Is portal hard?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
There's a couple of rooms based around time switches that I found tricky, but other than that Portal is just great game design - challenging but never frustrating, with perhaps the most finely judged difficulty curve I've ever encountered.

Portal 2, if you've played the first, is easy. Too easy really.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Well, I'm sure you're smarter than the dumb blonde bimbo that is iJustine, so I'm sure you can finish Portal.

So yeah, I'm fairly sure you can complete Portal in under six hours.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
It is challenging rather than hard, if you don't give up you will beat it. The only problems I had were in the later chambers when you need to rely on your reflexes. I had to try a couple of times to get the timing right. It is just hard enough to be rewarding IMHO. Something Portal 2 could have had a little more of.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
DJDarque said:
No_Remainders said:
... If you can't beat it in less than 5 hours, you have a problem.

A VERY BIG PROBLEM.

It shouldn't take more than 3.
That's not very nice. It took me around six. I just took my time. Not everyone is a really skilled or fast gamer, you know.
It's not about being skilled, or fast. The game is challenging, yes, and even if you take you're time, it's not hard to finish in less than 4 hours, because none of the puzzles are THAT difficult to work out, at all.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
Some of the later levels are challenging, but given that most of the game is tutorial, I would say no.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
It's not really that hard. The only one I had a problem with was the one that required me to launch upward to higher platforms, but that's only because I was using a really crappy mouse and couldn't aim worth a damn with it.

You should have no trouble.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i never finished portal because my motivation dropped to zero shortly after leaving the chambers. I have frequently been called stupid for this.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The difficulty-curve is pitch-perfect, so you'll do fine. Its not really long enough to have you go full-retard either, unlike Portal 2, in which I spent 20 minutes trying to get from one ledge to another before realising I had a fucking portal gun and could just walk over there.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
It's not hard, but some of the puzles had me scratching my head.

It took me well over 10 hours to complete the first one, but I do like to take games slowly and look around at the scenery.

OrenjiJusu

Mar 24, 2009
According to my steam account i have spent 92 minutes on portal 1. I have completed it.
I havent actually got the sequel.

X3N0N

Jan 3, 2011
As soon as you wrap your mind around the workings of portals, it's all about figuring out what technique to use and where to use it. And the lighting makes it obvious. It's not a hard game.

Muh_Balls

Jul 18, 2011
Once you figure out how the machanics work, which the game tells you how they do, its not all that hard. After doing 2-3 run thoughs, I found my self beating it with in an hour.

agrajagthetesty

Jan 29, 2010
For most people, no. I found it straightforward for the most part, although one or two levels posed a challenge during my first attempts at them. However, some people might have particular difficulties that make it much harder for them. My dyspraxic friend found it almost impossible, even though she had much more gaming experience than me.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
The puzzles are pretty short so it's not really a difficult game. There isn't much you need to work out and with a bit of logic you can solve most of the puzzles in a few minutes, the harder ones probs 10 minutes at most.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Portal is easy. The appeal of the game isn't the difficulty, it's the story (which is the best reason to play the game). Don't know if you have to be stupid to not complete the game, but if Portal gives you a challenge mentally, maybe it's time to find another hobby.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
It takes you a little while to adapt to the design style, get in the designer's head, what do they want you to do and stuff. Once you know that (10 mins tops), it's a cakewalk. It's a great game that anyone can finish, really.

Scottieburke

Apr 3, 2010
Don't worry. You'll Can't do any worse than this guy: <a href=www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqf3AxDGi10>Link.

Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqf3AxDGi10
Why the hell did it do that?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The difficulty is hmm... well made.
Or to be more precise it is perfectly gradual, 80% of the game is tutorial so they will ease you into the harder stuff with all the skills you need.