Is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic good?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I thought it's a pretty good cartoon. It's not the best thing I've ever seen. But comparing it to kid shows from the last few years:

I'd say it's a pretty good step towards the right direction. The characters are actually likable, the art design is nice to look at, and it's actually kind of funny.

And this is coming from a 19 year old male.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Condor219 said:
SwimmingRock said:
Episode 10, actually. It features an evil enchantress. When people look into her eyes, they end up in trances. I could continue the song, but I'd just be wasting your time.

Thing is, in order to make it to episode 10, you already have to be hooked, so it doesn't matter anymore by that point.
*coughthatwasepisode9cough*
Umm... not according to my MLP folder and the wikipedia Episode List. Did you miss an episode, perhaps? Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_episodes

Wouldn't want a fellow brony to have missed out on an episode, after all.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought it was Swarm of the Century. You're right. She appears before that. Brony fail.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Ok, here is my take on it. First off, let us get this one little fact out of the way: Yes, it is a show made for the target audience of girls. However, the main person who worked on it, Lauren Faust, who made other kid shows who hit wide audiences wanted to make this show without treating the target audience like idiotic little girls, and instead gave the show some good humor that did not focus on the cliche girl topics.

Sure, it is still My Little Pony, a license that has given us horrible and stupid shows of pink puffy fluff which made anyone but little girls turn away in fear in the past. But this one was made with smart humor, simple but fun storylines, and nice wellrounded characters. This show is not for everyone but I do say people should give it a try. I know I had my doubts when I first got into it, but I loved the show.

Though, I must say the first two episodes were used to introduce you to the world, and the later ones have the majority of the charm the show is known for. So, if you feel like giving it a try and looking past the My Little Pony name, this is where I saw the episodes: http://www.youtube.com/user/MenloMarseilles#g/c/F44B36D569D8C463

Enjoy.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Condor219 said:
SwimmingRock said:
Episode 10, actually. It features an evil enchantress. When people look into her eyes, they end up in trances. I could continue the song, but I'd just be wasting your time.

Thing is, in order to make it to episode 10, you already have to be hooked, so it doesn't matter anymore by that point.
*coughthatwasepisode9cough*
Umm... not according to my MLP folder and the wikipedia Episode List. Did you miss an episode, perhaps? Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_episodes

Wouldn't want a fellow brony to have missed out on an episode, after all.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought it was Swarm of the Century. You're right. She appears before that. Brony fail.
No harm, no foul :) I remember Bridle Gossip vividly as episode 9 because that was the famed Flutterguy episode. Heh, that one made me laugh harder than I have at any animation that I've seen in a long time :D

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Some episodes are good and some not so good. After the first 2 I reckon it really improves.

All the main characters have diverse and even some interesting traits, the dialogue and story's don't make me cringe often like most new cartoons, it's well animated, and there is some good humor and Red & Stimpy type insanity you see from the cast sometimes (wizard_joes avatar) so it can go anywhere. A lot of it is predictable though and no matter how good it is, it is still focused at kids.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Why not see for yourself?

I'd recommend watching the first 4 episodes before you make your decision. Also, if you like it....

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic

Curse you madam. curse you and everything you stand for. It's 3am and i keep telling myself, i have to go to bed. but i genuinely want to watch this whole episode. i may have to watch more tomorrow.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Why not see for yourself?

Vid snip

I'd recommend watching the first 4 episodes before you make your decision. Also, if you like it....

Curse you madam. curse you and everything you stand for. It's 3am and i keep telling myself, i have to go to bed. but i genuinely want to watch this whole episode. i may have to watch more tomorrow.
......and snared. So tell me, how do the rainbows feel? It may take a bit of getting used to, but you should do just fine after acclimatization.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
You're welcome.

Also, once you finish watching more, you might be interested in this:

Aug 1, 2010
No, not really.

I watched 9 episodes and it is just another animated kids show

Yes, the voice acting and animation are surprisingly good and some of the characters are fun, but
other than that it's silly and predictable.

The reason I hate it, is because of the massive amount of guys who like it with such a passion that it has invaded every aspect of their online communication. In addition, all the horrible, horrible parody videos of bad ass trailers set to MLP images.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Easton Dark said:
Mutilator7 said:
It's a very good show. Unfortunately, when i try to tell my friends about it, they look at me weird and refuse to even look at it. Any tips to make them at least watch an episode or even part of an episode?
Talk about it erryday (not misspelled). Slip horse puns in conversations (easier than you may think). Sing Winter-Wrap up to them against their will (I've done it).
The thread isn't asking about what's the quickest way to get punched in the face. People tend to avoid things that are overexposed and recommended to them or have the bar set way too high when they do agree to give it a shot.

The post above this is almost a perfect example of the former occurring. Too much exposure makes people grow sick and tired of it quickly. The uppitiness of the base is probably the reason behind at least half of the backlash.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Small Waves said:
Easton Dark said:
Mutilator7 said:
It's a very good show. Unfortunately, when i try to tell my friends about it, they look at me weird and refuse to even look at it. Any tips to make them at least watch an episode or even part of an episode?
Talk about it erryday (not misspelled). Slip horse puns in conversations (easier than you may think). Sing Winter-Wrap up to them against their will (I've done it).
snip
Exaggeration on my part in the post above. But just to let you know I havn't been punched in the face yet, and considering I've convinced someone else to watch, it's not a bad way to go about business. You also assume I pursue it with the same fervor people online do in less-savory corners of the internet. That's not true at all.

I do find it odd that having something recommended would actually make it less appealing to people though.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Since SO many people have pointed out what's good about it, I think I'll simply describe my first encounter with this show:

Started the first episode.
Watched the first five minutes of said episode.
The only thing I could think was, "This is probably the gayest thing I could be doing right now."
Finger hovers over close button.
Applebloom comes on the screen:

Cuteness wins me over, and I have to finish the episode.
Finished the first episode, mildly impressed, but not sure what the big deal is.
The next day, I couldn't think about anything but ponies all day.
Got home, watched the next episode. Then the next one. Then the next one.
Brony conversion complete:

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
it seems to me only those whom have not sat down and watched a few episodes (more than the first two, those weren't the best) are the only ones whom have something against the show. Try watching winter wrap up and not get that bloody song stuck in your head. Seriously I"ve caught myself humming it at work before....

Aglaid

Mar 27, 2011
Yes it is an awesome show that you should at least try watching at least once even if you end up hating it.

I just had to post this :)

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
MrDeckard said:
In addition, all the horrible, horrible parody videos of bad ass trailers set to MLP images.
This is an outright lie. Back before I liked the show, and hated it if for no other reason than because it was popular, I still liked the trailer mash-ups.

jackknife402 said:
it seems to me only those whom have not sat down and watched a few episodes (more than the first two, those weren't the best) are the only ones whom have something against the show. Try watching winter wrap up and not get that bloody song stuck in your head. Seriously I"ve caught myself humming it at work before....
I mic spam the song on vent while playing LoL waiting for the game to load. Pretty much everyone I play LoL with randomly starts singing it now, regardless of whether or not they like the show.

Nightfire3230

Aug 6, 2010
At first I hated it but after couple watching a couple more episodes I started liking it. I'm not a fan but I enjoy it. I dont consider myself a "Brony" though.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
scorptatious said:
I thought it's a pretty good cartoon. It's not the best thing I've ever seen. But comparing it to kid shows from the last few years:

I'd say it's a pretty good step towards the right direction. The characters are actually likable, the art design is nice to look at, and it's actually kind of funny.

And this is coming from a 19 year old male.
i think back to the barnyard is hilarious

kjh242

Jan 7, 2010
DuctTapeJedi said:
scorptatious said:
Why on Earth does the male cow have udders?
I believe that's part of the point he's trying to make. Also, I don't think anyone knows the answer to your question. They did in the (horrible) movie too.