

And to those who mention playing the older consoles, I have been doing that for years, you can only play your library you've already played before so many times until they become boring too. No matter how good they are.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
It's definitely less fun.

There are far less games out there which are actually about having fun, and are instead just mass produced, formulaic crap with no love/care/attention. There are also far more games out there which serve as a creative outlet for failed movie maker wannabees too, rather than something which engages the player.

And THAT's my biggest gripe - engaging the player. Assasin's Creed, some of the Prince of Persia games, GTA V, Red Dead Redemption etc. - these and more games don't require me there to play them. You can litterally play them with your eyes shut as they do all the hard work for you. Between auto lock aiming and guided combat etc. they don't actually involve you in anything but the most minimalistic way.

Throw in all the unecessary gumph like dating sim elements and fetch quests, and the actual fun you have is very, very small indeed. It's all about "satisfaction", and unless powering up your virtual penis levels feels satisfying, which it really doesn't to me, then there's nothing to enjoy.

I've just finished Risen 2, I'm midway through Deadly Premonition, and I've just started Arcania (Gothic 4) - all 3 of those titles have so far given me LOTS of fun. They're engaging, they're interesting, and for all their flaws they feel like a game. The get me involved and I'd sooner play any of them than the AAA crap mentioned earlier.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I'd say games have honestly only gotten better as I've gotten older.

I have simply found that my tastes for games have gotten more refined.

Things that are in the 'meh' pile, I no longer simply have the time to force myself through, but I am also mature enough to know that many people will like this game, so I don't say it's not fun, I'm much more happy to say "Ehh, not for me" and move on.

I've also found that as I get older, I am able to analyse why I enjoy a game, and so I enjoy it all the more. Is Metal Gear Solid great? Hell yeah. Is it even better now I can compare it to older science fiction movies, compare the characters to Rambo and Japanese anime and otakus and the Cold War? Now I can understand and even appreciate Kojima's nanomachine babble? God yes.

I love when I played Darkest Dungeon, I can sit down and figure out WHY it is such an amazing game. I can play Sunless Sea and love the art direction, comparing it to romantic painters and the writing to Lovecraft. I can play Tales of the Borderland and find the fun in the world that I never could get from the actual Borderland games. Compare the unusual subtlety of the Walking Dead compared to the old Romero movies. Listen to the music score of Final Fantasy and hear parts of other composers. Admire the camera angles used in Assassin's Creed when compared to older action films. Marvel as Nathan Drake imitates Indiana Jones.

The rise of the indie scene, as well as Telltale means all those games I imagined as a child, SOMEONE is now making them. Massive Chalice (as flawed as the execution was) is one of them, as is Darkest Dungeon and the Walking Dead. The new Phantom Pain combines what I love about Skyrim, Ass Creed and GTA and shoves a Metal Gear Solid skin over it, what is there not to love?

If anything, I am more excited by games than ever, because the possibilities have completely opened up.

There is also the added enjoyment of having worked for it; when I buy a game, I got it. I didn't have to wait for it if I didn't want to, it's mine and I earned it. No guilt at all. I now appreciate the value of the dollar, and I appreciate how lucky I am to be playing games as well.

But I will say this.

My enjoyment of games is almost directly tied to how little I talk on the internet about them. The more I listen to the Internet, the less I enjoy games, because loving and enjoying something is not good on the Internet. Frankly, the sooner you learn to stop listening to people who sit there and tell you why something you love is bad, the happier you'll be for it, because while there is value to other people's opinion, 90% of that value is negative.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
ThePurpleStuff said:
My love for modern gaming has wained since 6-7 years ago. I loved nintendo, but ever since they ruined my favorite series with Skyward Sword, I stopped buying products until Hyrule Warriors came out and I had the money to buy it. I'd get a wii u and 3DS for other games to just play it and smash bros if I could. Also a PS4 just to play littlebigplanet 3, but I can't play online anymore unless I pay for it... it all comes down to money.

Basically I don't have the money I used to to support my habits, and the interest in it just keeps going away with every negative story I read about triple A games.

You may bring up "play indie games, no triple A issues there" well I just don't care enough about them either. Exception with Starbound and Forge Quest, I play them a couple days then never pick them up again, just not enough to hold my interest for a long time.

What are your thoughts on gaming now? Do you like how gaming has become than it was when you were a kid? I, deep down, do not.
I'm not one of those Nintendo is for babies people. I love Nintendo. I just think that you should try some more mature focused games, as opposed to things like little big planet. Try a game series with some substance like Mass Effect, the Tales of series or Metal Gear. Nintendo games are great but I think I'd die a bit inside if I predominantly played them, again little big planet is a bit of fun but it wont change your life.

I'm the same as you concerning indie games. I find some are lots of fun but they don't hold my interest. None have left me amazed like games such as Tales of Vesperia and Mass Effect 2 have.

Gamings good these days. Better for me now because I am too large (and living elsewhere) for my parents to stop me playing games whenever I want. I have no nostalgia goggles or romanticised view of my childhood gaming experience, it was shit.
As for gaming in general its pretty good. There's positives and negatives like loads of awesome cheap pre-owned PS2 games, and things like cover plates for the 3Ds. But then you have Online multiplayer obsession and disgusting DLC practices. Its still just goods and bads.
Gaming is doing fine.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
You just need to embrace the kind of games you like. I've given up chasing the AAA scene wholesale and now I just play the kind of games I enjoy.

I like RTS, particularly Command & Conquer or anything involving spaceships. Sins and Homeworld have been great for this and that new BFG one they're making looks good as well.

SPACESHIP!!!

I also love stalking people and stealthing through areas so I'm replaying Dishonored and having a blast with that, generally doing a level as a stealthy nonlethal ghost and then playing it again on a kill-everyone rock out with your cock out run.

I'm also loving the Witcher games and the mass Effect games, it turns out what I also really like is killing monsters, being a dickhead and fucking virtual people.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
It's fun, but only if you play games you find fun. If you chase after good review scores, critical acclaim, or rabid fan bases you'll probably get more than a few disappointments. Go to a game store, do some internet searches, and try what looks fun.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
gaming is fun if you dont read all that crap about white male gamers of a 16-26 age range being the worst thing since Visual Boy. That crap is getting way out of hand.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I've found that playing most games by myself is more entertaining rather than "fun".

Where as to me "fun" is playing games with my brother or friends. (We're all still eagerly waiting for the GTA5 PC release in April)

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Play what's fun and ignore what isn't. There is more variety in videogames now than in almost any time in the history of the industry.

There is more to gaming than Triple A. And there are even great things there too.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I am still relatively as enthusiastic about games as I was before, just in a different way. I love playing games, I love getting new ones and trying out something that I haven't played before, I love new series, I love so much about it. I'm also much more picky now than I was as a kid. My tastes have changed, but my desire hasn't. I still love playing games, I just can't indulge in my habit as much as I used to. I also end up on the internet concerned more often than not what other people think about a game than I used to. It's one thing to want suggestions about games, but it's another that I feel like I need validation for the games that I do play, but once I'm done with them, I can shit on them all I want. It's a very weird thing honestly.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I?m the same, man. It?s not that I ?grew up? or anything stupid like that. I just?stopped playing. One day (about two years ago, maybe), I just stopped caring. I didn?t feel like spending £40 of my hard-earned money for a game that I might not even get the best out of, I never liked online gaming, and by then, I spent more time on my laptop, reading books, and doing newspaper puzzles.

I still have a soft spot for gaming. I always will. It was basically my childhood. I found friends through it, and every now and then, I might play a video game round my friend?s house or something. But I?m much more likely to whip out a Sudoku or a word-search in my spare time than bother shelling out Grand Theft Auto V and invest the blood, sweat and money downloading the DLC and completing it before I get bored again and buy the next instalment in the series.

The last game I can remember playing is Mighty Jill Off, an indie PC game. I spend more time watching other people play games nowadays (such as GameGrumps, even if I do occasionally mutter my frustrations at the screen whenever they fuck up on a game I know like the back of my hand; e.g. Donkey Kong Country 3). My Xbox 360 sits underneath the TV in my living room, gathering dust and looking forlornly at the only three games I ever bought for it: a FIFA game bundled with the system, Assassin?s Creed 2, and Super Street Fighter IV, the latter being the only one that I was pumped to get.

And my GBA doesn?t work anymore. I think the battery ran out or something, and I never bothered to buy a new one. I thought about getting a 3DS or even a smartphone or something, but I just?didn?t. I?m basically a boring old man in a 19-year-old?s body. ;)

Not to mention, all my fucking adult stuff gets in the way. That?s not a euphemism or anything, by the way; I just mean, some of the mental health issues I?ve developed in adolescence has just made it difficult to maintain some of the things I used to do for fun. I mean, I don?t watch nearly as many films as I used, probably because I?m a little bit too addicted to my laptop and I always end up playing catch-up, when I can be bothered, on programmes in a series that I?ve missed.