Is IGN really ignorant?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Like others have said already. Many of their contributors are unprofessional and they are far too close to the publishers. Plus, most of their articles are flamebait made only to bring in more hits.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Iwata said:
Scrustle said:
They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.
Pretty much this. Their review for "I Am Alive" had me wondering if they had a monkey trying out the game.
Yeah, I got that impression as well. Either that, or the reviewer just didn't like the game and let that seep too much into his review.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Scrustle said:
I think this whole "IGNorant" thing is really stupid. It's clearly not true at all. The people who say about it in regard to their reviews are total hypocrites too. Calling someone ignorant who had played a game they haven't. The hypocrisy is so blatant I don't know how these people don't realise it. IGN aren't ignorant. They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.
I'd say that at least one of their guys, matt fowler who does the pro-wrestling reviews is good at writing, but other than him, yeah. IGN abandons quality for flame wars to get the most pageviews and comments on their site.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Although strangely I've found that Australian side of IGN produce pretty intelligent original content, in comparison to the rest of the contributors anyway. I think they were the first to start running an opinion piece video series too. I don't know if it's still going but I remember it being pretty good. The funny thing is they actually names the series after this "IGNorant" meme, or at least I think they did. They were called "IGN AU rant", and at the beginning of every episode they said "it's pronounced 'ignorant'!" in a jokey way.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Well it's usually the other way around, where they give otherwise bad games amazing review scores.

They fault some titles for being just a repeat of whatever the game before it was, yet gives CoD almost perfect marks every single time.

The Mass Effect review was pretty iffy if you ask me. They have one of their employees star in the game and then happen to give it a perfect score. Coincidence? I honestly can't think of a good reason why Chobot was in ME3, she's a terrible voice actor (I almost cringe) and she's just a distracting presence. Bioware apparently even knew how bad she is because you're allowed to kick her off the ship anytime you want. The only reaon that makes sense is it was some kind of agreement between the two, IGN get's the massive amount of attention and ME3 gets great scores on one of the mega review corps.
Sure, saying IGNorant isnt exactly clever but that doesn't make the critisism any less valid. IGN is all paid off by the giant companies as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I don't watch their stuff.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
IGN review of Eragon:

Presentation: 9.5. The font size is very readable, there are plenty of paragraph breaks, and there are very few typos.

Cover Art: 9.0. This book has a pretty picture of a dragon on the front.

Prose: 8.0. The book is easy to read, but some of the words in the author's constructed language are hard to remember.

Writing: 7.5. The story is easy to follow, but there are plot holes and the characters and dialogue aren't very good.

Lasting Appeal: 10.0. With four books and a movie, there's enough here to keep you occupied for a while.

Overall: 9.0. Amazing.
But i thought people generally liked the books. What i heard was that the books were great, but the movie was shit.

OT: I pretty much just watched the IGN review of Skullgirls and it pretty much represented everything i dislike about IGN because they just don't seem credible in what they say. It's like they don't even believe in their own praise (which drags on a lot) and then just skim over the things that make it a lesser good game.

So yeah... i don't think they balance their reviews very well (because they have been nown to tilt both ways) and in my mind that makes them unreliable for proper reviewing.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Fleetfiend said:
Iwata said:
Scrustle said:
They're a bunch of sub-par writers who try to get traffic by stirring up bull shit.
Pretty much this. Their review for "I Am Alive" had me wondering if they had a monkey trying out the game.
Yeah, I got that impression as well. Either that, or the reviewer just didn't like the game and let that seep too much into his review.
This happens relatively often with IGN. If you don't have a massive marketing hype machine and your game is difficult, niche, or complex, the review's basically a crap shoot.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Kahunaburger said:
IGN review of Eragon:

Presentation: 9.5. The font size is very readable, there are plenty of paragraph breaks, and there are very few typos.

Cover Art: 9.0. This book has a pretty picture of a dragon on the front.

Prose: 8.0. The book is easy to read, but some of the words in the author's constructed language are hard to remember.

Writing: 7.5. The story is easy to follow, but there are plot holes and the characters and dialogue aren't very good.

Lasting Appeal: 10.0. With four books and a movie, there's enough here to keep you occupied for a while.

Overall: 9.0. Amazing.
But i thought people generally liked the books. What i heard was that the books were great, but the movie was shit.
They were both terrible by normal standards. The book at least had an excuse - it was written by a kid who was homeschooled. If, on the other hand, you want to see what the world looks like to a kid with above-average verbal/linguistic skills, below-average social skills, and little to no breadth or depth of real-world experience, they're a somewhat interesting read.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, it's like the console wars. People tend to flock towards reviewers and critics they tend to agree with. IGN has become a big deal because a LOT of people like it, and agree with it's point of view, making it one of the more influential sources when it comes to gaming and geek culture. As a result those who don't agree with it, tend to be increasingly resentful because of all the people that do, and the weight it pulls.

As odd as it sounds I think IGN winds up exercising a little more freedom of opinion than other similar sites, even if it's still very topheavy. While IGN is manipulated by the industry due to IGN's dependance on it, the sheer popularity of IGN and size of it's organization gives it a little counter-pull, as does it branching out into more things than just games. As a result while IGN can't tank a popular/expensive AAA title from a big publisher, it can be less than glowing about it in a way that other similar organizations can't. Thus series fanboys get upset when they become used to "everyone" loving their mania of choice and see a major organization saying otherwise even if they aren't exactly negative. The same applies to their high ratings of products that otherwise wind up getting panned, which usually amounts to the amount of advertising dollars behind them (ie the less money behind a game, the more honest you can be), in cases like that it's usually IGN's reviewers simply liking something that other sources didn't, and that is why we have differant reviewers and critics, with differant points of view.

I'm not a huge IGN fan, this is just how I see things.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
My thoughts on any reviewer are that you need to become familiar with what that reviewer says about a game and compare it to what you think about it when you've played it.

To use an example here at escapist, I've come to accept many of the comments that Yahtzee makes about a game. While he does tend towards hyperbole, the heart of what he says about many of the games he reviews seem to correlate with my experiences (look at either of the two Tomb Raider reviews). His Fallout 3 & New Vegas reviews (and Oblivion--since we're dealing with the same engine) also seem to measure up with my experience. This does not mean that everything he says must be heeded.

My relationship with MovieBob is similar to this. I have had to watch a couple of the movies and re-watch his reviews to see I my experience is affected by his point-of-view. There are concerns that Bob has that I don't have with movies, but I can respect where he is coming from and, in many cases, get a new perspective on the movie experience as a result of it.

I think it is also a good thing to read/watch multiple reviews to see what many reviewers are picking up on as strengths and weaknesses in the game/movie. Look no further than the Amy reviews. I had been interested in the game, but lost all interest because of the multitude of reviews that pointed out the very things that often frustrate me when I am playing a game. Similarly, I have paused in purchasing I Am Alive because of the tepid reviews it received.

So, to answer the question, if IGN is unduly rosy when publishing its reviews, I can temper it with Yahtzee or G4 or any number of reviews around the web.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
I will summarize anything I say with a youtube comment.

You cannot spell ignorant without IGN.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Eeew, I don't really read reviews. I used to listen to the Xbox specific podcast though I like the personalities of the writers a lot more in relaxed settings and it was interesting to see what they said about games and other issues when they were just talking to each other in a casual way rather than a paid review. I haven't listened in a while though I quit about the time Hilary got a promotion or something. Maybe I should start listening again...

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
IGN is extremely ignorant. You haven't looked very hard, have you?

Often times, they will rant about how "poorly" they think a game did something that it wasn't even setting out to do, like Zapper: One Wicked Cricket!. Heck, they were blaming it for things it never even did! They also say things that make you wonder if they've even played videogames, before. Take their "review" of [Prototype], for example. They whined about this one attack you have that plummets you down and you have to have to hold the "X" and "B" buttons together and it's so hard to do tha- ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! Have these people ever even seen an X-Box 360 controller? It's so easy! And I love how they completely neglect saying anything about the PS3 and PC versions. They just stick to the 360. And the attack doesn't plummet you down. It's a homing attack. They nitpick at the stupidest, teeny detail we might not have even noticed and completely blow it way out of proportion!

And, of course, I will never forget what was said in their review for Assassins Creed. It went something like...

"We won't give away what happens at the beginning of this game, but, we'll spoil the ending of The Sixth Sense for you!

It isn't about the ratings at all. It's the absolute foolishness they keep spitting out all the time.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Scrustle said:
Iwata said:
Scrustle said:
The thing about that review which makes me suspicious is that it's an XBLA exclusive and yet they got their reviewer who is a self admitted Sony fanboy to review it. I can't say I disagree with him since I haven't played the game myself and from what I've seen of the game his criticisms seem to have been valid, but that doesn't negate the fact that he had biases and they still got him to do that review.
I Am Alive's on PS3.

Lugbzurg said:
"We won't give away what happens at the beginning of this game, but, we'll spoil the ending of The Sixth Sense for you!
To be fair, everyone spoils The Sixth Sense. That's what it's there for.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
xSKULLY said:
to elaborate a review is giving you an opinion, opinions are subjective so everyone's opinion will be different, what you think is a big deal/game breaking/fun is different to what i think is a big deal/game breaking/fun and this problem gets worse when you factor in the shitty scoring systems game reviewers use and the butthurt level of the average fan boy, making large, stupid, immature and meaningless flame wars.
One thing is having an opinion, another is checking out the review for Modern Warfare 3 and seeing that you could find the exact same information on it's cover.

Wow. It's not even an opinion, it's the gaming equivalent to a description of eating a thick grey paste with no taste and give it a 10/10 at the end.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
No, IGN is not ignorant. Some of the writers at IGN may be biased and ignorant, though, just like some of the people who call them ignorant.