Is It Just Me?

Monkeysicle

May 25, 2008
Is it just me or do games today have smaller text then they did just a few years ago? I have a 360 and every game I seem to pick up for it has either text so tiny I can't read it on my non-huge non-hdtv or viewable text size on some sort of horrible background like white letters on a neon yellow background. Is this just me? Anyone else have problems like this one out of interest of discussion?

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Text is now formatted to be read from an HD source. For those without, tough luck.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
In the original demo for banjo and kazooie nb the text was near unreadable for even my HD Tv and on a even smaller tv it couldn't even be recognized as words. But they did fix it in time for release by setting the backround black.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Calobi said:
Text is now formatted to be read from an HD source. For those without, tough luck.
This. While playing Prototype, I found it incredibly hard to read any of the words because of the text color/size.

GeoPB

Jun 10, 2009
Fable 2's text was completly off my screen. That's a bit annoying, but if you can hear then it doesnt really matter... so yes, it is just you.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Echer123 said:
HD tvs solve this problem quite nicely.
But the problem is people shouldn't need to buy a brand new TV just to play newer games. That's why the newest systems still have Composite output.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I don't think it has gotten smaller, but I have noticed that developers tend to make text unreadable due to the background being too dark or too light.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Small text is getting more and more popular these days, it seems. It also has something to do with games being formatted to HD and all that.

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
I would have thunk that it was due to higher resolutions being common (if you lower the resolution, text gets bigger), but the HD idea seems popular.

Monkeysicle

May 25, 2008
Well it seems that my suspicions were right for once on the matter that game developers design for hdtvs. What a dick move I think. But as said if you can hear what people are saying it is not much of a problem and most games do nowadays which is good. I guess this be a real bad time to be a deaf gamer with a low income.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
elitecrewer said:
I would have thunk that it was due to higher resolutions being common (if you lower the resolution, text gets bigger), but the HD idea seems popular.
Well, HD TVs have a higher resolution than non-HD, so it's really the same thing.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
I would say you are alone in thinking this, as I do not usually have problems reading text in games, but then I remember Dead Space and its text logs...

I couldn't read any of them.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah it sucks having next gen and no HD tv or cables. At least I have a decent sized tv to hook it up to on the smaller ones it has a purple ring around the edge and loses about a half an inch or more from the characters view.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Monkeysicle said:
Well it seems that my suspicions were right for once on the matter that game developers design for hdtvs. What a dick move I think. But as said if you can hear what people are saying it is not much of a problem and most games do nowadays which is good. I guess this be a real bad time to be a deaf gamer with a low income.
thats like saying that its a dick move to be making games for next gen consoles. its not a dick move. they just assume if you can afford a ps3 and some games, you can afford to get a hd tv....buncha dicks, as if my gaming wasn't expensive enou...oh, i see what you were getting at.