Is 'Needlemouse' Sonic 4?

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
galaxygamer said:
If SEGA was smart, not only would that company make a true 2D sequel similar to Sonic 3, it would also be rendered with sprites. Now, The New Super Mario Bros. was a pretty damn good game. IMHO, that game didn't have the same "magic" since it was rendered with polygons. I've been gaming since I was 9 years old, and I just love sprites. Polygons are great for 2.5D or 3D games, but they just seem redundant for true 2D games.

Just imagine a 128-bit sprite-rendered Sonic game. Just imagine the detail, the scaling, the level production. Oh I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Then again, it is SEGA. That company has fallen so far from grace they would have to buy mountain climbing gear just to get back to where they were in the 1990s.
Yup, Dimps is where it's at now.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/666/666139p1.html

Developed fully by Dimps.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
You know, Unleashed wasn't THAT bad. The daytime levels were actually really fun. Shame about the Werehog levels, though.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I actually don't think most 3D Sonic's are that bad, but I agree the series is certainly better in 2D. The only Sonic games truly worth getting these days are on the handhelds.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
You know, Unleashed wasn't THAT bad. The daytime levels were actually really fun. Shame about the Werehog levels, though.
Did you play the Wii or 360/PS3 version? Because...

tmujir955 said:
nonl33t m4st3r said:
I really hope so. Hopefully Sonic Team hasn't forgotten how to make a good 2D Sonic game.
I've lost all hope in Sonic Team. Dimps is where it's at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimps#Wii

Notice how they did only the Daytime stages for the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, and the clunkiness that were the Nighttime levels were handled by Sonic "Team".

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/938/938154p1.html

http://wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html

Notice that the PS3 version(developed fully by Sonic "Team" gets a 4.5, and the Wii version(half Dimps, half Sonic team)gets a 7.2.

Not only is Dimps good at making 3D Sonic levels, they also made the surprisingly excellent Sonic Rush games for the DS.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/666/666139p1.html

Do you see what I'm getting at?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I thought we knew it was going to be 2D and Old/New? Though the Sonic 4 part is news to me for sure...

Funnily enough though, this is pretty much one of the only Sonic game of recent years that doesn't follow the Sonic Cycle (save for maybe The Secret Rings).

PhunkyPhazon said:
And your avatar blows my mind. "What the hell is he holding in his hand?! Himself?? Whu...*faints*"

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Now as LONG as they don't put in a "zany" new gameplay concept like guns or goddamn lycanthropy we should be in the clear

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Umm www.sonicthehedgehog4.com links to sega, yes
But so does www.sonicthehedgehog3.com
and
http://www.sonicthehedgehog5.com/

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I can't help but feel like this is the game that will be the one to finally decide where Sonic stands. If it's good then we've got the long overdue comeback we've all been longing for. If it's bad then.........well, no more Sonic.....*sniff*

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Darktau said:
Umm www.sonicthehedgehog4.com links to sega, yes
But so does www.sonicthehedgehog3.com
and
http://www.sonicthehedgehog5.com/
Thats what I was thinking.

I think this is rather the case of trademark securing.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
as much as i'd hate to wait any longer for this than i have to, Sonic 4 would be a fantastic way to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary. which would be next year.
JWAN said:
I hope they make it count. But then again people would complain about it being 2D and therefor crappy.
WHAT? Who would dare complain that a 2D sonic game is crappy? Clearly people who weren't around when Sega Genesis was king and Sonic was my hero (I was seven).
Sev said:
Whatever's the case, if this bombs, I doubt there will be any more Sonic games.
A lot of people, especially younger generations who grew up with HL and Halo.
For too many people graphics/3D are everything

TheodoreLuke

Nov 30, 2009
I think they are trying to stop squatters.
Also I liked Sonic Adventure Battle 2, does that make me weird.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
JWAN said:
JWAN said:
I hope they make it count. But then again people would complain about it being 2D and therefor crappy.
WHAT? Who would dare complain that a 2D sonic game is crappy? Clearly people who weren't around when Sega Genesis was king and Sonic was my hero (I was seven).
For too many people graphics/3D are everything[/quote]

Why would they complain? They simply wouldn't play it if they aren't interested. If they do play it and honestly think it's not as good as a 3D sonic game, then we know our opinion of the 3D Sonic games was tainted by our nostalgia... but I don't think that's the case. I think there's plenty of room in the market for a modern 2D platformer based on a classic franchise - remember, no one is saying yet whether this will be a 16-bit retro money-grab or a modern (read HD/3D rendered) take on the classic Sonic formula. I personally don't think Sega would be hyping a $10 DLC like this, when they have the opportunity to issue their response to the huge success of New SMB Wii. And I don't see that game losing any money or acclaim over the fact that it's not 'Halo-quality'.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
JWAN said:
JWAN said:
For too many people graphics/3D are everything
Why would they complain? They simply wouldn't play it if they aren't interested. If they do play it and honestly think it's not as good as a 3D sonic game, then we know our opinion of the 3D Sonic games was tainted by our nostalgia... but I don't think that's the case. I think there's plenty of room in the market for a modern 2D platformer based on a classic franchise - remember, no one is saying yet whether this will be a 16-bit retro money-grab or a modern (read HD/3D rendered) take on the classic Sonic formula. I personally don't think Sega would be hyping a $10 DLC like this, when they have the opportunity to issue their response to the huge success of New SMB Wii. And I don't see that game losing any money or acclaim over the fact that it's not 'Halo-quality'.[/quote]
no such thing as "halo quality" in my book.

Ok I guess we wait and see. As I am gathering this scenario people aren't going to want to play an oldschool game unless they actually enjoyed the origionals.

So either sonic team makes an old one for the old feel
or they make a new one in 3d and pray they dont fuck it up again
(for the record Sonic Adventure 2 was one of my favorite games of all time but sonic 3 is still in the top 5)

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
So, they could be taking the Mega Man approach then? That is releasing an "old school" Sonic game, most likely on XBLA/PSN/Wiiware. Because it's not necessarily a bad idea, as Mega Man 8 was the first Mega Man game to have really good reception in a long while.

FalconOne

Jul 21, 2009
9, actually. Mega Man 8 was released waaaaay back in 1997.

On topic, it looks like Needlemouse may very well redeem the Sonic franchise in my eyes. Also, in keeping with the current praising of Dimps, Needlemouse might as well be the LAST Sonic Team-developed Sonic game, and have Dimps develop the series from now on.

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I think i can give it a chance....provided he doesn't talk and is still in the 2d style i liked him in.
Since this is a continuation of the Old Sonic games this would be a good time to also bring back Sonic's original voice, Ryan Drummond. Sonic's voice is awesome when its Ryan. Shame they sacked him for the 4Kids guy Jason Anthony Griffith to tie the new (and shit) Sonic games with the SonicX cartoon.

The original cast rocked. Example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9OmmT1hqA
[youtube]yY9OmmT1hqA[/youtube]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
nonl33t m4st3r said:
I really hope so. Hopefully Sonic Team hasn't forgotten how to make a good 2D Sonic game.
Tha would be nice...only time can tell though unfortunatly ><