Is Tetris the best game ever?

Nemesais

May 14, 2008
i remember playing Tetris on the original gameboy. the simplicity of it brought everyone in my family to try it, and they all loved it. and everybody can play it after being instructed in the controls, it's a challenging game and is even on the ipod touch. what do you think?

Humanfishboy

Aug 9, 2008
I'm not too fussed about Tetris. I wouldn't consider it the best game ever.

That honour belongs either to Half Life 2 or The Sims 2.

But then that's just my opinion, and that's the thing. People have opinions, so there really can't be a definitive "best game ever" ^^

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
My best game so far is Metroid Prime, but I suppose Tetris is perhaps the most universally liked game ever.

I like Hexic better though.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I have to disagree. It may have started puzzle games as we know it, but that's like calling the original Super Mario Brothers the best game ever. It certainly was influential, but you couldn't even walk backwards in that game.

Now, best PUZZLE game ever, that one goes to Meteos for me. Not the Disney one, mind you, but the original one.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I love Tetris. So easy but so addicting at the same time. But it's not the best game ever. That's Fantasy World Dizzy (^^) or Super Mario Bros.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
Tetris was a simple classic and if the idea of a game is for enjoyment then something that i play with for 20 minutes doesnt really class as best game ever in my opinion. I would probably say that unreal tournement - game of the year edition would probably be the best game for me, really enjoyed the many days i've spent running round a corner seeing someone and accidently getting a head shot with the sniper rifle by complete blind luck

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
I seem to be the only one who doesnt like Tetris. I just dont understand why you would enjoy watching blocks fall down a screen.(I know there's more to it). No 'Best Game Ever' will be found. Because everyone has different tastes and opinions, no game can be universally liked. Hell, the game I consider the best game ever is a JRPG, one of the most argument starting genres.

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
Best game ever? No. Frankly, I think taking all the thousands of games from gaming history and picking a single "best game ever" is stupid.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Tetris isn't "that" great. Of course, it's one of the few games that plays well on a cell phone.

M0tty

Aug 2, 2008
a great classic sure, but best game i don't think so. It does have one of the best theme tunes though if you ask me. When i used to have it on Gameboy, i'd sometimes play it just to listen to that song.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
The best game ever, Chess.

I don't know. Tetris is definitely an iconic title which has masterfully applied mechanics that has shaped a lot of the gaming world, but that word "best".

Unfortunately I don't think we could attach a "best" moniker to any game until we establish some metrics through which we are gauging it. Otherwise it's a flawed exercise in subjectivity.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I agree with the fact that it is a classic and shouldn't be disrespected. And yes, the theme may be one of the most addicting video game songs ever (if not THE). Buuuut... not the best game ever. Great and very influential, but not best.

Also, as noted a few posts above... communist conspiracy theory! >.>