Is South Park getting weird...er?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
PsychicTaco115 said:
So yeah, that new episode took things in a different direction
Not really, it's just building up what they've been doing all season. It is really good though.

MarsAtlas said:
They're still equal opportunity offenders.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Johnisback said:
I think the point that you're missing, the one that MarsAtlas is trying to make here, is that "the funniest joke" is decided by what the creators think is funniest, not what everyone in the whole world thinks is funniest. That's a subjective thing, it depends on what Matt and Trey think are the funniest jokes to put in the show, that subjective state is colored by their experiences and values. Noting more nothing less.

For example, this seasons they're leaning hard on using Caitlyn Jenner for the "ugly tranny" joke, which some people find hilarious. Ask any group of trans folk, and you'll find that we say; the stereotypes it uses to be complete myths, that the joke it self is totally unfunny and insulting, plus each time it's redone it just gets more tired, unfunny, and insulting. It's like the typical gay joke, it's tries to rely on "it's funny because it's true", when it's in fact neither funny, or true. That's the kind of thing that makes jokes subjective. They depend on experience, values, and really how common the joke is. A lot of jokes are specifically funny because they're based on untrue stereotypes, but it takes time for the targeted group to get over said jokes, so that said jokes can become funny to them too. I.E. When the majority of the general public stops believing that a particular stereotype is actually true.

Still no joke is universally funny, because it's subjective. Arguing against subjective tastes is an exercise in futility.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Du Svardenvyrd said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Johnisback said:
I think the point that you're missing, the one that MarsAtlas is trying to make here, is that "the funniest joke" is decided by what the creators think is funniest, not what everyone in the whole world thinks is funniest.
Actually no, they're making a tv show for a mass audience, not a private viewing for their buddies. Presumably they stick with characters and themes that have made them tens of millions, with a relatively conservative pace of fundamental change. It took them a long time just to move on from mostly scatological humor.

But yeah, sure, nitpick comedy because for 22 minutes a week they don't check all of the boxes you want.
Actually yes, they're making a TV show, which happens to be filled with jokes they find funny. I find most of their jokes funny, but some miss the mark, most people are like that. Saying anything else is possible is particularly ludicrous, because not everyone finds every joke funny. They have mass market appeal, that's because they have an audience for their humor, that doesn't mean they always hit the mark. Still they even said in their documentary of making an episode of South Park that the jokes they pick are the ones that they find funny! A lot of other people find those jokes funny too, that doesn't mean that some of their jokes aren't off color, insulting, or just plain miss the mark. Sometimes to a lot of people.

Also part of criticizing something is nitpicking, because there are bound to be things that someone dislikes in any thing. A critique, or in this case a nitpick about something I don't like that they did, does not mean that I hate South Park, in fact it's basically my favorite comedy series. That doesn't mean I can't say that; I think the over used "ugly tranny" joke they've been using this season is played out, stupid, untrue, and insulting. It also doesn't mean that I can't say that I feel that season feels really phoned in, that it feels like Matt and Trey are basically over South Park and want to move on to something new, or possibly retire. Because I feel that both are true, if you disagree that's fine, because these feelings are subjective. Just like humor is.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
Du Svardenvyrd said:
Johnisback said:
I think the point that you're missing, the one that MarsAtlas is trying to make here, is that "the funniest joke" is decided by what the creators think is funniest, not what everyone in the whole world thinks is funniest.
Actually no, they're making a tv show for a mass audience, not a private viewing for their buddies. Presumably they stick with characters and themes that have made them tens of millions, with a relatively conservative pace of fundamental change. It took them a long time just to move on from mostly scatological humor.

But yeah, sure, nitpick comedy because for 22 minutes a week they don't check all of the boxes you want.
I find it amazing that there are people on the social medias who get bent out of shape because a comedian or a sitcom did something they didn't like or didn't find funny. You just want to say to them "Get over yourself." The comedian or show is successful, despite of not appealing to your sense of humor, but those people want to say to the people supporting it "This is problematic and let me tell you why" as if your explanation will somehow undo the subtle workings of what comedy is, what elicits a kneejerk laugh from others. I guess it falls in line with the thought process of Original Sin.

"If you laugh at this problematic thing, you are clearly sinful, allow me to cleanse your sin and your mind as I read from my good book" seems to be the order of the day for these Twitter warriors.

Never mind the fact that, in this particular instance, this season has been heralded as a resurgence of the shows appeal (for some inexplicable reason, right?)

In honor of those social media Twitter getting bent out of shape about the South Park season, I shall dig out my old Bill Cosby CDs and have a laugh to fill the void they left.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Mazinger-Z said:
I find it amazing that there are people on the social medias who get bent out of shape because a comedian or a sitcom did something they didn't like or didn't find funny. You just want to say to them "Get over yourself." The comedian or show is successful, despite of not appealing to your sense of humor, but those people want to say to the people supporting it "This is problematic and let me tell you why" as if your explanation will somehow undo the subtle workings of what comedy is, what elicits a kneejerk laugh from others. I guess it falls in line with the thought process of Original Sin.

"If you laugh at this problematic thing, you are clearly sinful, allow me to cleanse your sin and your mind as I read from my good book" seems to be the order of the day for these Twitter warriors.

Never mind the fact that, in this particular instance, this season has been heralded as a resurgence of the shows appeal (for some inexplicable reason, right?)

In honor of those social media Twitter getting bent out of shape about the South Park season, I shall dig out my old Bill Cosby CDs and have a laugh to fill the void they left.
The point that should be made here is one can disagree, or even hate a specific joke, without hating the comedian, or comedy show said joke came from. The "I'm offended." "Well get over your self." kinda falls flat when comedy takes potshots at already maligned groups consistently to alienate said group further. That's a valid criticism. Because not all jokes are good natured and not all jokes are harmless. At any rate Matt and Trey are big boys, if what was being said here upset them they could hop on and defend themselves, but as stated before, they're big boys and they can handle criticism.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Zontar said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
I know, isn't it great? It was a pretty good opening for this season's trilogy finale.

Wow, now that was an interesting episode.

I thought Cartman was going to start the PC downfall but way to go Jimmy.

But it is going to be one crazy ride this season.

LOL.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
PsychicTaco115 said:
Definitely not where I expected them to go with it, I am glad they brought back principal Vicotria, I was worried they were just going to write her out of the show like mrs. Crabtree or chokesondick. I'm also happy with how they used Jimmy, in a season focusing on PC, it would be criminal to underutilize a funny character like him. No clue where they are going with the whole ad thing though.

The season itself has been alright so far, the new focus on continuity brings them ever closer to their own criticism of disappearing up their ass with their own messages, but something needed to be done to shake up the formula in a show that's been running for over a decade. I'm still not sure how I feel about the show seeming to ignore the main 4 kid characters in favor of the adults, mainly randy, who feels more and more like an author pet character and is starting to feel overused.

There's a couple of running gags this season that are wearing a little thin too, the Kaitlin Jenner running people over in her car bit was funny the first time, now it seems like they are using that bit every time she comes on screen, unless they subvert it in an upcoming episode, it feels like wasted air time, although garrison as a Trump knockoff is at least being used to entertaining effect.

Still, the ninja, yaoi, and Yelp episodes are my favorite this season, the safe space episode was a little preachy, but the end with the speech and having poor African kids clear out negative internet comments for Americans was a funny finish. PC principal has his moments, and the revelation from last episode could help him be more than just a one dimensional joke character; I'm starting to like him more than randy this season, who seems to be getting flanderized to the point of being annoyingly stupid rather than entertainingly stupid. I also hope the no speech rule for Kyle gets a satisfying payoff, he tends to get used as an author mouthpiece at times, but I'm hoping there's some kind of blowup from him by the finale, he deserves it after getting kind of sidelined by all the other characters this season, Kenny too for all the shit he's been through, I have a feeling SoDaSoPa is going to get wrecked by the finale.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Mazinger-Z said:

The point that should be made here is one can disagree, or even hate a specific joke, without hating the comedian, or comedy show said joke came from. The "I'm offended." "Well get over your self." kinda falls flat when comedy takes potshots at already maligned groups consistently to alienate said group further. That's a valid criticism. Because not all jokes are good natured and not all jokes are harmless. At any rate Matt and Trey are big boys, if what was being said here upset them they could hop on and defend themselves, but as stated before, they're big boys and they can handle criticism.
Dude, it's South Park, the capital of irreverence at this current time in the Realm of [s/]Madness[/s] Comedy. If you're feeling offended yourself or for some maligned group, congrats, you are now allowed into the club that everyone else has gotten in already. There's not a single person who's ever watched SP that HASN'T felt offended even the slightest bit at some point.

Not all jokes need to be good-natured or harmless, because it's mostly what the audience takes from it. You can say that they're making fun of trans people with Jenner, or you could take it that they're saying that Bruce didn't transition well into Caitlyn as well as people have said(and even then, a large number of people claiming to be trans have since done nothing but malign her because of not conforming to their values and she's just a gender traitor or something equally stupid).

You can say the joke is outdated and offensive, but guess what? South Park's main gimmick is old and about being offensive by making fun of as much real life silliness as possible, and it's been chugging along pretty steadily for 20 years, so there's SOMETHING there that isn't just because of some kind of -phobia or hate that keeps people coming back. And hell, she seems to be more a hit-and-running gimmick than a trans joke.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Johnisback said:
MarsAtlas said:
No. What I'm saying it that the "equal opportunity offender" line is some class-A doublespeak for the capitalistic comedian. Its having your cake and eating it too. They want to apologize for anybody who was offended and wants them to keep watching the show without looking like they caved in on any given issue and lose face for going back on what they said because it upset somebody. That is dishonesty, and furthermore they think that we'll believe it. Its really not hard to understand a distaste for being lied to.
Pardon my french but that's just cynical bullshit. "Equal opportunity offender" means "if you're offended you're not special, next week it'll be someone else and someone else the week after that."

I personally don't tell rape jokes, because I don't think I'm funny enough to make them work. That doesn't mean I'm against the telling of rape jokes though, I still believe that when it comes to comedy, nothing is off limits. In the same way just because they haven't made fun of Sandy Hook doesn't mean make them hypocrites or dishonest.

You're imagining an apology (although a false one) where there isn't one, you're imagining a concern for their audience straying where there isn't one. You are pushing false motivations onto a very simple concept that almost every comedian agrees with.

FriedRicer said:
All I got was:
1.SP say they target everyone.
2.They don't.
3.They only say that so we don't call them bias.
4.They do this to avoid backlash.
5.This is artistic cowardice.(C/D?)
It's not true though is it. They say that nothing is off limits, not that they target everyone. To target everyone would require them to put out thousands of episodes a day until the end of time. Tis a silly expectation and one they have never claimed to meet.

The only way you could call them artistic cowards is if you know there are subjects they wont touch because they personally think they are sacred, which you don't, so you can't.

Hell I even remember reading in an interview them saying something along the lines of "we hate Conservatives, but we REALLY hate Democrats." That doesn't seem like the kind of thing a person who doesn't want to be called biased would say.
The bullet points were a summation of Mars' statements as I saw them.
I don't expect them to get every target that exists - that is silly. That's why no one argued for that.
I do think they avoid certain points of views on certain topics.
"Nothing is off limits" is kind of a worthless statement if you hold a bias - right?

toonbro13

Nov 23, 2015
south parks always been wierd have you never seen eps like grounded vindaloop or major boobage?