is my nephew wasting his life?

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
I'll bet he won't end up being a game dev anyhow, and if he does, who cares?
And it's 2011 right now, for the record.
so what if its 2011 so is gaming dead in the next 5-15 years

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
...You're an idiot.
Don't stop him, encourage him.
Don't try to get him any exercise, either let him realise he needs that himself or ignore it; if it doesn't matter to him, at the very least yet, why should it to you?
And please, take an English course. Now.

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
okay he is getting exersise but i am going to encouge him by giving him a game idea since hes all out any suggestions?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I think you should let your nephew become the man he wants to be, if you encourage him maybe he'll become the next Ed Boon, Ken Levine.. etc, you never know!

Dr.Sean said:
No. Go take an English course at your local community college, and then stop him.
Your not funny.

Yes I know.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Hauntghost20 said:
okay i have a 11 year old nephew who said when he was 9 that he wanted to make games since i am a part time game deleveloper i know that starting can be hard so fast foward back to 2011 he is over weight and everyother sterytypical traits that a nerd sould have BUT! he is almost expert at 3d GML devloment knows python off by heart and HTML he just finshed downloading c++ so should i stop him?

(sorry for grammer)
I don't see any errors here.

Do you not want him to work in the games industry, is that it? Why not? I hear bad things about it, but if that is what he wants.
Do you not want him to be a nerd? Good luck with that, I mean most nerds survive life just fine.
Is it because he is fat? Well he is 11 years old, I have seen fat 11 year olds grow out of it, and I have seen skinny 11 year olds grow to be huge... so to early to tell.

All in all I would say he is doing anything but wasting his life, if he already has mastered 3DSmax and Python.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
You could get him to do a bit of training and get fat trimming but as for stopping him doing his design work, why would you?

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
At that age and with those skills already?

They're transferable skills too. Encourage him. Buy him a wristguard mousemat or something though, don't want him to end up with carpal tunnel or something.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
The kid is making an actual effort to learn programming languages. At age 11. I implore you to tell him to keep at it and encourage him and motivate him to keep at it, he's years ahead of the future generation of programmers.

However, the weight is still an issue. Encourage him to do some exercise, hell, get the boy's parents to do some with him, family walks and so forth. He'll probably have to be dragged out the house but after a few weeks of it you'll all grow to like it. Exercise and family time are highly under-rated things that modern families really don't get enough of.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Hauntghost20 said:
PoisonUnagi said:
Well, I'm pointing out that you can't "fast forward back" to 2011.

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
everybody i have seen my ways i want him to be a nerd i want him to be in the game dev but i dont want him to be on the computer 24/7 that doesnt know what a tree is expect know how much polys it has

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
One cannot implement an object without doing some basic research on it.

On a cynical note, your positive he actually knows those programming languages? Shown you some of the things he's done, explain core concepts etc and not just said he knows them?

If it's just the latter then he's probably lying.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Hauntghost20 said:
PoisonUnagi said:
Well, I'm pointing out that you can't "fast forward back" to 2011.

It's called going back to the future (which is actually the present, but the future from where you just traveled).....heck they made a movie out of it.

Gonna have to start calling you McFly or something.

IT is a great field for anyone to go in. If he doesn't make it as a game designer he'll have plenty of skills to land a backup job and he'll still be able to make fun games on the side if he wants etc. I think they predicted that IT is going to be one of the most in damage degrees in the future.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Aged 11 and knows 3D GML and Python by heart?

For the love of the gods man, encourage him!
At that rate he'll be an expert programmer in several languages by the time he's 15.

Don't be an asshole, let him follow his dreams!

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
Idocreating said:
One cannot implement an object without doing some basic research on it.

On a cynical note, your positive he actually knows those programming languages? Shown you some of the things he's done, explain core concepts etc and not just said he knows them?

If it's just the latter then he's probably lying.

yes i have seen him actully coding sitting behind him and watching him code from heart no copy paste or copying from webbpage

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
You are worried that he knows what he wants to do? Killing dreams is normally not a very good idea, it can turn him into just another lazy person who floats through life never really doing anything and never achieving their potential because all anyone ever did when they grew up was crush their dreams and have a negative outlook on everything they did.

Its what he wants to do, who are you to stop him? Its not like he wants to be a serial killer, THAT you should stop.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
*ahem*
No stop him, take him aside, break his computer and force him to work a steady job that he knows he can find employment in. Maybe labor so he can work off some pounds

That's the answer you wanted right?
Look, if you ask me, which you did, I'm going to say that you should give the kid a chance to do what he wants. My third cousin likes to fancy himself a game developer/maker in his future. The diffrence between him and your nephew is that your nephew seems to have drive and compassion to learn all the techincal know how. If he has the drive to do it, than let him do it. Sure it's a gamble but life is a big fat gamble ain't it? And say gaming doesn't work, then he should be come an IT guy somewhere. My third cousin...well he plays triple A titles, but not like how he should if he wants to create games. He doesn't have the drive, he just wants to do it because, well hell he plays games now and thinks he could make a living on that.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
It's best to let people learn things themselves. At eleven, I'd just wait to see if anything changes.

Plus, that kid is devoted, I wish I was.