Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Ahem.

Norman Bourlag
Fritz Haber
Alan Turing

Probably no where on that list. Turing may have a soft spot in my heart, and you could argue against him, but those first 2? Yeah, without there innovations, most of us would be dead.

Serperoth

Sep 9, 2009
WHAT?
WHAT!
There's no Tesla, no Archimedes, Alexander Graham Bell is in third place, no Bill Gates, Zuckerberg is on that list, and so is Jobs... Also lacking: Marconi, Leonardo da Vinci, and probably more whom I forget at this ungodly hour.
Gods I hate this world.

Jobs was a good marketer though, gotta give him that.

pln9fos

Mar 17, 2010
I personally discount this entire list for the sole fact that Nikola Tesla is not even mentioned on it.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Shouldn't we at least put in the guy who came up with the computer
or the guy who came up with the internet we're so frolicky making use of to post this kind of ridiculousness on

Or I dunno the guy who invented fire?

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Actually I was just reminded of something

If Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg are such great innovators

Why don't we put in the writing team for deus ex too?

They came up with some innovative ideas right, I mean those games sold lots of copies and

There was some sense in that logic right?

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
It's been said many times over why Edison didn't innovate.
Steve Jobs' innovation, as far as I can see, goes to the type of technologies that are in an iTouch. Yeah, the music player is nice, and touch screens are cool and all...but above Curie? Really?
Also, Zuckerberg DIDN'T INNOVATE. Did they forget that social network sites existed before Facebook?

Worst list ever written. It's based on popularity as "inventive" stereotypes, not on actual innovation.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Who here was expecting anything more than a popularity contest from a poll that went out to the general public (especially between 18-25 year olds)?

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Two most important innovators of all time aren't on that list.

First off, Bi Sheng. Invented movable type. Secondly, Johannes Gutenberg. Invented the printing press.

Anything that ANY other named inventor in the history of the world has accomplished pales in comparison to those two. Nothing that anyone has ever made before or after has affected more people than the printed word.

This is one of the few times I'll ever say this, but; This list makes me weep for humanity.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
The Random One said:
Perhaps the second loudest.

Edison is the loudest, indeed.
This is truth...

I hate Steve Jobs so much. More of a spiteful hipster/dictator than any sort innovator.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Dennis Ritchie.

Created C Programming Language and UNIX. Foundation of every major software innovation and invention since the 70's. None of it possible without him. Steve Jobs stole from his friend Steve Wozniak, all of the 'innovative' products made by Apple have been invented and developed by someone working for Steve Jobs, none of it by Jobs himself. Man was barely involved in the development of their GUI. As far as I can tell, all he really did was market the products well. To make people think that their dollars were going towards innovative products.

Steve Jobs has no place at the table genius engineering greats. As much as Microsoft as seen as the evil empire, no one can deny that Bill Gates was/is a genius in his field. Not to mention he has and continues to donate a significant proportion of his income to charity, as well as advocating for raising his own taxes. Steve Jobs closed Apple's charity endeavors when he returned as their CEO. They were never reopened, and neither did he ever partake in much charity himself.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011

Edison gets #1, Mark Zuckerberg on the list and not a single mention of Nikola Tesla? Shows just how out of touch kids are these days...

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Did he come up with new, exciting ways to entertain ourselves? Yes. But when I go down the list of things mammals need to survive:
Food & Water
Shelter
Moderate Climates

He didn't improve any of them. He improved the 4th item humans tack on to that list: Entertainment. I'd like to reserve the 'greatest' awards for people that accommodate the first 3.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
FFHAuthor said:
Two most important innovators of all time aren't on that list.

First off, Bi Sheng. Invented movable type. Secondly, Johannes Gutenberg. Invented the printing press.

Anything that ANY other named inventor in the history of the world has accomplished pales in comparison to those two. Nothing that anyone has ever made before or after has affected more people than the printed word.

This is one of the few times I'll ever say this, but; This list makes me weep for humanity.
QFTW

Good man, I like your suggestions for you speak the truth!
If anything has changed humanity in it's most basic and fundamental way it would be these.

Katnap_Devikat

Feb 12, 2010
I came here to defend Tesla, but found that several hundred people beat me to it.

Keep on rocking Guys.

PS. Seriously why isn't Tesla on this list

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
M-E-D The Poet said:

They came up with some innovative ideas right, I mean those games sold lots of copies and

If sales where what counted call of duty would be on that list

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Steve Jobs was the best promoter - every year releasing the same gadget and adding +1 to the last digit and charging £300 for what is just the same gadget with a few add ons.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Arizona Kyle said:
M-E-D The Poet said:

If sales where what counted call of duty would be on that list
Well yeah but the deus ex games wrote the textbook on Human Modification it's pro's and it's cons and the ethic battle that occurs when we'd ever get that far