Is IGN really ignorant?

Rock-nerd

Apr 6, 2012
IGN has been getting a lot of bad rep because of their reviews, lets say a game that someone finds perfect gets an 8.5 on IGN? They lash out at them, saying they're cod fanboys, and IS even clever enough to call them IGNorant.

Well, if they say a game isn't perfect, then it's not perfect! it's their job to talk about the negatives aswell as the positives. I don't want to go out and buy a crap game just because IGN sugarcoated it in a review.

Your thoughts?

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
I find the bigger problem being them giving perfect or near perfect scores to games that are clearly and fundamentally flawed, that one cannot even fathom having such a high score.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I think this whole "IGNorant" thing is really stupid. It's clearly not true at all. The people who say about it in regard to their reviews are total hypocrites too. Calling someone ignorant who had played a game they haven't. The hypocrisy is so blatant I don't know how these people don't realise it. IGN aren't ignorant. They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Scrustle said:
They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.
Pretty much this. Their review for "I Am Alive" had me wondering if they had a monkey trying out the game.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
Scrustle said:
They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.
This.

They're probably absolutely eating up the traffic that their website has been getting ever since Jessica what's-her-face showed up in Mass Effect Three in all her PSP licking glory. Who cares if it's bad for them? Ad revenue is Ad revenue.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Iwata said:
Scrustle said:
Pretty much this. Their review for "I Am Alive" had me wondering if they had a monkey trying out the game.
The thing about that review which makes me suspicious is that it's an XBLA exclusive and yet they got their reviewer who is a self admitted Sony fanboy to review it. I can't say I disagree with him since I haven't played the game myself and from what I've seen of the game his criticisms seem to have been valid, but that doesn't negate the fact that he had biases and they still got him to do that review.

derintrel

Feb 18, 2010
Iwata said:
For what reason do you say this I wonder? They were hardly the only site that gave it a bad review.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
They are ignorant of heir own guilt, and heir guilt lies in omission.
Which they would know if anyone there was an actual journalist that has been educated on proper ethics and standards that come with their territory.

But what they really are is a bunch of hobby writers who happen to like games (or have big breasts that get put into Bioware games, and then people still like to imagine they are impartial... hilarious).
And as such they really don't give a shit what they write or how they present themselves as long as the big bucks roll in, they are salesmen under false pretenses.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
derintrel said:
Iwata said:
For what reason do you say this I wonder? They were hardly the only site that gave it a bad review.
They complain about the graphics. They are fine. I've bought AAA releases that look worse than this downloadable game.

They complain about the fog. The game renders distances fine, the fog only comes into play at ground level (and even then not everywhere) and adds to the sense of being lost when you're on the ground and have to resort to your map and people's voices to try and find your way..

They complain about being able to replenish stamina instantly and thus removing tension, but never mention that your resources are so scarce that often using a single piece of drink is a serious blow and has to be managed carefuly, so it really isn't "I'll just use this and be fine", it's more like "Dammit, I HAVE to use this to not die".

They try to over-simplify the game as simply being "fetch quests", when it's much more than that. I've seen them giving awesome scores to games with much baser gameplay.

They say the Iron Sights in the pistol aren't responsive, which is moronic. "Some opponents require refined accuracy", which tells me he either didn't play the game, or he played it wrong. The game instantly locks you onto ANY enemy, and requires no real aiming whatsoever other than switching enemies with the thumbstick. This isn't a shooter.

They even complain on how the bow takes "too damn long" to shoot! Yeah, that's a valid criticism! At this stage you can tell the reviewer is just pretty much phoning it in. Ever fired a bow? I have. I takes easily two or three times the time it takes in the game.

But anyway, reviews are just that: personal opinions. I care little for reviews, but even among those, IGN's have a well-deserved reputation for being nonsense.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Rock-nerd said:
IGN has been getting a lot of bad rep because of their reviews, lets say a game that someone finds perfect gets an 8.5 on IGN? They lash out at them, saying they're cod fanboys, and IS even clever enough to call them IGNorant.
The Jimquisition episode Hate out of Ten [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten] talked about that issue. Well, not IGN but in general.

Well, other than that, I don't think I can add much. I don't follow IGN at all, so I have no opinion on them. I see a lot of people criticising them, though, well a lot more than praising them. Which doesn't mean anything to me.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
IGN review of Eragon:

Presentation: 9.5. The font size is very readable, there are plenty of paragraph breaks, and there are very few typos.

Cover Art: 9.0. This book has a pretty picture of a dragon on the front.

Prose: 8.0. The book is easy to read, but some of the words in the author's constructed language are hard to remember.

Writing: 7.5. The story is easy to follow, but there are plot holes and the characters and dialogue aren't very good.

Lasting Appeal: 10.0. With four books and a movie, there's enough here to keep you occupied for a while.

Overall: 9.0. Amazing.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
SargentToughie said:
Scrustle said:
This.

They're probably absolutely eating up the traffic that their website has been getting ever since Jessica what's-her-face showed up in Mass Effect Three in all her PSP licking glory. Who cares if it's bad for them? Ad revenue is Ad revenue.
Oh god all the people like Jessica and that dumb chick that does the video/news coverage make me sick. Its like "HEY NERDS LOOK!! TITS!" I give them credit for using women in gaming shirts to get traffic though, its pretty smart if you think about it.

People are too picky about number reviews to be honest (METACRITIC NEEDS TO DIE). The best reviews in my opinion don't have number ratings, but actual quality writing about what the game has to offer. Also they have a really bad habit of getting people to review games who hate the series/genre/console/etc. And don't forgot the articles written to stir up fan boys "why Dark Souls is better than Skyrim" being my personal favorite.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
IGN is the Kotaku of video games. They're masters of Nerd Baiting and get tons of traffic from doing it because people are easy to get ragging and posting / linking that crap EVERYWHERE.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
They have some low lows, for sure. But mostly they are just guilty of pandering. They did have a good article a week or two ago about poor working conditions for game testers. It was odd seeing an article like that on IGN.

Qitz said:
IGN is the Kotaku of video games. They're masters of Nerd Baiting and get tons of traffic from doing it because people are easy to get ragging and posting / linking that crap EVERYWHERE.
I thought Kotaku was the Kotaku of video games...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Don Savik said:
Oh god all the people like Jessica and that dumb chick that does the video/news coverage make me sick. Its like "HEY NERDS LOOK!! TITS!" I give them credit for using women in gaming shirts to get traffic though, its pretty smart if you think about it.

People are too picky about number reviews to be honest (METACRITIC NEEDS TO DIE). The best reviews in my opinion don't have number ratings, but actual quality writing about what the game has to offer. Also they have a really bad habit of getting people to review games who hate the series/genre/console/etc. And don't forgot the articles written to stir up fan boys "why Dark Souls is better than Skyrim" being my personal favorite.
Those 2 things are things that I really can't stand about IGN. Jessica Chobot and the other one who looks and even sounds like her blonde clone are there for nothing more than eye candy. And if you ever take a look at the comments sections in ANYTHING they are in.... just don't. If you had any faith in human kind at all that is sure to destroy it.

And that Dark Souls article was complete crap too. Completely contrived and obvious flame bait. And I think I'm right in saying the article was published before either game was even released, so it was based on nothing but hype anyway! Yet again, the IGN comment sections did a great job of dealing with that maturely. You still get the occasional reference to it around the place. So fucking disgraceful and childish.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
DustyDrB said:
They have some low lows, for sure. But mostly they are just guilty of pandering. They did have a good article a week or two ago about poor working conditions for game testers. It was odd seeing an article like that on IGN.

Qitz said:
I thought Kotaku was the Kotaku of video games...
Yeah that was my thought as well :S

OT: I thought that if anything IGN's scores were considered too generous by people.

onegirlgaming

Apr 7, 2012
xSKULLY said:
to elaborate a review is giving you an opinion, opinions are subjective so everyone's opinion will be different, what you think is a big deal/game breaking/fun is different to what i think is a big deal/game breaking/fun and this problem gets worse when you factor in the shitty scoring systems game reviewers use and the butthurt level of the average fan boy, making large, stupid, immature and meaningless flame wars.
Well said! It's impossible to cover in 800 - 1400 words enough information to describe what every reader might want to know anyway. There are more than enough well produced non-commercial gaming websites out there that people can go to if they're concerned about the potential bias of a reviewer who's in bed with generous PR or whatever.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
xSKULLY said:
the average internet user: a reviewer has an opinion different to mine!

a sensible person on the internet: /faceplam why am i surrounded by immature idiots.

to elaborate a review is giving you an opinion, opinions are subjective so everyone's opinion will be different, what you think is a big deal/game breaking/fun is different to what i think is a big deal/game breaking/fun and this problem gets worse when you factor in the shitty scoring systems game reviewers use and the butthurt level of the average fan boy, making large, stupid, immature and meaningless flame wars.
Actually a lot of the criticism of IGN has nothing to do with the review scores (after all, every critic gets flack for what they like/criticise about games) Although their review scores are incredibly suspect at best.

They write deliberately trolling articles about issues in games they know are sensitive issues, and talk absolute bollocks about them, just to stir up traffic for their site. You can't read an IGN article with a straight face because most of the reviewers that write this dribble are so full of bile that if the theory of the 4 humours was correct they would all have died long ago from Choleric disease.

They also employ their female reviewers pretty much just for their looks. In everything they use the lowest business practices to get people onto their site. Let's just say they don't exactly do anything positive for the gaming community or its perception by modern media.