Is Reddit Under Secret Surveillance by the Government?

LJ Ellis

Mar 3, 2016
Is Reddit Under Secret Surveillance by the Government?

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1307/1307089.jpg

Something is going on at Reddit. What's happening exactly, we may never know.

At the end of their 2014 transparency report, Reddit wrote this [https://www.reddit.com/wiki/transparency/2014]: "As of January 29, 2015, reddit has never received a National Security Letter, an order under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or any other classified request for user information. If we ever receive such a request, we would seek to let the public know it existed."

However, that statement was missing from their 2015 transparency report that was posted on Thursday [https://www.reddit.com/wiki/transparency/2015].

The statement from 2014 is known as a "warrant canary" and was used as a signal to Reddit users. As long as that "canary" appeared, it meant that Reddit wasn't under any type of secret surveillance. However, now that it's gone, it means things have changed.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman all but confirmed the speculation by refusing to talk [https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/4cqyia/for_your_reading_pleasure_our_2015_transparency/] about it.

Said a Reddit user: "That's the entire point of the canary, he isn't allowed to say anything about it, the fact it was removed means that a gag order has been issued. 100% final, no discussion."

Responded Huffman: "I've been advised not to say anything one way or the other."

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ah Reddit, the hotbed of terrorist activity.

But seriously why would the government need a warrant? aren't all Reddit threads open to the public? If they wanted to watch what people are saying they could just read it like anyone else.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
But reading it would involve work. The gov doesn't operate that way - they need to create a complicated program that watches for key words and phrases. Something like simply reading the forums would be very time consuming and labor intensive. With that in mind, I say "Hello NSA"
bomb
dirtybomb
allah
muhammad
jihad
nuclear
hezbollah
ammonium nitrate

What do these words have in common? They're all words I've never used in complete sentences.
Big Brother is watching, you're welcome.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Eric the Orange said:

But seriously why would the government need a warrant? aren't all Reddit threads open to the public? If they wanted to watch what people are saying they could just read it like anyone else.
There is such a thing as a private subreddit as well as PMs.

VirOath

Jan 16, 2009
Let's wait until after April 1st to see if this is still up. April 1st is the worst day to publish legitimate news.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Oh no!!! The government will learn of my viewings of funny gifs from infomercials and Jurassic World strats... You monsters! You'll be finally be able to take down the infamous Elfgore!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
VirOath said:
Let's wait until after April 1st to see if this is still up. April 1st is the worst day to publish legitimate news.
Ah yes, I can see it now. Obama speaks on international television: "it was just a prank, bro."

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Eric the Orange said:

Ah yes, but now they can read reddit while at work and claim they're not slacking off. Ingenious really, they could spend all day on the Titty Drop subreddit and claim they're doing 'research'.

'Sir, I must observe each of these titty drops closely, just in case they're dropping terrorist plans or bomb threats."
"Excellent work Johnson. I want a... detailed report on my desk tomorrow. Tell me everything about the titty drops. Everything."

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
At this point, the bigger story would be what the government ISN'T snooping on. Let's face it folks, the Fourth Amendment is dead and buried by now.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
...I thought the Internet came about in order to make a legally neutral territory,that no government can muck with? Someone needs to tell the Alphabet Agencies that they're out of their jurisdiction.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I Would imagine all elements of social media are being monitored in some capacity or other. both blatantly and secretly.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Eric the Orange said:

The way I read it (heh) is that they're trying to find information about users. Plus, without knowing the inner workings of said hive of scum and villainy, I'd imagine there's a private messaging system or something akin to that.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I don't know much about reddit, but if this is how it actually happened, it's quite a clever system. Huffman gets to say what he wants to without technically breaking the gag order and thereby the law.

I mean, it's quite sad that he HAS to set something like this up just to tell his users if they're being monitored, which it seems like they should have a right to know one way or another. But at least he gets to keep himself out of prison.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If I ever become important enough for people to interview me, I'm gonna just be like "I cannot confirm nor deny" random obvious things, that way when its real, people will not immediately think the bad thing. Do you prefer Coke or Pepsi? "I cannot confirm nor deny which I prefer" *slowly sips Coke*

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh crap, best delete all those terrorist recruiting threads i made. And my terrorist sympathising user profile. And my terrorist bomb ingredients list. Oh and that star-gazing cat one too, just in case they connect it to feline sympathetic towards potentially hostile alien races. Cheers for the heads up. ...And screw you, US government! I'm outta your jurisdiction! *Smugly devours terrorist pasty*

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Remus said:
What do these words have in common? They're all words I've never used in complete sentences.
Big Brother is watching, you're welcome.
The search engine has been upgraded. It only flags results when those words are used in conjunction with other keywords, in coherent sentences. The NSA was apparently tired of getting trolled by keyword lists.

OT: Why Reddit? Why not 4chan. Now there's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Perhaps it's the one place on the Internet that even the terrorists are afraid of going to?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Hello NSA.
In other news, the sky is blue.
No but really, in other news so is every imageboard.

Adding that is you express anything remotely close to a libertarian opinion, or even that of a right wing, you're terror watchlist material.

VirOath said:
Bertinan said:
Pay attention to the date people.
The transparency report was posted before this date.