is it wrong for guys to shed tears?

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
There's nothing wrong with having emotion, It's one of the two things that separates animals and people from plants.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
SammiYin said:
I'm too manly to care if some broad sees me crying.
This. This oh this.
My life rarely gives me reason to cry, I manage to keep things neutral at the least.
But man if I need to bawl for something, screw you populace! This is self therapy! Just be happy I'm not taking a gun to the supermarket or something.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Not in the slightest. The men who think there's something wrong with crying are usually much more emotionally insecure than the ones who don't. I cried last night (more like this morning, really) watching 127 Hours. It's such a damn powerful film.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
It's absolutely fine, I am a fairly emotional guy and I don't care, if something strikes me emotionally then it can bring out tears. Feels really good to get out your emotions, whether they are tears of joy or ones of sorrow it all helps.

Shows you're human, anyone saying they don't cry is missing out or lying through their teeth.

Off topic mildly, but this shit just made me tear up as I was replying to this thread, amazing to see someone in the mainstream who can really show some emotion, fucking beautiful shit right here.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I'd say it's a damn shame, this idea that men shouldn't cry, as I feel kinda weird about going to see certain movies at the cinema, to the point where I'd rather wait to see them on dvd, rather than cry my way thru an emotional movie surrounded by strangers, and most likely groups of guys who will openly mock me. (Despite probably them reacting the same way if they didn't have the group bravado going on.)

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
As long as a guy isn't crying at every little thing, then I see no problem with it. And even then, it's probably a condition. It's very rare to see me cry, but I do so without reservation.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
As long as you cry over every little thing it's fine though I personally haven't cried in years regardless of death.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Yes.

The only exception is if one of your parents dies, then a single tear at the funeral. But otherwise, hell no. It's weakness.

Women and men don't respect men who cry. A woman will still love and respect HER man if he cries, because it's showing an emotional depth and closeness to her. But seeing some guy you're not dating, some stranger or even someone you might be interested in sobbing and puffy-eyed and all that? It triggers that internal reaction of "Weak, not worthy genetic material, not aggressive enough".

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Yes. I cried when my first two cats died, and I almost cried during the part in Elfen Lied with the puppy being beaten to death, and I felt like shit at the end of School Days.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Crying like a baby is bad, but a man who is honest with himself will show how he feels when the time is right. A lack of tears is not strength.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
No it's not wrong. I'm not very good at crying though .. I well up but those tears just don't want to flow when I'm down.

xxx

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
CRYING: Never. Ever. Over anything. Not death in the family, not a bullet in the chest. You may tear up ever so slightly in one eye only when watching a favorite sports legend retire. You may tear up in both eyes only when kicked, accidentally or on purpose, in the COJONES.

-Dennis Leary "Are You Man Enough?"
I would also add on end of "Old Yeller", or at the last explosion of "The Rock". I'm a little more loose about crying the Mr. Leary. If this makes me less of a man well SEE SPORTS.

All kidding aside I have been known to cry now and then.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
I get teary eyed at the end of a movie if a main character just leaves without saying anything. Just seems disrespectful to all the other characters he has interacted with. A good example is Good Will Hunting.