Is MGS5 most overrated game of this generation?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I don't know if it's "the most overrated game", but it was disappointing in a lot of ways. It's story was a mess, there was content cut to the point that it didn't have an ending, it was padded beyond belief, it didn't have much depth...

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
I get your critiques about Witcher 3 Ezekiel, but I've found that I'm able to establish a pretty good/vernacular for combat with what's provided. I wouldn't have minded a bit more grace and nuance but what's there feels impactful when I needed it, as well as lithe/agile. I especially like how the skill acquired through leveling gel with the physical combat.

Also, totally out of curiosity, where do you rate Dark Souls in terms of RPG/action hybrids?

JaKandDaxter

War does change
Jan 10, 2009
Good to see my GT comrades. And as said earlier, I think the game drags on too long. Particularly with how expensive and long it takes to develop stuff. That 137hr 100% completion on HLTB.com must have included purchasing MB coins.

It's petty ridiculous that practically everything soon cost 400k or more to develop. Also annoyed with the big GMP deployment cost differences. When the only difference between an upgraded gun and the previously model may just be a suppressor (Quiet silencer sniper for example). I love MGSV and poured 70+ hours so far, and I'm up to mission 30. But it does feel like I'm playing a free to play game at times with how long it takes to get stuff done.

I can see why some people didn't finish MGSV. Its far longer than the average RPG, and requires far more time and effort than Peace Walker. If I wasn't unemployed, this is a game that would have taken the better part of a year to properly finish.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I've had more fun in Ground Zeroes than probably 90% of the games I played last generation, let alone MGSV. I'll play a different game if I want linear and scripted. This is one of the games where you have to create your own fun and think a bit. Seem to remember another game last generation that did this *cough* Crysis *cough*

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zhukov said:
Yeah, it's pretty overrated.

Not as overrated as Hitman is going to be though.

That's going to easily and without a doubt be the single most overrated piece of media in the course of human history.
The fuck? How? I myself am hyped about it (long time Hitman fan) but it sure as fuck isnt a game you see many people liking and playing.

Even then there have been already some issues with the beta and people are very vocal about it. And still at no point have I seen anyone say that it seemed to surpass Blood Money.

If you want a potentially overrated game you have Overwatch since its by Blizzard so someone will defend it no matter what

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
josemlopes said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah, it's pretty overrated.

Not as overrated as Hitman is going to be though.

That's going to easily and without a doubt be the single most overrated piece of media in the course of human history.
The fuck? How? I myself am hyped about it (long time Hitman fan) but it sure as fuck isnt a game you see many people liking and playing.

Even then there have been already some issues with the beta and people are very vocal about it. And still at no point have I seen anyone say that it seemed to surpass Blood Money.

If you want a potentially overrated game you have Overwatch since its by Blizzard so someone will defend it no matter what
You are missing some context for my post. Chill.

Although I would have hoped that the phrase "single most overrated piece of media in the course of human history" would clue people into the fact that I was not being entirely serious.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to contemplating pre-ordering the overpriced version of Overwatch that essentially costs an extra $20 for a few skins despite never having liked a Blizzard game ever before.

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
[HEADING=2]Mod Voice[/HEADING]

Gundam GP01:

Gundam GP01 said:
Ezekiel said:
In my many years of posting on forums, I don't remember ever getting any complaints for not using quotes. They understood that I was talking to them and they could follow the conversation. I quote when the person I'm responding to directly is a few posts back, or I start my message with their name. I've never had a problem with it. You're complicated. I think I'm done.
It's a matter of common courtesy. Of Respect. Of actually making sure that the person you want to talk to actually reads the god damn thing you're talking to them about.

It's one click. It literally takes no fucking effort to do it, especially for short posts like these. Just click the button once and type your post under it. That's it.

For someone to just completely disregard taking such a minuscule amount of effort for apparently no reason just pisses me off.

EDIT: Just going to point out that if this forum was active at all like it was before, it's entirely likely that your unquoted postswould be buried under at least 1 to 2 new pages of new posts, meaning I might actually never see it unless I obsessively read every thread I've participated in.
Woah woah woah...

woah

That kinda came out of nowhere. If you want to talk about respect, you don't turn around and cuss someone out, when noting that it gives them a notification in their user CP so that they can keep track as to whether someone's replied to them will do just as well. There's no call for that sort of language, especially directed at another user. That's just a quick way to blow through any credibility you have with them.

Edit:
I note on review that someone's already spoken to you on this point, WRT another thread, so I'm going to impose some time out. Please consider this on your return.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I'd say as a far as gamers reactions go its not overrated. Plenty of gamers recognise it as being a massive disappointment and terrible end to Kojima's MGS presence.

...But in terms of critical reviews by the press... Jesus, yes it got overrated. Looking at the scores you have to wonder what the jornos were smoking. The fact that nearly all professional reviewers could see no fault in the game makes me wonder if they were playing the same thing.

IMO these are probably the 2 best "reviews" I've seen of the game. They reflex everything I think down to a tee:

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
It's the greatest game in the series after MGS3 while MGS4 takes the spot as the worst game in the series.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Gekidami said:
I'd say as a far as gamers reactions go its not overrated. Plenty of gamers recognise it as being a massive disappointment and terrible end to Kojima's MGS presence.

...But in terms of critical reviews by the press... Jesus, yes it got overrated. Looking at the scores you have to wonder what the jornos were smoking. The fact that nearly all professional reviewers could see no fault in the game makes me wonder if they were playing the same thing.
Pretty much this. Then again, the majority of reviews came out of review boot camps and are, by default, entirely untrustworthy. Even if the camps weren't an issue -and they are- sadly in enthusiast press most major licenses are always going to garner positive reviews for clicks even if the product is crap; and MGSV wasn't even crap, it was just underwhelming and had its share of faults.

Gamers, though, call it as they see it in regards to this particular title, so not really overrated where it counts, as far as I'm concerned at least.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I think that...since I didn't play it, and that he plot has been pretty much a mess since after the first MGS (or sooner, according to some), that...I have no idea.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
It's Metal Gear. It's the most overrated series in gaming.

Though I will say compared to the others this one seems to be having its hype moderately grounded. Everyone is aware that narratively, it is puddle deep and unnecessary and doesn't even hold up to the bad cheesy anime standards of the previous games. Or as the fans will say "The brilliance of the former games stories".

But praising it's gameplay, which from a distance I don't really get. It looks like it has standard third person (Or hell even first person) mechanics and gameplay that have been in stealth games for the last 8 years, and it just has an open world?

So I guess this is...something innovative and new for the Metal Gear series buuut...I mean we've seen this before right? From the last two Splinter Cell's(fuck you), Dishonored, Hitman Absolution(uuuuuuuuugh)and the Arkham games.

I don't know, whatever. Bottom line is it seems to be the Metal Gear with the most contained hype and buzz of them all.