Is Skyrim Multiplayer possible?

Fried_beans

Sep 14, 2009
I know there are other threads on whether Skyrim multiplayer is good or not(I think it's a fantastic idea, but that's neither here nor there) I am just wondering if it is possible.

I know that there are plenty of problems and the story would have to be heavily tweaked for it to work but I think it is completely worth it. Skyrim is an amazing game but I can't even fathom how spectacular it would be with my friend along my side. I wouldn't even need the story to change or have any explanation for their character being there I just would love multiplayer.

This subject isn't about whether or not it would be wise to add multiplayer but whether or not it's possible. I know that programming is hard and it would be no small task to add this but I would actually pay shitloads of extra money(50$ max. I'm not a goldmine) to have this implemented. I doubt it would be possible in a patch but if it is let me know. I want to know what you think on this and if you have any background in games how hard it would be and if the company would want to do it.

DO NOT TROLL. I don't want people saying "Skyrim's good enough" or "That would be a huge pain". I know these things. I love Skyrim minus multiplayer and I know that it would be a mountain of a task.

By the way when I say multiplayer I mean you and up to four others(just co-op would be enough though)

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
It would be nice this is 2011 after all. I wish they would go the halo ce route MP or not the games still treated as single player that way you don't have to adjust crap. Give host the "main" and just treat the others as companions. It honestly shouldn't be too hard to add in.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Thank god there is nomultiplayer. I really cant fathom the desire for such.

EDIT: if you want it, more power to you, but multiplayer in what has always been a single player, narrative driven affair it really doesnt make a lot of sense to add multiplayer, and we have already had too many games with illogical, senseless multiplayer tacked on

FaustianBargain

Jan 18, 2011
With the mod community around Bethesda games there's a very real potential PC Skyrim players to see limited multiplayer (though I have no idea what kind of technical limitations there are). I'd love to be able to invite a friend or two into a game and go dragon hunting, though a highly structured multiplayer like were going to get in ME3 I do not want for Skyrim.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
viranimus said:
Dungeon-delving with your friends? Only one of you having to take up armorsmithing to make all the armors you need? Hunting dragons together?

That's just off the top of my head.

OT: Is it POSSIBLE? Sure. I bet if the Skyrim team worked on it they could have something playable in a couple of months. Modders? That'd be released around the time Elder Scrolls 6 comes out, if they get crackin'. Unless of course there's already some multiplayer framework Bethesda left in, but I doubt it.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Hm, yeah it would be the purest awesome. I do not think we are alone at all in thinking this, cause my friends and I too frequently marvel at the idea of coop Skyrim (used to be Oblivion we wanted coop =P). All I would need is the ability to get connected to 1 (just one) of my friends and I'd be in heaven.

It IS possible I believe, a guy did it with Oblivion successfully so why should it not be possible with a game that is no less moddable? That mod for Oblivion hasn't been available for a long time though, seems the guy that made it just went under ground and the download links do not work so... It's sad really, cause the idea of braving dungeons with a friend by your side just blows me away!

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Possible? Probably.
A good idea? Probably not. The story would lose a bit of its coherence if you added a few extra Dovahkiin gallivanting around Skyrim getting killed by giants and stealing peoples laundry.

Maybe as some kind of separate mode where you could gather with some mates and co-op delve through dungeons, eventually being able to take on bigger ones full of tougher monsters as you gather up gear and build your skills. That actually sounds pretty kicking rad, I'd pay money for that if that was a DLC.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
That's why I feel that an Elder Scrolls psuedo-MMO would be amazing. Give it the gameplay of Skyrim- exact but for maybe a couple tweaks- expand the world to every region of Tamriel, and then have multiple players.

Or maybe a world that big with dedicated servers for a specific amount of players. Don't want to crowd it up too much. Plus, it'd be cooler to be playing and then suddenly and unexpectedly come across another player, rather than to know "well, someone is bound to be around here".

Or just co-op like you said. Invite a player to be a companion.

Not gonna lie, I love the idea more than I love most multiplayer ideas. I just imagine starting a massive blacksmithing business with some friends, going out hunting, tackling caves and dungeons.

If Skyrim had that, I feel like it'd be over a decade before it could be matched by another game (though it already looks like it'll take a very long time).

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I remember seeing an Oblivion multiplayer mod, so I would say it is possible. I'd just like the ability to have a friend control a companion or something, explore the wilderness together. On launch night, my friend came over to my house after we both got it and we played side-by-side, me on PC and him on my 360, and it was a lot of fun. I think it would be even more fun to both be in the world together.

waive

Sep 12, 2010
Bethesda won't do multiplayer, but it is possible with modding.

The reason its a little shaky though is because Modders did it with Morrowind before to.

It was insanely lagy, glitchy, and didn't work very well, after months of work from several different modders.

So if the engine to do so is improved for skyrim, we may see it eventually.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
MisterShine said:
viranimus said:
Dungeon-delving with your friends? Only one of you having to take up armorsmithing to make all the armors you need? Hunting dragons together?

That's just off the top of my head.

OT: Is it POSSIBLE? Sure. I bet if the Skyrim team worked on it they could have something playable in a couple of months. Modders? That'd be released around the time Elder Scrolls 6 comes out, if they get crackin'. Unless of course there's already some multiplayer framework Bethesda left in, but I doubt it.
Riiight, but what exactly is the purpose of playing a game if you let someone else do half the work for you? Where is the sense of satisfaction in knowing your every accomplishment is shared with someone else? What is the point of even playing a game like Skyrim if the role your playing is diminished from being the all powerful dragon born salvation/damnation of the world, to what amounts to the equivalent of a zerg rush. Much as I stated.. I sincerely dont get the allure personally, but then again, I am not a ME, which might well be the dividing line.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
hmmm I think I'll be on the minority on this, but I think Skyrim is better off single player. Maybe it's because I'll lose my sense of immersion and roleplay when playing with another person. Or maybe because I'm just biased on the idea of playing alone lol. :D

If they really are gonna add a multiplayer though, it would be better if it would be purely PvE in style. PvP imo will totally destroy my gameplay xD.

EDIT: Now relating to the topic, it IS possible but based on theory this multiplayer would be unplayable. Their engine is not really optimized for a lag-free experience.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
I could definitely see an MMO possibility if they included the entire world...

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
It could be possible if they went along the lines of the Fable 3 multiplayer. It may be possible with mods in the future but I really enjoy playing it by myself anyway.

Woo, 1000th post!

Dec 14, 2009
No thanks, keep your multiplayer out of my epic RPGs.

Skyrim is my solitary haven, to be explored alone. Much like a good book.

Hell, I'm reluctant to even take companions along with me, let alone another player.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Would it be possible? Of course. I see no reason for it not to be.

Would it be a good idea? Probably not.

I don't really think it would be TOO hard to add a second player into this. Hell, when coding you are supposed to make your program easily editable in case something like this happens mid development cycle and you're asked to add another player in. There would be a lot of work involved in it, but I don't think it would be hard work. The hardest part would probably be getting the servers and such in place for the people wanting to play multiplayer.
Its not exactly a good idea though as Skyrim is a single player open world RPG, and that is what it is marketed as. Look at the reactions to Mass Effect Multiplayer. Some people thought 'It could be alright', but a lot of people raged that multiplayer was being added, taking away time and money from the core game. I'd imagine much the same would happen here, not to mention the extra balancing that would need to be done to make multiplayer fair (Or Bethesda equivalent of fair. Sneak items and potions at level 5 anyone?), the servers that would need to be put into place for it, and all the money that they would need to poor into it, for I'd estimate half or more of the fanbase to completely ignore it, and not even buy it if it was put up for sale. I know a number of people would like it, but a lot of people also would feel it detracting from their experience. As such, I don't think Bethesda is likely to do it, though it would likely be possible to add through a patch.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Anythings possible... with the PC version.

That doesn't necessarily make coop a good idea tho.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Just make the second character non-existant (like in the Fable games).

I understand the reasons why Skyrim (and other games in the series) aren't multiplayer, but it seems like it would be much better with an optional Multiplayer function which would allow me and my friend to travel the countryside together slaying whatever crosses our path.