Is it good to never play WoW?

Koloman Varady

Apr 2, 2010
Meh, I wouldn't. There's other games that can give more fun per hour spent and in any online game you can find a buncha cool people to hang with.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
It all depends on who you play with. Whether you enjoy the game or not largely depends on what kind of people you surround yourself with.

Jim From Accounting

Mar 10, 2010
meh i played it for about 6 months and most of the time was spent ruining hear kill that run there kill that play some pvp and make anal joke's.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
You know as much as I'd speak against the game having seen first hand how addicting it is, I'd say no.

WoW is still a really good game that anyone with a PC should give a go, but like with anything moderation is key.

Just remember, just because the game has no end doesn't mean it has no end for you.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
666Chaos said:
Ranorak said:
Zeithri said:
Ranorak said:
Zeithri said:
No it isn't worth checking out even if you are into MMO's.
If it was Pre-TBC, then I'd say yes. But after that? No, don't.

And yes, it is Grindtastic.
Not as bad as many others but your manager is wrong if she says it isn't.
Funny you say that, Because Pre-TBC was FAR FAR more grindtastic then WotLK is.
In fact, a lot of grind has been removed.
The issue isn't the grind.
It's the lore.
What about it?
Sure, the lore is advancing. But what?
It's not going the direction you like....or?
In pre-bc they had some interesting lore and it all sort of lead up to something in later zones. The attunement quests were also a way to give you a reason to go into the raid and try and kill the big bad guy not just because hes got some loot. Then their was opening the gates of AQ which was probably my best wow experience i ever had, even more so since i was on medivh the first server to open them. In BC they used the warcraft 3 lore and except for kara it kind of made some sense. Now comes wrath where they completely scrapped the idea of using any backstory and rehashed a few raids. Naxx made no sense being in wrath and neither did ony, toc was a quick thrown together patch to stop people from quitting and uldaar was a complete and udder mess. Basically they said ok the big baddy in the lich king but your not gonna be able to do anything about him for acouple years while we thrown random shit at you.
I have to object here.
The Attunement quests that you said gave you a reason to go into the instances are still there.
They're just no longer mandatory to do.
What I mean is. EVERY major instance in WotLK has a long quest chain leading up to it, explaining it's lore, and giving you a reason to enter them.
The AQ opening was awesome, but in the end just a long interaction between NPC's, the players had no role in it, besides causing massive lag.
The actual interaction we had was the LOOOOOOOOOOONG grind before it.
While WotLK has such epic quests as the Wrathgate, Battle of the Undercity, The Quest chain with Matthias Lehner.

Naxx was there, because not many players had a chance to do it before TBC made it obsolete and Ony was more of a birthday tribute then a actual lore instance.

WotLK was far FAR more lore inspired then TBC, who's only zones with actual lore that continued from WC3 were Hellfire and Shadowmoon.

And while I agree that TotC was just a filler instance, it was one that many people wanted, i.e. A instance with just boss fights without a lot of walking and trashmobs.

For me personally WoW is going in a great direction, it's story telling increases with both cutscenes and phasing, it's quests, while the major part is still Kill X of Y to get item Z, are more and more interrupted with the occasional refreshing quest.
The long and boring grinds are removed or made easier for people with more then 1 character.

Imagine you had 5 level 60's in Vanilla, and wanted to raid with all of them.
Can you imagine the endless grind for gear, attunements and resistance.
I can understand that some people won't agree with me on this. But Blizzard has picked a direction they want this game to go in, and I think they did a great job.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Yureina said:
I played WoW for 5 years... wait I just made this post last night. I'll try to shorten it ;P

WoW can be pretty fun, but its largely dependent upon who you end up playing with once the novelty of the game fades away. If you end up with bad people, it will ruin your gaming experience, but if you end up with cool people you can have alot of fun with it.

As far as grind goes, it's not as bad as some other games, but its still grind business that can get really old really fast. There's enough opportunity to give yourself variety, but its all still a grindy sort of business.

Oh, and as for what "warcrack" does to people... it only really does that if you let it. If you have some other important thing in your life, then it probably won't happen to you though. It's just a matter of taking things in moderation, as with everything else (except forum posting!)

If you are into MMO's, i'd check it out. If not, don't.
This. I'm also a player of 5 years, and while I tend to get burned out from the grind every now and then (currently a bit tired of it, fyi), it's still a game that has kept me interested in various ways over the years, obviously. I do not raid, I don't PVP like I used to nor do I play as much as I used to, but I attribute that to my availability and the fact that PVPing and raiding has changed so much, I've not been able to stay interested.

That being said, there are many things you can do within the game depending on your interests, and Blizzard has made the game a LOT more casual-friendly than it ever was (for example: while I miss the way the PVP system used to be in MANY ways, I do NOT miss the pressure to "keep up" with it-you no longer have to maintain a certain amount of playing completely dedicated to PVP if you don't want to, whereas in the past, if you wanted the best gear and the highest ranking, you had to accrue and maintain a certain amount of "honor" each week or drop lower on the rank ladder).

The game has rather rich lore, so if plot/lore is anything of interest to you, you'll find the game rewarding in many ways. I would suggest taking a look at http://www.wowwiki.com/Main_Page and just poking around there looking up the factions and races/classes to see if it piques your interest.

The community...can be challenging, if you are looking for a social aspect. Some servers (and within them, the factions) have a very nice, friendly and helpful community (sometimes it's different-one faction being wonderful the other not, sometimes both sides are awesome), in other cases, the servers are filled with utter trash. You have the option of turning off the more global chats to avoid some of the mediocrity and just focus on talking to friends/guildmates (like MANY in my guild do), so you won't be totally bereft of an in-game social life should you choose to be social. You don't HAVE to talk to anyone, tho, especially since Blizz has made much of the game solo player-friendly and introduced random instance (dungeon) queuing, so that it's easier to find parties to run with.

As for "what it's done to people", I'd like to reiterate that I've played for 5 years, and the only thing it's done to me is enhance my relationship with my GF--she's a tank, I'm a healer, we play together. I've never had any problem just getting up and leaving (well...no, in Vanilla Wow's PVP system, I found that I could NOT stop PVPing until I had 150k honor a week, but we don't talk about that...). I guess if you have an addictive personality or a lack of willpower, it could get to be a problem, but if not *shrug* there's no reason to not take a shot with the trial version for a couple of weeks. I know people who play for fun, like myself, and I've had to fire people at work who called out or just didn't show up because they wanted to raid or, in one case, thought he'd not get caught at the midnight sale of Burning Crusade. Too bad for him, I have spies... >=D

(Sorry if this was a bit long, I just grow tired of folks bashing the game for no other reason than it's popular, so suggesting it to new players is kinda fun.)

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Zeithri said:
Ranorak said:
Zeithri said:
Ranorak said:
Zeithri said:
No it isn't worth checking out even if you are into MMO's.
If it was Pre-TBC, then I'd say yes. But after that? No, don't.

And yes, it is Grindtastic.
Not as bad as many others but your manager is wrong if she says it isn't.
Funny you say that, Because Pre-TBC was FAR FAR more grindtastic then WotLK is.
In fact, a lot of grind has been removed.
The issue isn't the grind.
It's the lore.
What about it?
Sure, the lore is advancing. But what?
It's not going the direction you like....or?
The lore isn't advancing.
The lore have taken a fork-cut, dugged out a lake with a spoon and took a crap in there.
It -MESSED IT- up.

But hey! It's their lore so let us let them get away with it.
Pre-BC lore isn't a concern to a player 5 years removed from the start of a game that was using years-old lore to begin with. If it is someone with fresh eyes, they aren't going to know the difference until/unless they go digging for themselves or have vanilla-wow lore/gameplay stories shoved down their throat by players who can't accept change by the authors of said lore.
[footnote]I'm not attacking your opinion on the lore, cos I agree that some of the changes aren't good, but I won't try and dissuade someone from playing a game that they are all but completely unfamiliar with over a few old tales about Tauren now vs Tauren then.[/footnote]

LokiSuaveHP

Feb 21, 2010
If I were going to play WoW, or start another character or something along those lines. I would wait about half of a year and start it at Catacylsm. Since we're going to discard end game raiding in the first two expansions because nobody does that anymore, the questing system before the Burning Crusade needs a bit of help. It has gotten some zones re-vamped to make it less of a pain in the ass, but you still will crap out at the grind from 28-30 (unless you level doing PvP), or (and this is more common) level 38-42. When you get to the higher content, they allow you to buy items that make your character level faster that can be sent to new characters to make this leveling faster. I enjoyed leveling characters again, but that was simply because my first character was leveled at release and the leveling process was so God-awful and I had no idea what I was doing that its nice to have an easy time doing it now.

I recommend World of WarCraft full-heartedly, and if you're interested, you might want to try and level something in the Old World before everything gets changed with Cataclysm to say that you did. But, if you're going to go into the game hating it already, then you'll probably quit before you get out of Dun Morough, because WoW depends a lot on the "HOLY SHIT THAT PLACE IS PRETTY COOL" factor, and if you are more concerned about being pissed off because you have to collect 8 boar meat and less concerned that your home was wiped out by a nuclear attack and you have to save it, then well (and I've never played any other MMORPG, but this is my assumption) you probably don't want to play an MMO because they are all going to have things like this. I'll get back to you after Cataclysm is released and I have leveled two or three more characters. Grinding will always be there, but so will the cool stuff.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
My opinion of WoW has been that its just a huge grindtastic game... But talking to my manager at work who loves WoW she tells me that im wrong.

Me, I've always been a "console-tard" and not part of the "pc-gaming master race." I grew up playing nintendo until the Wii came out and the xbox360 is now my gaming of choice but i think i would like mmos a lot though I've seen what it has done to people.

In the distant past when i had some friends who played runescape i joined mostly because we worked together but when they quit i played it for a while longer cause it was free but then i found it to be so horrible that i had to quit.

So my question is WoW really worth looking into? and why?
WoW and all MMOs are grindtastic. Anyone who says differently is lying to you and probably themselves. That being said, grinding is the nature of the MMO beast but does not automatically remove the fun.

I really liked WoW but if you do not have oodles of spare time to toss away, you may find any MMO not very fulfilling, but it totally depends on your personality.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Nemu said:
Yureina said:
I played WoW for 5 years... wait I just made this post last night. I'll try to shorten it ;P

WoW can be pretty fun, but its largely dependent upon who you end up playing with once the novelty of the game fades away. If you end up with bad people, it will ruin your gaming experience, but if you end up with cool people you can have alot of fun with it.

As far as grind goes, it's not as bad as some other games, but its still grind business that can get really old really fast. There's enough opportunity to give yourself variety, but its all still a grindy sort of business.

Oh, and as for what "warcrack" does to people... it only really does that if you let it. If you have some other important thing in your life, then it probably won't happen to you though. It's just a matter of taking things in moderation, as with everything else (except forum posting!)

If you are into MMO's, i'd check it out. If not, don't.
This. I'm also a player of 5 years, and while I tend to get burned out from the grind every now and then (currently a bit tired of it, fyi), it's still a game that has kept me interested in various ways over the years, obviously. I do not raid, I don't PVP like I used to nor do I play as much as I used to, but I attribute that to my availability and the fact that PVPing and raiding has changed so much, I've not been able to stay interested.

That being said, there are many things you can do within the game depending on your interests, and Blizzard has made the game a LOT more casual-friendly than it ever was (for example: while I miss the way the PVP system used to be in MANY ways, I do NOT miss the pressure to "keep up" with it-you no longer have to maintain a certain amount of playing completely dedicated to PVP if you don't want to, whereas in the past, if you wanted the best gear and the highest ranking, you had to accrue and maintain a certain amount of "honor" each week or drop lower on the rank ladder).

The game has rather rich lore, so if plot/lore is anything of interest to you, you'll find the game rewarding in many ways. I would suggest taking a look at http://www.wowwiki.com/Main_Page and just poking around there looking up the factions and races/classes to see if it piques your interest.

The community...can be challenging, if you are looking for a social aspect. Some servers (and within them, the factions) have a very nice, friendly and helpful community (sometimes it's different-one faction being wonderful the other not, sometimes both sides are awesome), in other cases, the servers are filled with utter trash. You have the option of turning off the more global chats to avoid some of the mediocrity and just focus on talking to friends/guildmates (like MANY in my guild do), so you won't be totally bereft of an in-game social life should you choose to be social. You don't HAVE to talk to anyone, tho, especially since Blizz has made much of the game solo player-friendly and introduced random instance (dungeon) queuing, so that it's easier to find parties to run with.

As for "what it's done to people", I'd like to reiterate that I've played for 5 years, and the only thing it's done to me is enhance my relationship with my GF--she's a tank, I'm a healer, we play together. I've never had any problem just getting up and leaving (well...no, in Vanilla Wow's PVP system, I found that I could NOT stop PVPing until I had 150k honor a week, but we don't talk about that...). I guess if you have an addictive personality or a lack of willpower, it could get to be a problem, but if not *shrug* there's no reason to not take a shot with the trial version for a couple of weeks. I know people who play for fun, like myself, and I've had to fire people at work who called out or just didn't show up because they wanted to raid or, in one case, thought he'd not get caught at the midnight sale of Burning Crusade. Too bad for him, I have spies... >=D

(Sorry if this was a bit long, I just grow tired of folks bashing the game for no other reason than it's popular, so suggesting it to new players is kinda fun.)
A good read. I am interested though... how do you personally manage to keep yourself entertained? What do you actually do while playing?

My thing was always very heavily competitive, and this is probably what got me tired of the game. I could be the best at the AH, achievements. and general playing ability, but I could got find 9+ other people for a raid or PvP to play with that had that same level of determination. The result was that I was playing and kept feeling like a loser even if I basically was the best off of any of my friends: I never had to grind anymore and I only logged in when I wanted to, because all of my business was how I decided it would be. Eventually though, I guess I walked because I couldn't advance further because my guildmates could not, and that frustrated me into leaving.

Blarr... sorry for that derail. I just had to ask.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
I enjoyed most of my 0-60 leveling when the game came out. World PVP hadn't really been enhanced with honor points yet, and people were genuinely helpful to others since not many people knew how to do a lot of the quests.

Ah, to be in the barrens, and answering "Where is MANKIRKS WIFE" or "how do I get to Booty Bay".. good times.

60-70 was.. less fun. I took a two year vacation from wow to do school work. When I got back I had lost my guild (cofounder of FUN (with Grimfield)) which was a parody of the top raiding guild on our server (Run). And most of the "newbs" I had helped when starting out were all decked out in Tier 3/4 gear and doing Outland raids for even higher stuff.

I couldn't compete. I knew no one. Even my class had been nerfed (Warrior).. my weapon, Arcanite Reaper was but a child's toy.

Nothing stays still in WOW. You either keep raiding, keep PVPing, or you die. And stay dead.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
It is worthy of experiencing for at least the free trial, if only to see for yourself the game that has destroyed lives and enthralled untold millions to pay it's fees each month. In my experience, it is as solid of a game as virtually any other popular MMO, and if you've played any of the big-name MMORPGs since WoW launched, you'll likely be quite familiar with the particular trappings and systems that make the game work.

Audio

Apr 8, 2010
Yureina said:
True true :)
There are 100s of WoW gamers who say their guilds are like family. The people who never find a stable 'relationship' with a guild are the ones who open their eyes. They see how much time they are wasting.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
I have never played WoW, but im not gonna pay 15 bucks a month to play a game either.
I pay once and then im good for the life of the game.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Audio said:
Yureina said:
True true :)
There are 100s of WoW gamers who say their guilds are like family. The people who never find a stable 'relationship' with a guild are the ones who open their eyes. They see how much time they are wasting.
That's pretty much what happens.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I used to play WoW, but got bored of it after about 4 years. It is a really really good game. Even loads of people I know who hate RPGs love it.
The only issue is the monthly fee. It's the decision of whether paying £10 a month for a really good game is worth it.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Honestly, (and this is coming from a four year veteran) it's not worth getting into it at this point. If you had in either Vanilla or TBC days, sure. Right now it's a mess and so far Cataclysm isn't looking like it's going to be fixing many of the things that will make it worth the time/money investment of newer players.