Is Modern CGI Unambitious?

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Dryk said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I think a good mixture of hand drawn and CGI is the way to go.

Looks really crisp, and flows brilliantly.
That's my favourite sequence from either season. I especially love the spin and fire from the Tachikoma near the middle. It's also a brilliant example of how cel-shaded CGI doesn't have to look as obvious as it often does.
It also helps that they keep everything logical and within a certain canon.

Why does the Jigabachi have such a small flight time? The armor stopping the Tachikoma's high caliber guns weighs it down.

Why did the Tachikoma spin around when the chopper was about to fire on it? To protect the Major.

Why does the Major whip out a 9mm pistol against a heavily armored attack helicopter? To retain high priority by the AI while Saito lines up his shot.

It's small details like this that really keep the visual captivation firmly in place.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Freechoice said:
It's small details like this that really keep the visual captivation firmly in place.
And yet their fail basic physics.

How much does the Major weight? Not that much, considering he doesn't cracks the surface she walks on. On what direction is the velocity vector of the helicopter she's holding in position in that very scene? At least partially, if not mostly, upwards. The helicopter has already established sufficient power to move a tachikoma tank not currently on wheels in addition to the weight of the major.

Why then is she not just lifted off her feet?

Umm, umm... plot and rule of cool?

GitS:SAC 1 and 2 were great series. But logical they are not, at least not to any exceptional degree.

Dec 14, 2009
SakSak said:
Freechoice said:

How much does the Major weight? Not that much, considering he doesn't cracks the surface she walks on. On what direction is the velocity vector of the helicopter she's holding in position in that very scene? At least partially, if not mostly, upwards. The helicopter has already established sufficient power to move a tachikoma tank not currently on wheels in addition to the weight of the major.

GitS:SAC 1 and 2 were great series. But logical they are not, at least not to any exceptional degree.
She's the Major.

The Major doesn't obey physics, physics obey her.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of CGI. Especially CGI humans. You can make it as realistic as possible with the chin quivers and lips but the eyes/eyebrows just can't be copied for some reason. All CGI humans have these creepy dead eyes that show no emotion.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
rhizhim said:
it is fucking hard to be a game developer today.

you get bitched by your fanbase because you use cutscenes.
and you constantly hear them say they prefer it interactive like half-life.

you get bitched because you reduce the cutscenes to make it more interactive.
and you should had told the interactive scene in form of a cutscene.

damned if you do, damned if you dont.

developers arent lazy.
they have sometimes to sacrifice things in order to comply with the sometimes ridicilous timelines the publishers put on them.

and they reduced the numbers of cutscenes because they asked gamers what they like and what they dont like.
and one thing they always hear people ***** about is that they have to see several cutscenes that sometimes are unskippable (see jrpgs).

the fanbase sometimes doesnt know what they want to see in a game but you still have to ask them because if you dont, they call your company assholes.

modern cgi is not unambitious, its that the gamer base outright tells the developers that they are either a waste of time or that they negatively affect the game rating( most times both).

so in short, gamers are getting what they asked for. (in terms of quality and numbers of cutscenes in a game)
I have never heard of anyone bitching about a few amazing cgi cut scenes. If anything, they want them - look at the justified complaints about the shitty scenes from ME3.
What you need however is a balance.
Have the majority interactive with chat options or something, but have big fight scenes etc done with cgi. Just look at how everyone creamed themselves with the DoW intro all those years ago.

But I have to say that devs are lazy. Never before has the hardware been so far ahead of many games due to devs not bothering to learn to code for new hardware. This is also why many won't be bothered to learn how to use Maya.

DugMachine said:
I'm not a huge fan of CGI. Especially CGI humans. You can make it as realistic as possible with the chin quivers and lips but the eyes/eyebrows just can't be copied for some reason. All CGI humans have these creepy dead eyes that show no emotion.
It can be done nowadays as the way to solve those problems were extremely complex, but many devs just have not stayed up-to-date with the software.

Silverfox99

May 7, 2011
Wait what? The point of this thread is to say they did a better job of CGI in the 90's than today? Do you know what they were saying about CGI in the late 80's and 90's? It wasn't nice and it makes my dead grandma blush.

The same arguments being said in this thread were said when sound was added to movies, when color was added, when any advancement tech wise happened. No its not that CGI makers are lazy, its that some people make good movies/scenes while others don't. Its that some people like a different style then other people.

Fuck you Hemingway! You and your succinct dialogue. James Joyce is so much better cause he wrote in a time when they knew what writing was, before everyone used those fancy typing machines.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
SakSak said:
Freechoice said:

It's anime. Do you really expect any of them to ever get physics right ever? EVAR!?!?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Freechoice said:
It's anime. Do you really expect any of them to ever get physics right ever? EVAR!?!?
Not really, but since we were speaking of internal consistency (and GitS has shown lift and force and aerodynamics of helicopters function as normal), that's a pretty big minus.

Like I said, great series but has standard anime pitfalls.