Is PS+ worth the money?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
It's worth it. Just bear in mind that you're technically renting the games on PS+ so you always have to renew your sub if you want to play the games.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I like it. I get some free games that I like - and honestly just having them offered to me sometimes calls it to my attention, even if I don't take it up every month. The online storage of saves is great if you've ever lost your PS3/4 at any point for any reason. Sure you could back your stuff up on a USB (the non-proprietary stuff anyway) but who remembers to do that before the unexpected? No one, because it's the unexpected.

Honestly, for all the yearly subscriptions there are in this world to maintain, the PS + is? pretty good value for the $$ in my opinion, even before PS4 and multiplayer access and all the rest.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Good thread OP - I don't have PS+ but have wondered about it before. It does sound like a good deal! I have a few games already from Christmas that I have yet to play but when I run out I may get in on this :D

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I guess I'm in the minority here, not a fan of FPSes (outside of TF2) and that's basically where a huge chuck of the best deals come from. It's also annoying since I don't have a vita, in which case I "lose" a week every month. I don't feel cheated since even 2-3 games could easily > $50 but I don't see myself renewing my deal when my current one expires in a few months.

vkola

Jul 12, 2011
It is worth it yes. And even if you don't have room on your harddrive for each of them, you can still start the download, cancel it and it stays as purchased meaning you can download it on a later date if the offer has expired, when you have made more room on the harddrive.
I have some games to finish and uninstall before I can try BioShock: Infinite and some other games.

And it's great if you have a Ps3 and Ps4, since you share the PS+ on both machines :)

Rhythm

Sep 17, 2008
As someone that's thinking of going from a 360 to a PS4, the vibe i'm getting from this thread would imply that PS+ is AMAZING for the PS3 but not really worth it for the PS4 (for the time being) would that be correct?

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Rhythm said:
As someone that's thinking of going from a 360 to a PS4, the vibe i'm getting from this thread would imply that PS+ is AMAZING for the PS3 but not really worth it for the PS4 (for the time being) would that be correct?
Hmm, you're right in some ways. Because the PS3 has such a wide library of games (especially PS1 & PS2 Classics, indie, or digital only games), you're always guaranteed to get something at least worth your time, and this even applies to the Vita. Since PS4 has only just come out and obviously the library is pretty scarce at the moment, its going to be some time before you see any of the games offered for free.

However, Plus is giving away many indie games to play on the PS4 throughout the whole year. Whether you play or like these games will obviously vary from person to person, but at the very least they can entertain you until something bigger comes along like Infamous Second Son or something. Besides, you are going to need to have Plus to play online multiplayer anyway(although for some games like MMOs it isn't required, especially if they are free-to-play).

And while I don't have a PS4 yet (waiting for the inevitable price drop and redesigned version), I don't think the online store is the same as the PS3, meaning you couldn't download some of the free PS3 games from Plus. I'm not entirely sure, so hopefully someone can elaborate on that part. If that is the case though, perhaps getting a cheap PS3 is the better option? If so, and you get Plus, you can always "download" the PS4 games from the Sony website, thus registering that you got the game. That way once you eventually get PS4, you can just download all of the games that have come out for it since then.

Hope that was helpful!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Weaver said:
I'd love to tell you Sony is fucking everyone over with it, but ... I've been pleased with my purchase. I really do think it's worth the money provided they keep delivering worthwhile content. So far, they more or less have.
This.

To date, PS+ has been awesome. I worry about their PS4 selection though -- PS+ had to offer good titles for PS3/PSP/PSVita because they needed to entice people to sub, but with the PS4 they now mandate a sub for multiplayer, so they migth slack off on that some.

One thing that I didn't see as far as I'd read is this: The free games require you to have an active PS+ sub to play them, but anything else doesn't. So free avatars, themes, the rare bit of free to PS+ DLC, and anything under a discount rather than free will work even without an active PS+ sub.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I'd say its worth it, as long as your taste in games is quite diverse, its introduced me to great games i would never have tried otherwise such as Guacamelee

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So if I let my PS+ lapse, then get it again, my previously rented games are gone? Seems possible.

I'm using the same account on a PS3 and Vita, so I'll start looking to see what I can get for them. I think I'm gonna need me a 64 Gig Vita memory card. I put a 500 Gig in the PS3, so I should be fine there.

How about online play? I hardly ever use it, but want to know if I need this for online play. Thanks.

From their homepage:

Membership Includes:
Access to free hit games, with new free games added every month
Online Multiplayer on the PS4? system
Exclusive discounts of up to 75% on the PlayStation®Store
Up to 3GB of online game save storage
One membership works across PS4?, PS3? and PS Vita systems

http://us.playstation.com/playstation-plus/

EDT: WOW. I hope that, download, cancel so you can save for later works. I just got a bunch of stuff for the Vita I am roomless for. Gotta buy more storage ASAP. Gravit Rush alone is something I'm dying to play.

I have 2 PS3s. I've never tried to use the same account on 2. If it's like Steam, I should be able to do so, as long as I don't try to access the same account at the same time on the two of them. I'll give it a try ASAP.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Gorfias said:
So if I let my PS+ lapse, then get it again, my previously rented games are gone? Seems possible.
Pretty sure if you quit, and then signed up again with the same account later you get access to all your previously "bought" games again.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
I recently got $30 worth of PSN money from a friend and there's nothing on the store that interests me much, so I was thinking of getting PS Plus. However I'd like to know if people who tried it before feel its worth it.
I don't understand. If there's nothing on the PSN store that interests you, then why would you get PS Plus?

That being said, the money I've saved from being able to purchase games at the PS Plus sale price rather than the regular sale price has more than made up for the cost of the subscription.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Tiamattt said:
Gorfias said:
Pretty sure if you quit, and then signed up again with the same account later you get access to all your previously "bought" games again.
I'm pretty sure that's how Steam works, so, makes sense that it would work this way for PSN +

JonnyHG said:
I don't understand. If there's nothing on the PSN store that interests you, then why would you get PS Plus?

That being said, the money I've saved from being able to purchase games at the PS Plus sale price rather than the regular sale price has more than made up for the cost of the subscription.
It does include more than free games. From their website:

Membership Includes:

I'm downloading a number of games I already bought, played, and deleted to make room on my PC to my PS3 for free. I don't need 'em, but I figure my kids might play. I'll have fun looking at the PS3 version anyway.

To be honest, for one, Bioshock Infinite, I do want to mess around with again. I've never seen a game mechanic like that roller coaster thing. Maybe that guy with the bionic arm was close? The game was supposed to be awful though. B.I. is great.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I subscribed to it for 3 months, for which I waited for a game to come out for free that I would like, it didn't happen and I realized I gave them basically a lot of money for nothing.

It's worth it if they're offering games you like, if not, then don't do it. Don't do it expecting "oh but it'll be worth it if they ever release something I'll want for free!" because you'll end up giving them more money than if you just bought what you wanted.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Hm, I bought three months right now after seeing this thread, but I can't find Shadow of the Colossus in my list. Is the games you get each month random, or what?
That was the one game I didn't already have/was intrested in. >.<

Edit: Found that you could download the games from the Sony store on the PC(somehow), however every time I hit the download or join now link I get to an error page. "Page not found - It's not you. It's the internet's fault." x.x

Edit edit: Figured what the issue was. I was looking at the US PSN+ list. The EU one featured the same games, only that the US one has seven more games...

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Gorfias said:

Membership Includes:
If nothing on PSN appeals to him, why does any of that matter?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
JonnyHG said:
Gorfias said:

Membership Includes:
If nothing on PSN appeals to him, why does any of that matter?
I thought he was just saying none of the free stuff appeals to him. Wrong?

There may be nothing there, but he may still want to play something not there online on a PS4, use the 3 GB cloud game saves, discounts on future purchases he might want.

DanielBrown said:
Hm, I bought three months right now after seeing this thread, but I can't find Shadow of the Colossus in my list. Is the games you get each month random, or what?
That was the one game I didn't already have/was intrested in. >.<

Edit: Found that you could download the games from the Sony store on the PC(somehow), however every time I hit the download or join now link I get to an error page. "Page not found - It's not you. It's the internet's fault." x.x
Yeah, running into some flukes.

I don't think Shadow is available at this time. It changes up month to month. Supposedly, if you get during a month you have +, it is yours forever, as long as you have membership. At $50 a year, not bad.

Today I was able to download Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light onto a PS3. Less than a year ago, those were $60 apiece games. I'd be more excited but I already had them on PC. Still, my kids will get to play these now and I'll have the fun of trying it on console rather than PC.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Gorfias said:
I thought he was just saying none of the free stuff appeals to him. Wrong?

There may be nothing there, but he may still want to play something not there online on a PS4, use the 3 GB cloud game saves, discounts on future purchases he might want.
He said nothing on the store interests him so he was thinking of getting PS Plus. It just sounded strange to me.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Gorfias said:
Yeah, running into some flukes.

I don't think Shadow is available at this time. It changes up month to month. Supposedly, if you get during a month you have +, it is yours forever, as long as you have membership. At $50 a year, not bad.

Today I was able to download Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light onto a PS3. Less than a year ago, those were $60 apiece games. I'd be more excited but I already had them on PC. Still, my kids will get to play these now and I'll have the fun of trying it on console rather than PC.
It's only avalible in the US, but aye, it's definetly still worth it. Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite will bring me some fun, eventhough I've already played them, so the money I spent for the three months has technically already paid off. Was just really intrested in trying SotC since I hear so much about it. The HD Remaster box came out after I quit bothering buying games for the PS3 and returned to PC gaming due to all the bundles. :p