Is it wrong to hate small children?

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
And I mean actually intensely so? Not to the point where you want to hurt them or anything, but to the point where just being near them is uncomfortable?

Because it seems like if you even think about not liking children and thinking they're super and awesome, you're some kind of defective monster. Like I'm suppose to appreciate their insipidness and the smell, and the getting into everything. And the noise, oh sweet mercy the noise. The noise. The never-ending cacophony of noises that split the sanity of anyone nearby.

But we're supposed to play nice. Not complain or expect people with children to be considerate of others. That the rest of us are just supposed to deal with noises that make us seriously consider that a Hellgate has opened and demons are crawling out. The worst part is now I've gotten to the point in my life where social events and gathering are going to based around and revolve around babies and small children, since nearly everyone is getting married and/or having kids now so you've got to fake enthusiasm for them.
I have six kids and I am going to let you in a secret most parents don't like to talk about. Nobody actually likes the way babies smell all the time. babies stink sometimes..... Babies stink a lot of the time. Nobody actually like that babies get into everything and damn god in heaven can they be loud. i tell my kids they are not allowed to yell unless they are being attacked by a bear. That only works half the time. But above all that they are funny and cute and interesting once they stop trying their hardest to kill themselves. Nobody actually enjoys babies all the time. Babies are rough and hard to deal with. But the bad comes with the good and it evens out for the most part.

That being said babies are not for everyone and if you do want them do everyone a favor and don't have them because it is hard enough to properly raise a baby you want and love. It is impossible to properly raise one you don't want or care about.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I think that if a kid is annoying you in a public place you really need to deal with it. Kids make noise, when they are happy, sad, bored, whatever. Even the best parent wont be able to stop their kids from making scenes now and then.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
flashoverride said:
Sarge034 said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Well I don't really care about your problem. Not least because apparently not catering to you is automatically catering to the others. If that's how you start it's obvious you're going to be too touchy to suggest letting people be as a solution.
You don't care that the child screaming in a public place is literally causing me unbearable pain and possibly further hearing loss? But you do care about children being able to cause a public disturbance without drawing ire? That's rather telling of your character.
Yeah bro, it's public. Meaning they have every right to be there you do. If you weren't so self-absorbed, you could probably go and ask their parents politely and they might make some attempt to accommodate you.

Also, I have tinnitus and hearing loss from sustained weapons fire and explosives. You seriously going to tell me that you're around a lot of kids who are routinely penetrating the 120 decibel impulse noise level?
Exactly, it's public which means if a kid is being a brat and ruining the public space for someone or everyone else that person or people have the full right to go up to the parent and tell them to make their kid behave. Just recently while I was out shopping a kid was throwing a tantrum in the middle of an aisle over something stupid and the parents were just standing their and letting it happen. I was about to go up up to them when a member of security walked past me and told them to either calm their kid down or risk getting banned because it was distracting the other customers.

The parents started to throw a fit but the security guard ended it by radioing for help and they dragged the mom, dad, and kid out of the store and banned them for life. Me and a few other customers clapped and then went about our own ways. Granted a store is private property but still. I'm not saying they need to be rude about it but if a parent starts to get hostile because they are lazy and don't want to be a parent that is when it's ok to call them a shitty parent to their face.

This video pretty accurately shows how the kid was behaving when in the store. The video is a banned commercial for condoms.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Would it be wrong to hate anyone else? What would make hating children wrong but not another demographic?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I hate the noises they make but i hate loud noisy non music shit in general so it is not a childcentric hate.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
But we're supposed to play nice. Not complain or expect people with children to be considerate of others. That the rest of us are just supposed to deal with noises that make us seriously consider that a Hellgate has opened and demons are crawling out. The worst part is now I've gotten to the point in my life where social events and gathering are going to based around and revolve around babies and small children, since nearly everyone is getting married and/or having kids now so you've got to fake enthusiasm for them.
Wait, where do you live?

'cause here whilst the mothers themselves might be really defensive of their laziness in controlling their kid, a parent with a kid who is screaming and yelling and just being annoying to everyone in the area and who doesn't give two shits to try and stop it is pretty universally hated. If they do their best its understandable, but if the kid is just allowed to run wild its counted as unacceptable. Its dangerous to the kid, and disrespectful to everyone else. But if the kid runs into you whilst you're standing still and falls over, you're the worst person in the world to that parent. Riiiiiight. I'm a bad person, 'cause your little shit is something you can't be bothered teaching basic safety, or even trying to control.

Yeah, I dislike little kids. I dislike any kid up until the age of about 20 to be honest. They're all shits in some way or another. I remember getting takeaway a couple of days back. A bunch of teenagers were there too. 2 of them were ordering. 20 of them had formed a blockade around the counters so that nobody else could get near them to collect or make an order. Little shits, with no respect for others. That said, there are some grown ass shits as well, but at least they don't smell of toilets/dirt/sweat/excessive amounts of deodorant whilst being a shit.

But hey, not much you can do. People will be people, and in public you've got to put up with them. Honestly, I dislike most people in general. They're something you've got to put up with though. Be thankful its only the little ones that make you uncomfortable.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Some of them make it so hard not to hate them.

Like the ones that you want to place in a head lock and force feed a handful of ritalin.

STFU, AND SIT THE F DOWN!

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I don't hate children. I don't like them, can't sympathise with them, have no patience with them and generally being near one irritates me to a point that is almost irrational. But I don't hate them.

On the other hand I do hate parents who unthinkingly inflict their spawn on everyone else, unapologetically pushing them in everyone else's face as if having sex and waiting 9 months is some sort of achievement. I completely get that parents (well, most) are programmed to love their children unconditionally and think they are wonderful, but that doesn't absolve them of responsibility for considering other people. If you are invited to a dinner party for instance, get childcare or don't go. It isn't acceptable (unless you have specifically been invited to bring them) to just turn up with your kid, or to phone up the host and guilt them into letting you bring your kid along.

Also, parents need to accept responsibility for their children's behaviour in public. You want to take your kid to a movie? Fine, but if that child starts crying, screaming, or otherwise disturbing the people around you, then you take it the hell out of the theatre. "Babies cry" or "Children don't have an off switch" or whatever other trite BS you trot out doesn't excuse you.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I like kids. They are nice and innocent. What I dislike are the parents that think they deserve more than anyone else because they have kids. Just because you have kids doesn't mean I can't be tiered and such shit.
While they aren't the majority, there are quite a few parents that believe they are better than the rest of us that don't have kids. And no, I don't have kids. No, I don't know when I will have them or if I will have them. And even if I wanted them right now the law doesn't allow me right now to have them since being gay is not okay in my country. So please stop asking me why and please stop telling me it's time. It's time to get them when I feel like it and not when I've made a arbitrary number of circles around the sun.

I know how to deal with the shittiest brats but I don't know how to deal with the shittiest parents.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Baffle said:
Happyninja42 said:
I dunno, taking into consideration that you too, were once the thing you hate, I'd like to think you'd cut your past self, and all the future people a little bit of slack during that time that we were all annoying, loud little shitbags, because we didn't know any better.
I find this is an approach you can adopt until people are in their early twenties, after which tolerance levels may slip somewhat.
Which is fine. By that age if you are still acting like an annoying, loud shitbag, then it's pretty much by choice, not simply because your brain is still mostly undeveloped and in a constant state of restructuring. xD But since we're talking about little children, my statement stands I think, lol.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Is there a stronger word than hate? If so, I pick that one.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Baffle said:
Oh, I completely agree with you - I find the lack of empathy or understanding in this thread a little disturbing to be honest, but I put it down to people not really meaning what they say - this is the internet after all, and one mustn't appear too positive about anything.

I was more reflecting on some of my own terribly embarrassing behaviour as a teenager (I thought I hated children then, too; these days, not at all) and thinking how glad I am that people cut me some slack (though I dare say they raged against me impotently on a forum somewhere - 'grrrr! that Baffle this, that Baffle that, grrrr! Oh how I do hate him Papa!').
Oh god yeah, me too. I look back on some of the shit I did in my teens and early 20's and try and actually rationalize it, and I just simply can't. I wasn't entirely sane at that time, there's just no other explanation. Not surprising, considering some of the stuff going on at that time in my life, but I definitely made some poor choices about a lot of things. Who I hung out with, what activities I decided I should do, love interests. You name it. Some I guess I could just chalk up to normal "teenage rebellion/exploration" but some of it...heh, yeah just "because I was fucking nuts" pretty much seems like the only answer that makes sense. xD

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Why would I not dislike a group that more often then nots end up being put next to me on a bus and screeching in my ears?

Seriously, the fucking screeching. I'm indifferent to quiet kids, can even appreciate them, but loud screeching crying ones always rape my ears and so I've grown a bit of resentment there. It's shitty enough waking up early in morning to go for a dull and long bus ride without fellow passengers making the ride hell on top of everything.
But I just go to my happy place and think happy thoughts...AAIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAIIIIEEEEEEEE Oh ffs. 20 more mins on the bus? God help me.

So yeah OP you're not weird imo. Just so long as you don't act on it :p

BiH-Kira said:
While they aren't the majority, there are quite a few parents that believe they are better than the rest of us that don't have kids. And no, I don't have kids. No, I don't know when I will have them or if I will have them. And even if I wanted them right now the law doesn't allow me right now to have them since being gay is not okay in my country. So please stop asking me why and please stop telling me it's time. It's time to get them when I feel like it and not when I've made a arbitrary number of circles around the sun.
Eugh this x10 too. Fortunately I've got a counter if you don't mind being rude: the reason you don't have kids is because unlike SOME who view their life success based on their children, I ain't gonna be bringing a kid into this world until I'm good and ready and able to offer the best life possible for this kid.

Since often the parents with this mentality had kids young, this kinda throws it back into their face, that reason you don't have kids is because you want to be the best parent possible unlike SOME who just want to give birth ASAP just so they can be parents.

Or a less rude variation works too, either way should hopefully prevent you from being hassled about it constantly. Unless you're a woman, in which case I'm sorry, you have to deal with "friendly" reminders about biological clocks all the time on top of everything else as well :/

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Yes. Kids range from monstrous little sadistic killers to cute, benevolent little angels.

So hating them indiscriminately is a sign of deep and serious mental issues. Seek a professional.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Secondhand Revenant said:
Not if you're going to be unreasonable and act like not catering to you means catering to them. Unreasonable people can deal with their own problems as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be bad that I don't care about people's problems when they come in to complain in that manner.
It kindda is one or the other. Either you side with me that public spaces should be accommodating for everyone and those causing a disturbance should go or you side with those causing the disturbance being allowed to with impunity. Is it really so unreasonable to not want to be driven out of a public place out of no fault of my own?

flashoverride said:
Yeah bro, it's public. Meaning they have every right to be there you do. If you weren't so self-absorbed, you could probably go and ask their parents politely and they might make some attempt to accommodate you.

Also, I have tinnitus and hearing loss from sustained weapons fire and explosives. You seriously going to tell me that you're around a lot of kids who are routinely penetrating the 120 decibel impulse noise level?
Imma counter your first point with "your rights end where mine begin". I didn't fuck with them but they're fucking with me, yet I'm the one who needs to deal with it? And I have tried, every time I've found a baby crying or a child making an ass out of themselves and the parent is already making no attempt to stop it you get treated like the asshole for asking if they could try. And you get ostracized for it, you get those glares from people who think you just need to deal with it. No, I don't. Not like they want me to at least.

Second point. No, but my tinnitus is pitch sensitive. A gunshot without hearing protection actually causes me less pain than a child crying. Also, if you knew anything about hearing damage you'd know that once a certain level of damage is done it takes progressively fewer decibels to cause additional damage.

Last point, if not wanting to be run out of a public place because of the physical pain someone else's child is causing me is self-absorbed then I guess I am. I'm also one of those assholes who doesn't want to be beaten, tortured, raped, maimed, or killed. How dare I care about myself and the pain others can cause me?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Unbearable pain? Is this pain emotional or physical?
Completely physical. A child screaming/crying is at or above the pitch that my tinnitus is sensitive to. I can't describe the pain or even how it feels. I've never felt a pain like it and that's saying something. It's worse than getting kicked in the nuts.