Is it okay to pirate stuff you already own?

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Got a game on release, the game was scratched beyond use before opening it, returned and then obtain a lees than legal copy, so the only thing that aws scratched on that copy was my morals.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Orekoya said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Orekoya said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Right, meaning legal?

No.
17 U.S.C. § 117 Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs
(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. ? Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

Right, meaning legal?

Yes.
You misunderstand that law, my friend.
It is oddly worded but it completely covers the right of acquiring "adaptation of that computer program" if it is an "essential step in the utilization of the computer program" that can be "used in no other manner".

If you own a copy of data and the original source of data is damaged beyond use, it's legal to have another copy of that exact data even if you did not make the back up yourself, provided of course it didn't have in-placed some form of time limit that "continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful" such as the pay-to-play variety.

I also noticed that you have skirted posting anything with substance. If you are going to tell someone they are wrong, you do need to elaborate on why; otherwise it can be seen as childish.
I was simply informing you that you do not understand that law. If you don't want to believe me, so be it. I really don't mind.
And I was simply informing you that you are, in fact, wrong. If you don't want to believe me, so be it. I really don't mind.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Yeah I think it's okay if that's the case, I myself pirate comic book series and then eventually buy the comic book series

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
It isn't pirating if you already own it (assuming you're downloading it for the same system you bought it for). Read the EULA next time you get a game, creating a copy of a game you already own for your own use is perfectly legal. If your using a torrent, just make sure to adjust the settings so that you aren't uploading while your downloading...that's pretty illegal.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Yeah, for some strange reason this is illegal. It's completely ethical though, and it should be legal. It's perfectly legal to make copies for backup or whatever, as long as you don't distribute it, so why should it be illegal to get the same copy from another source? You can't steal something that you already own, it just doesn't make sense.

HappyHacker

Dec 20, 2007
Yar

to the point pirateing will happen there is litteraly noway around it beceause nomater how much encryption or what kind of drm or hidden blocks you put in something it can and will be broken im throwing a number out here true or not many pirates 69% usualy ether own the game or are pirateing the game to see if they want to buy it because alot of time the demo if there is one at all is inadiquat{i think i spelled that wrong}.
there will always be that 31% that just dont want to pay or cant.

insaneHoshi

Mar 26, 2010
Sober Thal said:
insaneHoshi said:
Sober Thal said:
No. It isn't okay to pirate.

That is all.
Im amazed at the depth of your argument, how isnt it ok, morally or legaly? And how can you pirate something you allready own?
If you are amazed at my last post, I fear what any further replies may warrant.

Have a nice day, and don't break any laws.
Except piracy isnt illegal where i live (its not somalia btw)

Creamygoodness

Aug 9, 2010
I think after having purchased 2 copies of Metallica's black album on cassette (after the first one broke) and then 2 copies on cd (because my first copy was stolen) I feel I have the right to download a copy of it. I have been around long enough to have purchased music on records,8tracks,cassette,cd and now mp3. I hold no sympathy the Record Industry. As for games I do like Steam, Because the most important thing to me is being able to play the games I buy... Forever. I buy a game and lose the key I feel I am well within my rights to use a hax keg generator to play it.

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Right, meaning legal?

No.
legally, you can pirate a file you already own because what you have paid for is the licence to use the software in question. from what source you get the software doesn't matter.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Ethically I see nothing wrong with it. I mean you paid for it once, and they aren't being hurt by you getting it back. However pirating your friends games is pushing it because I'm not even sure that itself is legal and the game license is issued to you and only you right? (I'm assuming these are PC games, because you can't really pirate console games by yourself, can you?)

Oh and can all the people who say 'No', 'Yes', or 'It's against the law' and then refuse to elaborate not post. Why you ask? Because!

HappyHacker said:
Better edit that before a mod slaps you with a probation.

birdplaneman

Nov 23, 2010
I have done my best to pay for things legally. But with all the technical issues I've faced with videogames, I've actually found that downloading them is the only thing that seems to work. San Andreas didn't work on my PC at all when I bought the legal version, despite the fact that my PC surpasses ALL system requirements listed on the box. But when I downloaded it, it worked fine.

As far as movies and tv shows go, since I don't have time to watch them when they air and don't have DVR, I try to watch those on Hulu, Netflix, the network's websites, or any other legitimate online sources. This not only helps get money to the right people, but it also increases the ratings of shows I like so that it's more likely that it will continue (too many shows I've loved have been cancelled after only a season or two).

However, the most interesting question, I think, is this: If I "pirate" books, music, movies and/or television, how is that less legal than going to a public library?

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think its even illegal. I might be wrong, but I know I saw some download site where they tried to avoid the law by putting a "you can only download if you already own the music" disclaimer at the bottom.

Ethylene Glycol

Sep 21, 2010
Honestly, people paying once for something they can get for free in this day and age is pretty damn good. Companies should count their blessings and be grateful.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I'd say it's definitely morally okay. The condition of the disc you bought doesn't change the fact that you paid the makers for the product. It's like if a digital distributor (let's say Steam) went under, you'd still (morally) own the games you bought on it.

When it comes to stuff for other platforms it's a bit more iffy, I'm not sure it's quite right to download a game you already own on an other console. It's technically a different game then, isn't it?

(Also, I'm not advocating piracy)