Is Medal of Honor Offensive ?

dillirgaf

Dec 29, 2008
Why is Medal of Honor being banned for being truly modern?
It is showing a current conflict. This is a step the most movies, TV shows, and games won't make. They will make Russia, US, capitalism or PMC's the bad guys but not people that blow themselves up to kill as many people as possible.
Now to not only show this but to play as them is somehow offensive. I can understand that taking the life of a soldier may rattle some cages but this is a video game.
So I ask are you offended? If so what offends you? Killing soldiers, killing the Taliban, or something else?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
It's not offensive in the least. Anyone that is offended by the content of the game (or any game for that matter) needs to bash themselves in the face with a hammer until they no longer possess the mental capacity to continue.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Sort of, but so is 90% of the gaming world these days. If you have a problem, don't play the game.
dillirgaf said:
They will make Russia, US, capitalism or PMC's the bad guys but not people that blow themselves up to kill as many people as possible.
Seriously though, Russia/China must hate western games, and I can see why. Any modern warfare based game, and it is always against Russia/China. This is why I prefer Eastern developers. Cryostasis, Stalker, Cossacks, all good.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Its offensive in the eyes of some people.

If there is someone here who is offended by MoH and is able to give a decent explaination on why then I'm all ears, eyes whatever.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Agayek said:
It's not offensive in the least. Anyone that is offended by the content of the game (or any game for that matter) needs to bash themselves in the face with a hammer until they no longer possess the mental capacity to continue.
This, its a bloody video game. Guess what? There are actual REAL wars going on in the world with real people, many of whom are unrelated civilians and children, being killed every day. Video games are not going to start any violence, we have that covered already.

If someone thinks the murder of a 3D model in a video game is a big deal, how about protesting the real wars they are based on first. Video games and any other medium should have the freedom of speech to make whatever point about real world issues they want.

kwfang

Feb 22, 2010
I know a couple of marines/soldiers who aren't offended by this at all. They actually look forward to playing it. The people who are offended by it that I can see is like wifes of soldiers. I don't really see why they made a big deal for nothing I mean you shoot Americans in CODMW2 when your trying to kill Shepard and they didn't make a big deal out of that. Then again you were British soldiers trying to get revenge and your the Taliban (Opposing force) in this game so I guess it matters? Anyway people getting offended by this was just dumb it isn't real, its made to have fun like all other fps, and people need to stop thinking to much about games and just play it.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
It's no more or less offensive then anything else out/coming out. The only reason the ban stayed was of the whole taliban thing, if that was never exploited by the media like it was even without the name change it still wouldn't have been a problem.

AdmiralFace

Sep 30, 2010
I am not offended by this game or its content, I was delighted to play the open beta (it soaked up my life for four days :p). I can, however, understand how some people could be offended.

Outright being the Taliban?

It was a risky move, and I wish they'd stuck to it. Everyone is over Politically Correct these days...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bon_Clay said:
Agayek said:
This, its a bloody video game. Guess what? There are actual REAL wars going on in the world with real people, many of whom are unrelated civilians and children, being killed every day. Video games are not going to start any violence, we have that covered already.

If someone thinks the murder of a 3D model in a video game is a big deal, how about protesting the real wars they are based on first. Video games and any other medium should have the freedom of speech to make whatever point about real world issues they want.
I detest the argument of "it's only a game! Lighten up!" because it completely undermines the point of this game. If EA is trying to respect and honor those who have fought in this war, isn't it kind of detrimental to say "Oh, it's just a game! It doesn't mean anything!"? We shouldn't hide behind the "it's only a game!" argument, we should confront the arguments directly instead of shielding ourselves with a backfiring argument.

That's not to say that I find it offensive, it's no moreso than any other game set in Namelessbad only this time Namelessbad actually has a name. To an extent, I understand why some are offended about the game, but don't use the "it's just a game!" argument when the whole point is that war is not a game.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
You can't relate video games to movies and TV shows because it ain't considered an art form. Gotta wait for all these old farts who are ignorant about video games to die out...

Sad but true...

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I will say that it is absoluteky rediculous to rename the Taliban 'Opposing Force'.
Seriously, you're still the Taliban, but the name is different! You're still killing the AMerican forces! Does the NAME really make that much difference?!

migo

Jun 27, 2010
MoH isn't offensive, but the people complaining about it are an offense to humanity.

MakerOfRoads

Aug 19, 2009
MoH may not be offensive to some, but it poses a very real threat to the company producing the game. Just because it could be, from what I understand its not going to be sold at any BX/PX. Active duty military are from what I understand a decent portion of the audience for these type games. Ive had to listen to plenty of conversations at work about how many knife kills they got, or what rank they are now in the game, so I can see why EA would want to patch things up to increase possible sales (aside from EA being a loathsome company populated by Incubi and succubi, nonetheless their business strategies are sound imo).

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jumplion said:
I detest the argument of "it's only a game! Lighten up!" because it completely undermines the point of this game. If EA is trying to respect and honor those who have fought in this war, isn't it kind of detrimental to say "Oh, it's just a game! It doesn't mean anything!"? We shouldn't hide behind the "it's only a game!" argument, we should confront the arguments directly instead of shielding ourselves with a backfiring argument.

That's not to say that I find it offensive, it's no moreso than any other game set in Namelessbad only this time Namelessbad actually has a name. To an extent, I understand why some are offended about the game, but don't use the "it's just a game!" argument when the whole point is that war is not a game.
That's because that's not the argument, at least in my take. The argument is that people shouldn't be offended by anything, especially when they have a clear choice whether or not to expose themselves to the offensive material (aka, if you don't like it, you are more than capable of simply not buying it).

Anyone that is offended by quite literally anything that they have the option to avoid needs to remove themselves from the gene pool before their stupidity infects our whole species.

Also, the game doesn't treat the subject matter any differently than any movie about the "War on Terror". If it's acceptable for movies like the Hurt Locker to exist, it should be just as acceptable for Medal of Honor to have the Taliban in it. It's a ridiculous double standard that really needs to stop.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Does it matter? I mean, this is one of those things you can easily just ignore and not participate in.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Let's be honest. I can see how some people would find it offensive. If you walk into a room and see some dude playing a game as the Taliban killing British or American (or whoever) soldiers, there's a number of possible and understandable reactions. I don't mean understandable as in "Yes, I see what you mean and now I know I am awful for taking part in this" but understandable as in "Yes, given what is going on in the world (conflicts which may directly affect you, your family, or your friends) I can see how you'd be offended by this".

Given that we're very invested in this blossoming medium, we want to protect it and give it the freedom that other art forms are given. But the people offended by this Medal of Honor fiasco who aren't so familiar with gaming have a disposition towards gaming not unlike what the average person on this forum (myself included) has towards, for example, the Twilight series. That is, we toss aside any merits it may or may not have without even trying to learn more or even give it a chance.

How do we react to these people? Well, take a look through the News thread announcing that EA will change the name [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.235866-EA-Cuts-Taliban-From-Medal-of-Honor?page=1]. There's a lot of less than admirable reactions from our part and this site is supposed to be one of the more mature gaming communities online (so if you want more of a representative look at the reactions, check out the comments on IGN's, Gamespot's, or other gaming websites' story on this). If we want people to stop treating games like a second-rate medium, then we need to engage in better discourse with the people who don't understand games. We're not doing ourselves any favors calling these people "retards who should have their skulls bashed in to save the world from their stupidity".

Alpha164

Oct 8, 2010
well im from nz so im naturally not affended in anyway, actually if i recall correctly i think it was a general in the us army whom was afraid it may possibly spark another attack from the taliban or something like that, eventually resulting in them being renamed to the 'oppsing force'

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Jumplion said:
Bon_Clay said:
Agayek said:

I see your point that it shouldn't be necessary to bring up the fact it is a game when discussing whether or not what is portrayed in it is offensive and needs changing. But that wasn't really what I meant, I use the argument of its only a game to the ideas that it will encourage violence or be used as a terrorist training simulator (actually heard this be suggested). And that from these people's perspectives who think the killing in it is offensive, shouldn't the real war itself be just as offensive? If the war is justified, then its the same as them attacking a history book about the war, in that case I would say its only a book. And if they think the war is not justified, then fictional stories based on the war shouldn't even be on their radar as they should be protesting it.

I respect a video game's ability to deal with any subject matter just as much as a book or movie, and that if it does so well it isn't just a silly game and can be thought provocation and emotionally moving. People have the ability to realize the difference between a video game and real life when it comes to whether or not they imitate whats in the game, but at the same time can immerse themselves in it and take the story as it is in context.