Is Gaming fun anymore?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I still like them. If they were not fun I would not be playing them and I would not feel a desire to hang around gaming websites like this one.

I'm probably harder to please these days as I have limited money to spend on games but it is still an enjoyable hobby that gives me hours of pleasure.

I stay out of gaming politics for the most part. There are only a couple of publishers out there that are truly too stupid to have my business and I let the rantier personalities that discuss gaming issues discuss them on their own time without impacting me.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Its fun with friends, and occasionaly a single player game comes along thats entertaining for a while.

I think a lot of people mix up childlike joy with a game and being entertained. You will probably never be completely happy just by playing a game like you might have been as a kid. I, at least, don't feel happy in the way I did as a kid. Not to say I don't enjoy it or I'm unhappy. I just can't pick up a game and have the time of my life within it like I used to with Pokemon or Rayman.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
most of big budget games made in the last decade are total garbage shooters either tps/fps that all wish they could be as good as Doom/Tombraider but just arent. For me its so bad that I can name very few games that I actually liked despite finishing hundreds of games. Even rpgs are getting turned into cover based shooters. Its disgusting. I understand cover based shooting works for gears of war but why does ever fing shooting game has to be exact copy paste of that game without the polish of AAA title.

Stealth games - where are you at? there were some but mostly underwhelming or completley terrible
what about good action games other than gow/dmc which growing more and more stale with each new title
rpgs - where are you? ff13-x omg that was awful. mass effect all but the first one are more of gear of war with good wirting. there were some rpgs like withcer/ni no kuni/alpha protocol/ that were alright but most were horrid games with incredibly poor writing that is just unaceptable in an rpg.
strategy games - completley absent. SC2 had incredibly boring single player and split into 3 different games ... fu blizzard. other than that I cant even remeber anything half decent
turn based strategy games - gone. other than Disgaea and xcom reboot that is way way worse than original. yet we have 10 billion rereleases of buyitagainHD of FFT.

most newer games get shinier graphicly and dumbed down to the point of unplayable

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
dishonored is action kill everyone game stealthing in it is incredibly boring. HR is a decent rpg. mark of ninja is like 3 hours long and mostly focused on killing stuff at least it was for me. mgs 5 is not even out yet if you mean mgs 4 that game was very undrwhelming. alien isolation is horror survial suprisingly decent one.
Decent stealth games are Hitmam,Stix master of shadows cant think of any more than that

bayoneta 1 is amazing. bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 are on a console I will never buy. mgs rvengence is not a good game. first 2 arkham games are great with 3rd one being unplayable till a year after release due to bugs. I consider that still lacking comparing to previous less shiny decade.

rpgs I guess there are enough decent ones as I am remembering some

endless space/Europa Universalis/Galactic Civilizations, Crusader Kings 2 are very niche games which I couldnt get into after trying multiple times. Age of Wonders 3 is meh and way too easy. Total War/valkyria chronicles/ are great but that are once again way too few games.

Also you dont have to list games for me as I have played almost all games that came out in last 25 years that looked even remotley interesting to me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes gaming is still fun, the games themselves might be more hit or miss, but the act of gaming is still something I find highly enjoyable, and love doing. Your mileage may vary though.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Other than playing the guitar and hiking, playing videogames is my go to hobby and I am currently enjoying playing through Bloodborne and Final fantasy type 0 HD. I am also impatiently awaiting for Persona 5 to be released later on this year. For me, nothing quite beats coming home from a long day at work and just picking up my controller and playing. I tend not to read reviews, other than watching Zero punctuation as I dislike the idea of paying £5 and over for a magazine that doesn't have much rereading value.