Is it ok to kill spiders?

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
So just recently I had a spider the size of a tennis ball chilling next to my toilet roll.

And i smashed him with a shoe, then felt very guilty afterwards. He didnt mean me any harm, he had no concept that i will inevitably use the toilet role, and encroach on his territory. He was an innocent, caught in the crossfire.

Theyve got their role in the ecosystem, they eat flies, I get it that their helpful but dear christ just the sight of them fills me with bloodlust. Proof to me there is no intelligent designer, otherwise theyd just be circular smiley faces with legs.

I should probably add that i live in england where there arent any venomous spiders that might kill you.

Anyway, my question is, is it right to murder spiders just because we dont like the way they look?

edit: I dont know how to add a poll to an existing thread, could anyone help me there?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's only OK to kill an animal if it's threatening

I live in a basement unit of an apartment. I kill at least one insect creature (lately it's been worms; why the fuck are there worms in here!!!?) on a daily basis. If I don't, they get into my food and on me and it's just kind of icky.

So to answer your question, I have absolutely no problem squishing the little bastards.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Yeah, i loved that episode.
I think the spiders problem is that it always look threatening. You never see them rolled over like a cat resting, Theyre always ready to attack, in pretty much any direction

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
I'm the sort of guy who will catch a Red back in a jar and put it out side. So yeah, not recommending you do that, but try to play nice with them if they aren't a threat to you or your property.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Thomas Barnsley said:
I'm the sort of guy who will catch a Red back in a jar and put it out side. So yeah, not recommending you do that, but try to play nice with them if they aren't a threat to you or your property.
Sounds about right. Im paranoid if i put them outside that they will just return with their friends for revenge, but thats just me being an idiot.

To be fair about this particular spider, it was right on top of the toilet paper as i took a dump, eyeing me menacingly with its strange jabby madables clicking together, as if to say, "its only a matter of time"

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Is it human? No? Then I'll kill it because it suits me. My ancestors didn't spend 20,000 years struggling their way up to the top of the food chain for me to pussy out about killing something that could threaten me.

That being said, the one thing that saves bugs from my wrath is not any sense of me being moral but because killing them tends to create a disgusting mess. I'd rather just remove them from my property than need to deal with disposing of the body and waste.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Abomination said:
Is it human? No? Then I'll kill it because it suits me. My ancestors didn't spend 20,000 years struggling their way up to the top of the food chain for me to pussy out about killing something that could threaten me.

That being said, the one thing that saves bugs from my wrath is not any sense of me being moral but because killing them tends to create a disgusting mess. I'd rather just remove them from my property than need to deal with disposing of the body and waste.
That's where my blood-lust comes from, like, my ancestors hunted fucking mammoth to extinction, this spider should be nothing more than a stain on my carpet

Contradicting that, my Buddhist philosophy kicks in, saying everything has an equal right to life, as long as that spiders doing its right spidery thing, and not organising mass genocide against jewish or gyspy or gay spiders then let it do its spidery thing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010

Of course it's not okay to kill them, you unfeeling brutes! Spiderbros have your back! They're just trying to help you!

Seriously though, fuck spiders.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
If only spiders were cute . Buuuuuut they aren't so.. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

OT: i like how people are afraid of small , almost harmless insects but Giant animal that can kill us we want to pet and play with .

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Spiders? Seriously? I draw the line at 4 legs, any more than that and it's open season for all I care. And don't worry about the ecosystem. You could spend every minute of every day of your life hunting spiders and never even make a dent in your local population. Arthropods aren't the animals we should be worried about.
Feedmeketamine said:
So just recently I had a spider the size of a tennis ball chilling next to my toilet roll.
Holy crap, that's one big spider. Even if you're just talking about the span of it's legs. After seeing that I don't think I'd need the toilet anymore.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The way I see it is, if the positions were reversed, would that spider squash me? I'd say "too fucking right it would" and splat it.

I bet if it wasn't for humans breeding the aggression out of animals, all animals would want to kill any human they saw.

Humans are the only creatures to have guilt, cats don't go all mournful as they drop a dead bird in the kitchen, the fox doesn't regret killing a rabbit, the snake doesn't feel sorry the mouse, the frog enjoys the flies etc

Anyway, survival of the fittest and all that...

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
OlasDAlmighty said:
Spiders? Seriously? I draw the line at 4 legs, any more than that and it's open season for all I care. And don't worry about the ecosystem. You could spend every minute of every day of your life hunting spiders and never even make a dent in your local population. Arthropods aren't the animals we should be worried about.
Feedmeketamine said:
Holy crap, that's one big spider. Even if you're just talking about the span of it's legs. After seeing that I don't think I'd need the toilet anymore.
Ok I admit i was exaggerating, that the spider was the size of a tennis ball was untrue. However, the way I felt sitting on the can trying to find my way out of this particular predicament, this spider may as well have been the size of fucking jupiter.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
SMUSH THEM! KILL ALL THE SPIDERS! KILL THEIR WIVES AND CHILDREN.

Actually I usually put them outside. No I SCREAM for my boyfriend or someone to come get rid of it.
I know they have their uses but the freak me the fuck out. I won't sleep if there's a spider in the room and I've been known to wake up screaming because I think it's on me *shudders*

Oh, there was a spider in my living room a few weeks ago, I threw my FOUR cats at it and none of them gave a fuck so mum had to get the duster and we were screaming and running around like headless chickens because it was crawling towards us which was funny to see two grown women do.

A little thing like that can make a woman scream louder than a man ever has, u mad?

Aug 31, 2012
Not going to say it' wrong, but I wouldn't do it. I have 2 spiders that live in my shower. The steam doesn't seem to bother them. I call them Ronnie and Reggie.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Only if they are above a certain size. Small spiders don't bother me, I usually put them back out on a bit of paper and all is peace and gentleness. If they are big enough to frighten me, so I don't really want to handle them, well... I fetch the newspaper. Sorry, dear. You've probably gone that fat and burly by eating your mates, consider me the Monsieur de Paris for spiders. That is what I tell myself, at least.

I like spiders, and we can indeed co-exist, them and I, but not where I can see them.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
krazykidd said:
If only spiders were cute . Buuuuuut they aren't so.. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

OT: i like how people are afraid of small , almost harmless insects but Giant animal that can kill us we want to pet and play with .
It's probably because it's much easier to understand the psychology of a tiger than it is to understand a spider.

Plus look at how fucking cute they are!

Tell me you don't want to cuddle that.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
omega 616 said:
The way I see it is, if the positions were reversed, would that spider squash me? I'd say "too fucking right it would" and splat it.

I bet if it wasn't for humans breeding the aggression out of animals, all animals would want to kill any human they saw.

Humans are the only creatures to have guilt, cats don't go all mournful as they drop a dead bird in the kitchen, the fox doesn't regret killing a rabbit, the snake doesn't feel sorry the mouse, the frog enjoys the flies etc

Anyway, survival of the fittest and all that...
Yeah, he would.

I kill spiders. They'd be nice to have to keep an potential flies and whatnot out but spiders are just too damn creepy to be kept inside. They can stay outside all they want, or they can come inside and die.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I don't mind spiders, in fact back when I was a kid I had two baby (wild) spiders that made their webs on my window sill, and I let them live there for a good few months with tho two growing larger as time went on (from all the flies they ate I assume). Weirdly enough they made their webs either side of the window sill and never fought over territory, it was like they were family or at least mutual acquaintances or something, and we had an understanding too; they stayed on the window sill and off my bed and I didn't kill them. Rather sadly though I came home from school one day and they were gone and I never saw them ever again, I was pretty upset too, to be honest; but hey I was one of those boys that loved all sorts of animals/inspects, well except wasps, they need to be burnt with fire....