Is punishing a kid consider abuse?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
If you beat your kids, then you are a scum of the earth nothing
I agree.

Good thing that spanking and beating are two totally different things.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SurfinTaxt said:
Volf99 said:
maybe your parents didn't properly apply spanking, but mine did and I don't hate them for it, nor do I have such a emotional motivated hatred of it like you seem to have.
What do you call a 200 lb man who hits his defenseless 50 lb kid?
Yep, a coward. Now a 200lb man that disciplines his kid by spanking is a normal parent.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Volf99 said:
more or less those are the reasons why I don't consider it abuse. Only addition I would make is that I was spanked as a child and looking back at it I don't think it was abusive behavior.
You didn't answer my first question: if US laws changed, would your opinion of spanking change?

Volf99 said:
SurfinTaxt said:
What do you call a 200 lb man who hits his defenseless 50 lb kid?
Yep, a coward. Now a 200lb man that disciplines his kid by spanking is a normal parent.
Are you claiming that spanking is not hitting, or that kids being spanked are not defenseless?

iTwitch

Sep 2, 2009
why are people constantly confusing punishment with abuse in this thread? It was clearly stated in the title. Tough love is the way forward

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
I'm going to assume a few things here.

1. Most of those "oh, it's abuse!" folks, aren't parents themselves. For the record, I'm not either.

2. These same folks are assuming a spank is the first method of discipline.

On 1, fuck off.

On 2, take my word, it isn't - it's often the last, when all others have failed.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Hell no.

I really have little else to say on the matter. I even take the view that if making your child sit gingerly for a few days from a paddled arse if the most effective way to let your displeasure at their stupidity or selfishness be known then thats what you should do.

Its parenting 101 imo. If a child proves they cannot be mature and responsible with an item you have gifted, you take it away. If she had dared give that speech to her actual parents, she would have seen immediate consequences. She is learning a very important life lesson, never say or do ANYTHING that ultimately you are not prepared to do in full public view. Cos IRL, this is what really happens. Time to grow up.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
SurfinTaxt said:
Monkeyman O said:
SurfinTaxt said:
what about people who beat kids for inconsistent things? What about people who hit their kids for no good reason at all? There are other ways to get through to them, hitting them is just primitive. People who beat their kids are just cavemen
What the fuck? What was the point of that comment?
That comment was on the same lines as someone saying sex between two consenting adults is fine then you coming in and asking "Well what about rape or paedophiles?"
See, maybe if your parents had hit you a little more you would stop and think about what you are saying.
I was hit plenty as a kid, and Its kept me from ever really developing a close bond with my parents. Its just not right, in fact its fucking cowardly, hitting a tiny defenseless human being just so you can feel more powerful. If you beat your kids, then you are a scum of the earth nothing
Who's talking about beating kids?

This is about discipline using corporal punishment. When I swore as a child in front of my parents, I recieved a clip round the ear.

A short, sharp, simple, and effective punishment that taught me not to swear in their earshot.

They could have done all sorts of other things - grounded me, taken away toys, etc. etc. (And for various other things I did out of line with being a decent human being, they did), but for the sake of swearing at a video game or rugby match on TV, why would they need to?

You've taken the idea of corporal punishment delivered in a fair, reasonable, safe and consistent manner (consistent as in, fitting the crime, rather than consistently getting hit, I think I got two clips round the ear for swearing and have never sworn in front of them since)... And you've changed it to "Alcoholic dad beating the shit out of his young for no reason".

Fuck you, and your straw-man argument.

For what it's worth, I think 99% of the time, there's no need to hit children. Ever. But that 1% of the time, parents should not fear the law for merely enforcing discipline.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Reasonable parenting = suitable punishments/ deserved rewards

Bad parenting = No punishment / crazy absurd punishments / undeserved rewards (i.e you got 4 D's and 3 C's in your GCSES? here have £100 then)

Punishment teaches kids what is wrong, and what is right, if they don't know this they grow up learning that they can do what they like .... this is wrong!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
MasochisticAvenger said:
So, I've been following another thread wherein the original poster argued that Tommy Jordan, the man who shot up his daughter's laptop, is abusing his daughter. Disturbingly, I found that some people had the opinion punishing a child for doing something wrong is considered a form of abuse. Some even going as far as suggesting punishing a child for doing something wrong should be considered on the same level as beating a wife.

So, Escapist, do you think punishing a child is, or should be, considered abuse?

Well, I think taking a revolver to a laptop as a form of punishment, while crazy is not abuse... taking the laptop away........perfectly logical..... children need to learn that there are consequences for their actions, rewards for doing good things punishments for doing bad things.... study hard get A on test...... take kid out to dinner, decide to steal from parent's wallet.....grounded and banned from TV/phone and PC ( excluding homework) for a month. Why so long? because in the real world it means jail time, and the kid needs it firmly planted in their head that certain things have harsh punishments.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
SurfinTaxt said:
Monkeyman O said:
SurfinTaxt said:
what about people who beat kids for inconsistent things? What about people who hit their kids for no good reason at all? There are other ways to get through to them, hitting them is just primitive. People who beat their kids are just cavemen
What the fuck? What was the point of that comment?
That comment was on the same lines as someone saying sex between two consenting adults is fine then you coming in and asking "Well what about rape or paedophiles?"
See, maybe if your parents had hit you a little more you would stop and think about what you are saying.
I was hit plenty as a kid, and Its kept me from ever really developing a close bond with my parents. Its just not right, in fact its fucking cowardly, hitting a tiny defenseless human being just so you can feel more powerful. If you beat your kids, then you are a scum of the earth nothing
Well, to an extent it is a generational thing.... My dad had the tar beaten out of him as a child, but in the 50's that was acceptable.... On the other hand neither he not my mother ever laid a hand on me ( in an agressive fashion) and I'd say I turned out okay. ( but so did my dad) and I have met my grandparents, they are not bad people, it is just a matter of what was acceptable then vs what is acceptable now.

Now, when I have kids, I know that I will adopt my parents method of punishment, time outs and privilege removal, but of course there needs to be positive reinforcement too, as I said in my earlier post.... kid gets an A on a test take em out to their favorite restaurant.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I don't think physical punishment works very well. when u hit your kid, they fear your hand, not the action. When you can;t hit anymore, they go right back to the action.

It just makes sense

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
A punishment is not abusing the child, it's merely taking away something they were given (by the parent mostly) like a right or object. The child doesn't need that to survive, it merely wants to use said object. However beating a kid is considered abuse, but a slap to the head is a great tool for parents, and should be allowed. Or a good old fashioned butt-spanking. It's a shame people get so butthurt :)D ) about that, when they were most likely raised to fear them, and thereby learned how to behave.
Some of the little brats scurrying around need to be disciplined. If I hear one more 9-year old call me a motherf*cker or similar, I'm going to stare him into tears. And then I'll slap him perhaps. Ahhh slapping. Seriously, we knew how to behave when we were twelve compared to the little pricks walking around today. And our -semi- generation was already considered badly behaved. *sigh* A lot has changed in the 5 years since I was twelve.

also, a lot of people say that hitting a child is bad, I am basically a kid myself too, but I think different. I was slapped and spanked quite often when I was younger, and it taught me where lines lay. I was disallowed from the pc or consoles when I was slightly bad, but when I had done something really bad, I'd pay. It was a great way to keep in line, because I feared getting hit. A punishment these days is basically shit, You can sneak past them easily. No pc? I-Phone4! A risk of getting slapped is something you'll really consider.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
I feel that many of the baby boomer generation came in thinking that you can spoil the kid and they will learn to not be a menace in time... This became more so with the generation after and has been making each new generation seem more roudy, rude, disrespectful, and think the world owes them everything... This is my perspective as the generation after the baby boomer generation. It seem to be ok to dress like a bum or paint yourself more as a sex object... I feel children need more discipline and parents need to be more involved in a childs development. I don't agree with a person that hits a child in the face or uses a belt, but spanking them on the knee or the fear of being publicly humilated can humble a child and make them think before acting like a fool. Becoming physical should be a last resort, but it should not be considered abuse if it is their own parent doing it and it is to scare the child straight and not to cause harm.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Electro Dave said:
No it's not abuse to give them a smacked bottom once in a while if you have exhausted all other alternatives.

But there is obviously a fine line between slapping their bum as a form of discipline and out right abuse.
The way I see it, it should be used as a last resort for the unruly.
Someone didn't read the original post and just responded based on an assumption of the thread's topic.

SOMEONE'S FACE SHOULD BE MIGHTY RED RIGHT ABOUT NOW.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
God no.

Is punishing anything for doing something wrong abuse? My parents raised four kids up who all turned out to be decent members of society and without any issues. They used to punish us when we were doing things we shouldn't have, thing's that we repeated after being told not to.

There is always the case of "a child doesn't know any better" which for the most part is ok the first time a child does something, like if they get a book and rip it up. They didn't know not to do that. They get told it's wrong. They do it again, punishment time.

That father shooting up his daughters laptop, I think it's a good punishment. She sounds like many of this worlds first world problem teens. Too much belief in self entitlement and not enough get up and go attitude. Thanks MTV, for showing kids the lives of the spoiled brats of the mega-rich.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
nope. I was punished for a lot of things and I deserved it :D I actually think that I wasn't punished enough. Usually it was a whipping or a spanking