Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
GamesB2 said:
PaulH said:
Not saying that women don't but they are still on average far more centred, rational, dedicated individuals who, if Humanity was clever enough to realise, should be running the planet if only because there'd be less people going batshit insane.

*The pic was a joke, please don't take offence*

Though I'm sure we all have our own experiences and could loudly declare that we feel the X/Y sex of the species is far more irrational and emotionally driven than the other, the reality is it's pretty much a fair split, there are logical men and women and there are illogical men and women.
In response, I bring before you Henry Higgins, who is in no way biased on the matter and can be trusted based solely on the fact that he wears a suit.

Xanian

Oct 19, 2009
Wow...woman bashing...I think there are a lot of single and bitter men here.

That aside. Probably a cultural/gender thing. You find men more approachable and their topics more typical to you, thus funnier.

Women come from a different perspective and are less approachable...come off as less funny.

I've seen lots of females I thought were funny who I didn't think were talking about woman issues. Then my boyfriend and male friends would point it out.

Then these same people would show me "hilarious" comedians who I found vulgar or boring. Then the boys would say I simply had no sense of humor.

I think 30 Rock is a funnier show than Two and a Half Men ::shrug:: but I guess a career woman is more understandable to me than a constantly drunk ladies man.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
CaptQuakers said:
letterbomber223 said:
CaptQuakers said:
At least they aren't as bad as American comics. They are terrible apart from Rich Hall and Reginald D Hunter who all live in the UK.....Funny that......

Also why the fuck do you Americans censor everything ? It Is so annoying they are just words ffs.
What about George Carlin? Or Bill Hicks?
Bill Hick's ? If I'm honest I think he Is the worst comic ever.... I do however hate the comics who act like Hicks. You know slow and in my honest opinion boring.

As for Carlin I've never heard of him. I shall research him now :D
Thread on comedians, hasn't heard of George Carlin, what....

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Richard Pryor basically made what stand up comedy is today, at least the good stuff. Carlin and Doug Stanhope would be my two favourite stand up comedians.

As for Bill Hicks I actually agree somewhat. I find his rants to generally be quite correct, but rarely do I find myself laughing. Any time I've watched him I've had trouble finding anything he says to be jokes.

To the OP: Yes you're not the first one at all to notice this trend, there are far fewer female comedians that people really like. Still there are a few that are funny, you just have to look through them. Sarah Silverman gets brought up a lot in these comparisons, and I find her quite funny sometimes. I like her delivery are persona while doing offensive or shocking jokes, I think it works well.

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Kathleen De Verde from ENN and LoadingReadyRun made a video about the subject a couple of years ago on the LRR site: http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/7/The-Rant-Comediennes
And as far as I have seen, its the same problems with female comedians today.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I have yet to see a funny female comedian. (one that's on a stage, there's enough funny women to be found on shows.)

Seriously, they're terrible at Mock The Week.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'm not going to say female comedians aren't funny, but i will say they aren't as funny as male comedians.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Rayne870 said:
you just haven't seen the right ones, there are a lot of terrible ones out there, just as there are terrible male comedians.

I love
She does a rap of Lucy in the sky with diamonds, that is just pricelss. Which isn't in here and I cant find :(
She... Is not funny :/

But it maaaaaaay have something to do with me disliking american standup.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Inchronica said:
Seriously, I've yet to see one funny female comedian. I don't mean to sound sexist but, It's like they try too hard to compete with they're male counter part. Again, Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist it's just the impression I get.
*facepalm*

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible mathematicians?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist it's just the impression I get."

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible engineers?

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible office managers?

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible writers?

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible lawyers?

"Is it just me ... or do women make terrible CEOs?

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I have seen a view but woman comedians aren't as successful because women find woman comedians less funny then male comedians and less funny then a male winds the female comedian

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
You just haven't found a female comedian who would be to your licking. I like Maria Bamford and few Finnish ones.

And asking "Do women make bad comedians" is matter of opinion. There is no universal opinion and yours will never become one either.

If you don't like Bananas, you don't need to say they are bad fruits... Other people like them.

Christopher Nicdao said:
I reluctantly agree with the OP. So many female comedians rely on the "DURR HURR I'M A WOMAN" act instead of doing actual comedy.
See my last sentence.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
If anyone can show me the female equivalent of Doug Stanhope, George Carlin or Bill Hicks then I'll agree that there are some funny female comedians out there, but it's still very rare.

I remember I once went to see Lucy Porter live, all she did was repeat her entire bit from The Comedy Club, I walked out halfway through and demanded a refund. The same did NOT happen when I went to see Dylan Moran or Bill Bailey.

I'm still open to being convinced otherwise.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Saelune said:
Hahahahaha...no.
If you think women cant be funny, then you just never watched any comedy by women.
Bingo.

Gilda Radner, Margaret Cho, Wanda Sykes, all women, all pretty damn funny. Especially now that Wanda's 'out' and speaks her mind more freely...

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
PaulH said:
GamesB2 said:

*The pic was a joke, please don't take offence*

Though I'm sure we all have our own experiences and could loudly declare that we feel the X/Y sex of the species is far more irrational and emotionally driven than the other, the reality is it's pretty much a fair split, there are logical men and women and there are illogical men and women.
Yes ... there are ... but I will say that all the times you're with women. Far more calming ... there's no angst, time seems to move without leaps and jumps. Sometimes I think wars start simply because there are men with guns in the same room and somebody loses it ...

And you don't get that when you're around women. Well you do, but very rarely.

And I don't think it's an even split ... and I'll give you an example ... the only time, I have ever been ambushed was in a pub ... was by a man who I was laughing with only 10 minutes beforehand.

How did that happen!? You want to know how it happened? It was because I was flirting with one young girl and it turned out she was his sister ... and supposedly he tried to tell me, but the environment was too loud in order to hear the conversation.

So ... He punched me ... now I don't know about you but it certainly seems to be a big jump.

From jovial drinker to psychotic moron, but you never get women doing that. Far more sophisticated and totally more effective way of dealing with problems that may arise from situations like that .... they run a person's name through the mud and stare icy daggers at you as if they'd spit on your soul if they could.

Far more effective.

Not only that but I suppose I couldpull up stats about how most serial killers are men, so on and so forth ... but there is a perfectly social example of what I'm alluding to.

By the mentioning of Pub I'm asuming you're a fellow Brit in which case I have to ask what cosy little hide away you've been able to hide in because there are plenty of violent women out there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356190/Female-offenders-Violence-common-time-crime-17s.html

Daily Mail, don't read too much for fear of turning into a 60 year old, house bound, racist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7550755.stm

BBC, from 2008 but still relevant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...g-culture-fuels-rise-in-attacks-by-women.html

Admitadly some of these article are old but nothing has changed, I trump your one social experience with cold, hard stats.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Most female comedians that I have seen I do not like, with the exception of Jo Brand.