Is HOXAR Inc. John Romero's New PC Game?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Is HOXAR Inc. John Romero's New PC Game?

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1312/1312902.jpgHOXAR Inc. might not be a company at all. It could be the newest shooter from DOOM co-creator John Romero.

At first glance, the website for HOXAR Inc. [http://www.hoxar-inc.com/] looks like any corporate site out there. But phrases like "The Holodeck is real," and claims that the company is "the cutting edge developer, fabricator, and operator of holographic solutions around the globe," are enough to give you pause.

Where things really get interesting is when you learn that an anonymous source has told hinted at a new PC shooter [http://www.shacknews.com/article/94156/what-is-hoxar-inc-apparently-john-romero-knows], and this apparently has something to do with it.

This supposed link was strengthened by a tweet from Romero today that appears to confirm the Shacknews story:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/romero/status/721093845161783297]

We'll have to wait and see exactly what HOXAR Inc. turns out to be, but for now, just enjoy the show.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
A part of me will always be apprehensive of anything Romero does. Whenever he surfaces my head will continually repeat "Don't fall for his bullshit. Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana..."
I don't want the man to fail, not by any means but I'm still feeling that burn nearly 20 years later.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
A part of me will always be apprehensive of anything Romero does. Whenever he surfaces my head will continually repeat "Don't fall for his bullshit. Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana Daikatana..."
I don't want the man to fail, not by any means but I'm still feeling that burn nearly 20 years later.
Met the man several times, the last at QuakeCon in 2014. He has matured a lot and regrets some of his younger transgressions. Really a good guy.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Pretty sure i saw a toothpaste advert like that once. She isn't showing any teeth, but i bet they are blinding white and fully protected from the horrors of devouring ice-cream and tea within the same course.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
John Keefer said:
Met the man several times, the last at QuakeCon in 2014. He has matured a lot and regrets some of his younger transgressions. Really a good guy.
It's good to see him back on the horse, as it were.

If you consider dai katana features that were planned, it was significantly ahead of its time in regards to what it was trying to offer.
Features we take for granted in current fps.
Unfortunately as ahead of the curve as the ideas were, so was the capacity to provide those concepts, but I don't want to go into a dai katana thing here.
I'll just go out on saying that it's going to be interesting seeing what ideas have bubbled up this time.

by the way
Did I read right in the twitter feed on the side of the page?
this is an exclusive?
If so, congratulations.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Mikeybb said:
John Keefer said:
by the way
Did I read right in the twitter feed on the side of the page?
this is an exclusive?
If so, congratulations.
Yes, it was. Thanks. And I appreciate the Escapist posting it from Shacknews.

I will still poke in here from time to time.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
John Keefer said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'm absolutely sure he's humbled himself over the years. I'd be more surprised if he didn't. Its just hard to get over something like that, it'll always be sitting in the back of my mind. I still hope though he finds major success because his pre-Daikatana work has a special place in my heart.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
John Keefer said:
I remember someone created a hentai mod of Doom and people kept tweeting gifs of it to him. He acted as if it was the funniest thing ever. Yeh, real mature. XD

Then again, who really is?! Definitely not me.

OT: Shooters are getting my attention less and less these days. Unless it does something fundamentally different or adds something new then I will probably pass. For the longest time I thought Overwatch and Battleborn were the same damn game.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Objectable said:
Are people still holding Daikatana against this guy? Wasn't that like twenty years ago?
Ah, but we gamers hold on to our passions with an ardent fervor. To this day, you can still hear cries of "Imperials or Stormcloaks?" in the deepest, darkest depths of the Interwebzeeverse.

And that goes without mentioning how saying the words "Mass Effect 3's Ending" still has people react as though acid reflux were something you needed to expel with a high-pressure nozzle. Dat bile...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
People say Daikatana was a bad thing. I disagree, cause who knows, without that game we might never have gotten Jontron. I say it was worth it.

That said, I hold no hype for Romero. I love the id games he helped make, but they aren't exactly a varied bunch, and since he is not involved in the new DOOM, well... Hope he makes something good though, but then I hope most games are good, cause bad games are bad.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I hope at some point to put a similar Advertisment like it was for Daikatana:

"John Romero will F*CK you in the ASS....AGAIN B*TCH!!!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh look, Romero being edgy by using a meme for the name of his game. What's that Romero? You've become irrelevant in the modern gaming industry?

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
mad825 said:
Oh look, Romero being edgy by using a meme for the name of his game. What's that Romero? You've become irrelevant in the modern gaming industry?
What meme would that be? I'm not the most meme-aware person, but I've never heard of it. Honestly curious.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
MetalheroDamien said:
What meme would that be? I'm not the most meme-aware person, but I've never heard of it. Honestly curious.
If you swap the A and O with each other you get Haxor aka "hacker".

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
mad825 said:
MetalheroDamien said:
If you swap the A and O with each other you get Haxor aka "hacker".
I wouldn't really call that a meme, and if it's a cyberpunk game, that'd probably be fitting.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
MetalheroDamien said:
]I wouldn't really call that a meme, and if it's a cyberpunk game, that'd probably be fitting.
Christ, how old are you? Haxor is an insult or a joke at best. It's mostly aimed at kids who use script kiddy or notepad to "hack".