Is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic good?

GooBeyond

Nov 12, 2009
ive watched 5 episodes . its not as good as people make it sound ... REALLY simple and lame story arches in every episode. definitely aimed at a VERY young audience.

dont waste your time.

kjh242

Jan 7, 2010
Kiltguy said:
colossal snip

Off-topic: The fans, or "Broines", or whatever you call them, actually made me like the show even more, weirdly enough.
agreed. really, it's the community that makes the show so very awesome. The best fanfics i've ever seen are pony (seriously, they AREN'T CRAP. amazing in and of itself). go to equestriadaily.com (or whatever, it's a personal favorite) to see for yourself just what part of the community is capable of.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I, a 20 year old male college student who is doing a double specialization in marketing and accounting and play mostly shooters love the show. I've always hated MLP before this show.

My brother is 17, plans to be a science teacher, loves the show. His friends, same ages, same interests like the show.

Give it a try; go past the first two episodes. It's cute, smart for a cartoon, funny most of the time, hilarious at times, well written, good voice acting, good songs, almost every character is likable, and it has a decent number of references/kick backs to older cartoons and other things (One episode is "Boast busters", another one Twilight's running # is 42 and she read the "egghead's guide to running", etc).

GooBeyond said:
REALLY simple and lame story arches in every episode.

dont waste your time.
That sounds like almost every other television show on the air right now.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
It's a very well written, smart cartoon aimed squarely at young girls. Whether you will like it or not depends entirely on whether you will be bothered by deliberately watching a cartoon aimed at young girls. ;)

It's worth noting: It ain't Spongebob Squarepants. This isn't a cartoon that's sneakily aimed at young adults but knows it can get the kids in too. Oh no, this one is very up front about its aim. But it's written with so much verve and energy that it's hard not to love it.

Also? Rarity is win, and don't let anyone tell you different. She's fancy.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Great show.
The voice acting and anamation are top notch, and the writing is another plus. Worth checking out.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
yo mato said:
it is good. Actually is a lot better than a lot of regular tv shows airing now. As a matter of fact im a newly converted brony ten minutes ago
Welcome to the herd, and the friendliest community this side of 4chan :D

Surprising how quickly you go from "this is a stupid show. I can't believe I'm watching it" to having watched 12 episodes in a row before you've realized what you've done.
Kiltguy said:
Off-topic: The fans, or "Broines", or whatever you call them, actually made me like the show even more, weirdly enough.
Bronies, that be. Plural of brony. And yes, the popularity of the show would have collapsed terribly a while back without the awesome community following along.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not too sure. I haven't seen many, But its spammed like crazy in gmod theater.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
GooBeyond said:
ive watched 5 episodes . its not as good as people make it sound ... REALLY simple and lame story arches in every episode. definitely aimed at a VERY young audience.

dont waste your time.
Looks like they missed what they were aiming at.

Waste your time with it. I know I do. It's grand fun in group chat.

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
It's a very good show. Unfortunately, when i try to tell my friends about it, they look at me weird and refuse to even look at it. Any tips to make them at least watch an episode or even part of an episode?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Yes.

Though I might be biased because I like it. It's hard to give an objective opinion.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Some people seem to think so, but other people seem to think otherwise. Watch it and form your own opinion.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Mutilator7 said:
It's a very good show. Unfortunately, when i try to tell my friends about it, they look at me weird and refuse to even look at it. Any tips to make them at least watch an episode or even part of an episode?
Talk about it erryday (not misspelled). Slip horse puns in conversations (easier than you may think). Sing Winter-Wrap up to them against their will (I've done it).

I've almost converted 1 guy in AP US history through these tactics. He's agreed to watch it, atleast.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
No, it's an overpopularized meme or clearly insights some cases of hidden pedophilia(I'm joking about the second theory).

a stranger

Mar 4, 2009
Give the show a chance if you like great if you don't so be it but to answer your question yes its FANTASTIC

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
ChieftainStag said:
I have never seen any thing about it aside from the news page a few days ago about all of the lipsinc trailers (if that's what you can call them) of other things; all of which were pretty cool.
yes its good, basicly the show is good because the people making it care about it,they could have just phoned it in and created an extended toy commercial but insted they chose to make each story intresing and well written, the characters are lovable and relatable,the humer ranges from anywhere sophisticated(makes references to classic shows such as have gun will travel) to crude slapstick(think old style loony tunes anvil dropping out of nowhere), it advocates life lessons without being preachy, inspires intelligent discussions,makes a BUTTLOAD of references to classical Greek mythology(myths such as icarus, and includes awesome monsters such as chimeras, hydras, and pretty bad ass dragons in some episodes)the music is very well done, and many more things make the show great.add to that the fanbase is one of the most devoted and welcoming ones out there

i went in a bit ago not as ahater but as an objective indiffernt resercer trying to figure out what made the show so damn intreisting to people who would othewise not have given it aloo or would have gon to watch soething else, slowly but surely was drawn in and by about the 3 or 5 ep i was hooked.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Mutilator7 said:
Tie them up and force them to watch it? They'll probably forgive you once they realize you were only helping them discover the magic of friendship.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Mutilator7 said:
Show them the image macro made from the show. They can be absolutely hilarious without having them seem "girly". The fan video's made can also be a good idea too, like Ponycraft 2 or The Elder Scrolls IV: Equestria. That'll get them curious about the show, which can help ease them in.