Is It Possible? "A Phantom Edit" Makes Star Wars Prequels Surprisingly Good

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Is It Possible? "A Phantom Edit" Makes Star Wars Prequels Surprisingly Good

This fan edit of the Star Wars prequels somehow manages to make the trilogy palatable.

Read Full Article

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I like fan edits of movies *cough* The Hobbit *cough*. The guy who made this, rather than be offered a job, will most likely be sued.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Great article, I'll have to watch it before it inevitably gets taken down by Lucasfilm/Disney/whatever.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I like the disclaimer. "All trademarked and copyrighted liscences are property of their repsective owners".

EDIT: Ugh, even the text crawl is riddled with errors.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Don't worry folks, there's still Jar-jar in there!

The problem with fan edits of the prequels are that some poor acting/writing are pivotal to the plot and have to stay in. Also, cutting to this level means some coherence between cuts is lost.

EDIT: pacing is a major problem with renegade cuts as well

My suggestion for the prequels: only watch the action scenes

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Cutting Ray Park, Christopher Lee, and the less hateable child Anakin isn't going to do it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Call it a kneejerk reaction, but just going by the summary, it sounds absolutely horrible. :/

I can understand a lot of the disdain toward the prequels, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but here it sounds like they completely butchered the movies.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
People should just accept that the prequels won't change to their liking nor will they go away

It's been 16 years of nonstop butthurt, time to let go

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Improving the prequels, step 1, cut out Phantom Menace. Yep, sounds about right...

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
Jandau said:
Improving the prequels, step 1, cut out Phantom Menace. Yep, sounds about right...
Step 2: Cut out Attack of the Clones.
I thought step 2 was removing Hayden Christensen. I'd honestly love an inverse of this edit where it focuses on the politics and war and cut the love story.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
piscian said:
So all this really did was make me realize even the final fight scene in phantom menace was pretty dumb. It was way too much of an obnoxious dance fight. I skipped through the rest because the dialog, I'm not sure if the actors are really that at fault when it's 90% green screens and bad writing, but I noticed even the final fight in the trilogy while better was still way over choreographed. I actually tend to think the latter half of attack of the clones is the only watchable piece of the entire trilogy.
Here's hoping that the new trilogy takes more inspiration from the original trilogy when it comes to lightsaber battles. Luke vs Vader is the gold standard here, either movie.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I'll have to get these asap, don't really remember the prequels and the original trilogy was over before I was born so I don't think I've ever seen the whole 3 movies, just bit and pieces. But I like J.J. Abrams movies so I want to watch all 6 episodes before the 7th one comes out and fan edits are always a better option since they tend to be faster and only focus on what's important

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Not really sure why Phantom Menace wasn't cut entirely. The fight scene on it's own does nothing other than give Maul a cameo and let you know that Qui-Gon wanted Obi-wan to train 'the boy'. All of that is completely irrelevant to the rest of the series and would have been just as well off opening the movie with Kenobi and Anakin. Better really, as the fight is so brief and without much context that it just seems odd.

Overall, still rather limited by it's source material, and splicing scenes can certainly make pacing a bit odd and jumpy at times. Only really recommendable as a curiosity or if you're trying to introduce somebody new to Star Wars and don't want tarnish the experience too much with the full prequels.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
GZGoten said:
I'll have to get these asap, don't really remember the prequels and the original trilogy was over before I was born so I don't think I've ever seen the whole 3 movies, just bit and pieces. But I like J.J. Abrams movies so I want to watch all 6 episodes before the 7th one comes out and fan edits are always a better option since they tend to be faster and only focus on what's important
If you do, watch the original trilogy first, as the prequels work on the assumption that you have. Well, insofar as they work at all. You might like them better than those of us that grew up with the original trilogy.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MrPeanut said:
People should just accept that the prequels won't change to their liking nor will they go away

It's been 16 years of nonstop butthurt, time to let go
This is the internet.

They're never going to let go of it.

Ever.

OT: Considering how I actually enjoy the prequels, I don't see much point in watching this except to maybe laugh at it. I can't wait until the next trilogy starts coming out and we can go through this cycle allllll over again.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Also a bit disappointing that the discovery of the clone army was cut. Plot-wise it doesn't really work, as it plays out like they decided to get a clone army and just somehow has one a day later from nowhere.

More importantly, the single good story told in the prequels is that of Palpatine's orchestration of the war to secure his power. You still know he's the bad guy by the end in this, but it shouldn't have buried the things linking to his long term scheming, like the origin of the clones and why exactly there was an army already in the work.