is my taste in music good?

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
So you are saying that you need thumbs up from complete strangers to feel good of listening to your own music?
Sorry but personally I think that's pretty stupid because I listen to stuff which no one likes and I don't care. :D

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Velvo said:
Those are knock-off bands. Your taste is okay, but you could be listening to better versions of the genres you appear to like.
Like other people it doesn't matter what we say, you like what you like, but to really answer your question, hell yes.

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
I wouldn't put my taste up for vote. Some people will think it's good, others poor. Me, I think it's alright. Not my exact cup of tea, but I've ventured there now and again. No-one comes close to Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips but then I'm a fanboy so nothing I say can be used in an argument.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Chris Kolbeck said:
i have been arguing about my taste in music with a few guys, so i have to check if i was right.
is my taste in music good or bad?
i like the killers, coldplay, onerepublic and gorillaz.
i like more but htose are my faves
I know you're probably sick of being qouted for this thread. But seriously: Why ask the INTERNET? And I know that the Escapist has some fairly decent people (unlike some other forums) but this, this is just asking for it.
[sub]it's like asking a troll "am I gay?" or better yet, telling the internet to stop calling you "homo" yeah, that'll work...[/sub]

OT: I like Coldplay, and I like Gorillaz, I haven't heard much of The Killers except "Human" (which just bugs the crap out of me: "are we human or are we dancer?" 0.o WHAT?!)
I think "Apologize" by Onerepublic sucks ass... but it's your taste in music. Like BonsaiK said, music (just like any artform) is subjective. So yeah, you have good taste in music. Not to me, but to yourself.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
In my opinion, your music taste is as dull as Gordon Brown (yeah, I went there).

However, it's your opinion and mine is entirely irrelevant.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
So... you're asking us to objectively evaluate a purely subjective opinion based on our subjective opinions? Whatever is good to you is fine, it's not like your taste is bad just because people have different tastes.

...However I do like Gorillaz but I'm indifferent towards Coldplay and don't listen to the other two.

butterkniferampage

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah yeah yeah. What other people are saying. Music is entirely subjective. Unless you don't like the Beatles. Then you are simply WRONG.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Chris Kolbeck said:
i have been arguing about my taste in music with a few guys, so i have to check if i was right.
If you like the Killers, give The Cure's Disintegration album a listen. After listening to Disintegration, I can see that Brandon Flowers derived a lot of his sound on his first album from Robert Smith. I'm a Killers fan who's new to The Cure, but I've really taken a shining to Disintegration and Wish.

My favorite tracks on Disintegration are Lullaby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHQs405XcU) and Fascination Street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FISdkTWPi4g). Fascination Street, in particular, has a lot in common with the best of Hot Fuss. The sound quality on YouTube butchers the song, though. You want a high quality recording and a good pair of headphones.

Eh, I'll post a link to another: Last Dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDe15aR04iE

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
butterkniferampage said:
Yeah yeah yeah. What other people are saying. Music is entirely subjective. Unless you don't like the Beatles. Then you are simply WRONG.
Rebuttal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPqmRNjoTE

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Chris Kolbeck said:
I listen to all of those except One Republic.

Of course, I listen to MANY MANY other things as well.
My taste is pretty diverse.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Listening primarily to those bands suggests your knowledge of music is limited primarily to popular, mainstream acts. Lesser known artists and genres often have much more complexity and detail to offer in their music, which requires more effort to fully appreciate. One could read the Da Vinci Code and ask if they have good taste in literature, but Dickens would take altogether more commitment to understand and appreciate.