Is it worth getting into WoW?

Slash12

Apr 26, 2008
I don't understand where all the negativity comes from for this game, apparently the common belief is that the game is satan and it WILL get your soul. Honestly, if you want to play just go into it with the mindset that everyone that says it eats your soul and ruins your life is full of shit, because they are. Doesn't take a whole lot of willpower to decide to do something besides it.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
No.

There are dozens of better games you don't have to pay each month to play for.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Honestly you are asking us if you should start smoking crack.
Sure it's fun at first, but once it get's you shit will start to go downhill.
I say everything is worth a try, but beware of the consequences.

This is not a game you can finish, there may be 40+ hours worth of actual entertainment in it, but they will keep you trapped for thousands of grinding hours and milk money from your wallet while you stay.
So you better be damn sure you can shake the addiction before you pick this up.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
With so many new MMO that aim to change the monotony of "WOW-cloning" within the MMO landscape by approaching it differently, it's not worth it. WOW was the best of its kind of MMO, but that type of MMO is not the best in itself.

With games like Star Wars: The Old Republic, DC Universe Online, End of Nations (RTSMMO), and especially Guild Wars 2 (looks like the best out of them all in terms of changing everything that's bad about MMO and iproving upon what's good. plus, NO SUBSCRIPTIONS) your money is better spent elsewhere.
Champions Online is going Free-to play next year as well, so that's another contender i guess (if you're worried about money).

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
It makes for an excellent and respectively cheap time filler. There's generally always *something* to do, though it's not always an interesting or fun something. $15 a month is pretty much the cheapest you're going to get entertainment.

A lot of people seem to enjoy the PVP, I couldn't get into it though. Basically you play a quick game to see who can take away control of the other character(s) longer in the arena, or play on one of a number of static maps with a specific objective. Unfortunately, last i left, battlegrounds(the latter part, and the part i enjoyed in small doses) offered totally worthless rewards and you were forced to play the arena, where you will lose unless you and your partner(s) have 56 forms of crowd control.

PvE is a little less annoying, however you will run out of relevant non-raid content after a month or two of being level capped. At that point you can totally give up and do battlegrounds for crap pvp gear so you can do arenas for less crap pvp gear, or roll an alt character and start the whole process again, OR join a guild that runs 25 man and/or 40 man instances for raids, be there at x time on x nights per week, and basically do PVE battleground with ginormous targets and dancing through various raid encounters. The raids can be fun, the first 15 or so times you kill something, however you will kill any given raid boss way more than 15 times gearing everyone up. Maybe add a zero to that number.

All in all, it was a very inexpensive way to spend three years of my life, however i dunno if i'm too keen on picking it up again, given that the formula doesn't seem like it will ever change.

Hanzo Hattori

Aug 4, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
If you are independently wealthy and will never have to work a day in your life, don't care about family, friends, or any relationship that isn't in Azeroth, and don't mind your hygiene and fitness slacking, sure, why not. If you enjoy your life, or can actually keep yourself sane while playing it, by all means, go ahead. But I'd advise you to stay away.
I'm playing WoW myself for a good 2 years now. Well I'm not that of a hardcore gamer, if you want to call it like that, I play about 2 hours a day. I've got a really nice girlfriend, got a nice working place and have friends that I see like every day (They're not playing WoW, I'm the only one). Also I can claim that I'm really fit, since I'm doing a lot of sports (soccer, strength exercising, muay thai).
I'm quite sure that I'm not addicted to WoW, and I don't have even 1 or 2 hours less "real life" than others. I just play when I've got time, but I DO raid in a guild with Teamspeak and all that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing this game, but I could never imagine to get addicted to it. After 2 hours straight playing it gets damn boring...

Just to point out that it's not the game's fault per se.

EDIT: No, my girlfriend is not a gamer, nor all too good with computers (standard, no?). I'm together with her for 1 year now and I highly doubt she does even know I'm still playing. lol

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'd definitively give it a try. There is a reason it's the most popular MMO.

The fact that most (if not all) of the people bashing it are only doing so because it's considered "cool" (and for things dozens of other games do) should tip you off.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Wow's a game that's a lot more fun when you're playing it with other people. Going on quests and dungeon runs with real friends is a magical experience in world of warcraft. And I guarantee you'll talk about it with anybody else that plays it.

You'll talk about it a lot.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
People are exaggerating here.

I playthrough nearly every major game release, have a full-time job (with frequent overtime), paint a Warhammer army, go to weekly MTG tournaments, have a social life, and still have time for WoW (sure, I don't play obsessively, like the guys who think it's SRS BIZNIZ, but so what?)

If you have a job, the subscription isn't a big deal, as long as you cut it when you get sick of it (because that's when you star buying other things, to fill in your time previously spent on WoW)

Trako

Jul 23, 2008
Short answer: No.

TL;DR:

Although it claims to have a very large subscriber base, it's more a revolving door than anything else. It's boring, repetitive, not very challenging, and you need to get stuff in order to get more stuff and even more stuff to get to the more powerful stuff. It seems the PvE world is just there so you can level up to do the high level Raids, and to raid you must be in a guild, and to be in a raid guild you must know how to raid. Catch-22 doesn't even begin to describe the absurdity of this mostly player-evolved system. The time and effort required to successfully raid is tantamount to being part of an 8 month project for an employer. Pay 15 bucks a month to do work, in short. If this all sounds like fun for you, by all means go for it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I didn't find it addicting, hence me playing for two weeks and then never again. I just didn't find the gameplay satisfying, and your actions lose any sense of importance and immersion once that major enemy you just killed respawns before your eyes so someone else can do the quest you just finished. People said I wasn't playing the right way because I only wanted to do quests by myself and didn't interact with other players, but player-to-player interaction is something I couldn't care less about in games. So if anything I said would be an issue to you, then give it a pass. Maybe you should try Vindictus or Guild Wars.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I find when I am playing WoW I buy less games for my consoles so I end up saving a lot of money. Say I used to buy at least one new game a month for my console, that would be around £40. However when I play WoW I buy a new game once every few months. So instead of £80 in 2 months it is £60 etc.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I tried it, it's fun at first. But once you hit cap it's ridiculously boring, doing the same crap every day. So I left it.

Save your money for ToR, WoW won't be around much longer.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I see a lot of well thought and constructive posts here.

If you like MMORPGs, World of Warcraft is arguably the definite game for you. It's fun, social and with Cataclysm now launched, it provides a well crafted and new experience.

It's true that WoW can be time consuming, but that's only the case if you let it. You can easily log on, play for 30 minutes and then go do something else. People are too bogged down in preconceptions nowadays to realize this. I play WoW, and I'm two exams away from completing a semester in philosophy, having finished five exams thus far. In addition, I have friends I meet regularly, and I'm playing soccer organized twice a week. You can have free time while playing WoW.

All you who dismiss it over petty stereotypes and generalizations can go elsewhere. If you don't think the OP should start, give reasons for it, rather than coming with the negative and unexplained feedback.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
WoW is highly addictive. And even more so recently with Cataclysm I hear. I got bored of WoW years back but thuroughly enjoyed it before then.

Dont recommend it if you need time and such for social life or work. IT sucks up alot of time

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Do not listen to all these idiots that are just telling you it will lead you to being an unsociable shut in. As long as you time manage you can play WoW and have a social life. I go to college have a girlfriend, and a job. I also have a rogue and priest both at 6100 gearscore (not that it matters anymore). Just time manage and dont let people put you down just because you play a game.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
The thing I dislike most about playing WoW is that when I do, I only play WoW and rarely or never play other games. I don't like looking back over a two month period and seeing my playtime was: 97% WoW, 2% Super Meat Boy and 1% MineCraft. Lack of some variety in my gaming life irks me. I enjoy sticking to just one or two games at a time but WoW takes it too far to me. It consumes me too much.

I haven't bought Cata. Hopefully I'll be able to resist, or figure out a way to balance my life and gaming life more effectively while also playing WoW. Seems like a difficult task for me. I should probably just avoid WoW.

My opinion is don't get into WoW, especially since you said you're well known for becoming addicted to things.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Hah, I love these kinds of threads, because the haters always come out in full force.

I play WoW, and enjoy it. I graduated from University with a B.S. in neurobiology, 3.6GPA, participated in extracurricular activities, had a social life (and girlfriend I am still with), and played WoW the entire time. If you have even a shred of self-control and time management skills these, 'second job,' or 'addiction' references are just plain not true..

Do some people go too far with gaming? Of course, and that's not exclusive to WoW/MMOs. I knew a guy down the hall at school who played CS:Source for what seemed like 26hours a day(i know there are 24h/day). Do I recommend the game to people I know? Definitely. If you have a group of people you can play WoW with there's nothing more fun, in my opinion - I personally find myself, while playing single player games, missing the shared experiences that MMOs offer. It also saves me a ton of money, as I just have to pay $15 a month instead $60/game every month or so.

In any case, pick up the free-trial, give it a whirl, and see if it's your type of game. Now's the time to start as with the most recent expansion they completely revamped the 6 year old 1-60 level content (it's great now...not to mention you can get the first 3 installments for like $20 + $40 for Cataclysm...that's 1 xbox game). If you have any friends interested in playing definitely start together; it makes the game all the more fun.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
King Toasty said:
Here's the skinny:

Let's pretend I have money. I'm going to spend roughly $1000 or more on a good computer. Should I be getting WoW? Or is the price of subscription not worth it? Discuss.

No poll because I want to see your answers.
first off: subscription price of an MMO is typically very worthwhile. in fact, from my own experience, i spend MUCH more on entertainment when i'm not playing an MMO than when i am. so for me, $15/month is damn cheap.

however, WoW (like most MMOs) is not worth it in the long run, unless you have quality people to play with. if you are a loner, don't bother. and even if you're good at finding friends, you may find it frustrating to try to find worthwhile friends in that cesspool.

shadowcaptain

Sep 3, 2008
Frankly i didnt find anything addictive about the game at all. A few months ago i bought it, had my weeks trial and enjoyed playing with a few mates over the net (with headsets so we could have a giggle and chat). Bought my first months trial, played it a few hours a night like i do with most games

2 weeks of WOW later?.... and well lets just say ive not even been on since then. I enojoyed it but frankly a few weeks of any game and im bored bored bored.

Obivouly different strokes for different folks but personally it doesnt vibe well with me. I saw alot of what the game offered and the lack of decent story telling (bar odd bit of badly written text), blang gameplay (click), sub par graphics etc.

so yeah, give it a try on a trail?, if you like it, play it, if not, dont

SIDE NOTE: you just spent lots of money on a computer, wow is barely a test, you shoudl be getting a more modern decent game to try out and see how good it is!(whatever genre you like of course)