Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
It's not just you, but you're all wrong.

There are plenty of female comedians that are funny, fewer than men perhaps but still plenty.

My favourite's Jo Brand.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
Rayne870 said:
you just haven't seen the right ones, there are a lot of terrible ones out there, just as there are terrible male comedians.

I love
She does a rap of Lucy in the sky with diamonds, that is just pricelss. Which isn't in here and I cant find :(
Good example of what the OP is talking about...

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
There's quite a few female British Comedians.

I find them entertaining, certainly no less than male counterparts.

Nor do they receive any less screen time, nor any form of different treatment.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
Margaret Cho is not funny.
I tried watching her once before. This time I got to the 3 minute mark before giving up. To give her some credit, I almost chuckled at 1:30

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Ramin 123 said:
Rayne870 said:
you just haven't seen the right ones, there are a lot of terrible ones out there, just as there are terrible male comedians.

I love Vanessa Hollingshead

She does a rap of Lucy in the sky with diamonds, that is just pricelss. Which isn't in here and I cant find :(
Actually not all of the content is woman specific. And what the OP is asking for is largely non existent comedians make jokes about their experiences. Chris Rock without black jokes?

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
There are bad male and female comedians. I was watching John Oliver's Stand-Up special on Comedy Central last night, and there were a few hilarious female comedians.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Jonluw said:
LiquidGrape said:
I tried watching her once before. This time I got to the 3 minute mark before giving up. To give her some credit, I almost chuckled at 1:30
Try the segment at 5:10 and forward.
Not saying it'll change your mind, but I think it's the best part.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'd have to agree. I've seen very few female comedians that were actually good and not just trying to force it. I wish there were more =/ It's weird because I'm pretty sure women laugh more than men, but it seems they can't create a laugh for the life of them.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
It's the american ones that aren't funny.
Generally speaking off course. I think it has to do with the stand up cliches; the british have a different style, which seems to suit females better. In the Netherlands there's a lot of funny women, our form of comedy is called cabaret. A mix between stand up, theater and songwriting.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Rayne870 said:

I love
Well, that's... Terrible.

There are obviously good female comedians but I didn't see anyone as good as some top male ones.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I've seen some funny ones. Ummm none at the top of my head I can think of though. Though the most I see are often tasteless or tell jokes only another women could get.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Rayne870 said:
Ramin 123 said:
Rayne870 said:

Actually not all of the content is woman specific. And what the OP is asking for is largely non existent comedians make jokes about their experiences. Chris Rock without black jokes?
lolwut? Chris Rock is funnier than any woman comedian even without black jokes. Heck, even without woman jokes.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
Jonluw said:
LiquidGrape said:
Try the segment at 5:10 and forward.
Not saying it'll change your mind, but I think it's the best part.
Nah, really not very funny. I sort of chuckled at "only gays screen calls" but that's pretty much it.
George Carlin and Jim Jeffries (and Michael McIntyre to some degree) had me keeled over with stomach cramps the first time I watched them, and I've yet to see any female comedians who can do that. Not that I have seen any other male comedians who can either.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
jonyboy13 said:
Rayne870 said:
Ramin 123 said:
Rayne870 said:

lolwut? Chris Rock is funnier than any woman comedian even without black jokes. Heck, even without woman jokes.
The hell with it, I'll just exit the convo here. I thought Vanessa was worth a laugh, and I do think Chris Rock is funny as fuck but I can see people are mostly here just to shoot down women.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
No. Committed feminists are terrible comedians. The women who get past the fact that men pee standing up are hilarious. Look at Sarah Silverman. Okay, she may occasionally say things that suggest that there's something wrong with her brain, but she is hilarious without bringing gender issues into her act.
And yes, she is extremely attractive. That may also be a factor.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm a woman and I have to agree if you watch Mock the Week or somthing the girls seem so forced and don't really wear thier humour as a personality trait but more like a job.

I'm pretty funny and make epic wisecracks but I am also really shy, It's probably a defense mec hanism lol. I would rather curl up and die than go on a stage xD

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Haydyn said:
I think it's because humor is subjective. When it comes to standup, women are talking about entirely different things, and in a different style. I can't name one female comedian I like. Their humor just doesn't appeal to me.

Yet women still find male comedians funny. Fuck, I don't know, maybe you need to have a penis to be funny. Have you seen them? They are dirty, obscene, smelly, and hairy. Wait, that also sounds like a vagina.
Dirty and smelly? Mine is clean and smells like spring morning. I think you and whoever else's naughty bits you've been seeing may just need a bath. I also wouldn't call them obscene They're just our god given pleasure zones. Nothing bad about that. As for hairy, well thats just part of growing up!

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I think they did a test and found out people are set to laugh more at men than women.
Or something. I don't really remember.

But yeah, I have noticed that women don't seem to be funny as often, but that's probably just because there's less of them.
That's not to say there aren't any good female comedians though. I prefer Sarah Millican to a lot of others, regardless of gender.