Is the site possessed?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
So, something weird is going on.

1. The Escape to the Movies carousel (aptly named 42) links to a 404.
2. The forum keeps whiting out.
3. This (NOT edited):
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/4997.jpg/]

Edit:
4. ETTM is gone altogether now.
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/missingettm.jpg/]

Has the site been taken over by Satan?

My guess is yes. Yes it has.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I blame Kross

It's usually his fault. :3

I got 5001 messages as well -.-

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Oh, I get it now. The ETTM article it links to is titled "42". But the answer to life, the universe and everything has not been found, hence the 404.

Is what I would say if this was April 1st. Today, this is just weird...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I'm assuming there's probably something technical going on, but never rule out the possibility of Satan. Or possibly Mud too :D

Also I got a read the CoC thing before I posted so they might have altered that slightly too (although personally I didn't notice any changes >.>)

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Not only that, but the MLP group has died as well. My guess is server overload for some reason.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Monsterfurby said:
Oh, I get it now. The ETTM article it links to is titled "42". But the answer to life, the universe and everything has not been found, hence the 404.

No, it's the Escapist going all philosophical - 42 is supposed to be the answer but what the Escapist is trying to tell us is that there is no answer. Life, the universe, and everything lack any inherent meaning. Thus we can conclude that the Escapist is nihilistic.

And the messages thing also reinforces the idea - when you click to view the "new messages" you get nothing. Furthermore, the site is telling us to look beyond the superficial - the things may very often appear one way but actually be another.

Same with the forum. Also, the "whiting" is symbolic - showing the many possibilities we have before us at any point - it's like a blank slate or a sheet of paper. And we have the power to write whatever we want on it.

The Escapist's teachings are subtle but powerful. It's either that or just a bit buggy due to some updates or something going on.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I need my anti-Kross repellant now. It's Kross or Mud, OP. I can't think of someone else who would wreak havoc on the Escapist for the lulz and is part of the staff.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Blame Kross... always blame Kross!!!
:mad:

This happened to me too actually, reason?
I'd say that since it happened at 19:00 (for me local time) it was during the time they updated the site for videos and news so something went a bit wrong, didn't last more than 5 min thou so no prob.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
Ok this might be related to the boards recent wackiness(or it could be just a dumb question) but I just got a badge called "I'll Cut you." I don't think I've done anything lately to get a badge, or have I?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Nope, everything working for me. Could it be because I'm Kross' favourite? Or are those two things just coincidence and not linked at all?

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
YuberNeclord said:
Ok this might be related to the boards recent wackiness(or it could be just a dumb question) but I just got a badge called "I'll Cut you." I don't think I've done anything lately to get a badge, or have I?
It's for watching one of last Halloween's episodes of one of the shows here. I can't recall which gave you the cutlass but one did. There were few other horror props as badges - a hockey mask and a trident, for example, as well as several badges that spell out FREAK when collected all. These all ome from Halloween episodes of stuff.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'm more intrigued by the 4,997 unread messages in Monsterfurby's mailbox...

fish iron4

Dec 6, 2010
Even when the site gets corrupted by satanic forces from the unknown I still have 0 messages.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
DoPo said:
YuberNeclord said:
It's for watching one of last Halloween's episodes of one of the shows here. I can't recall which gave you the cutlass but one did. There were few other horror props as badges - a hockey mask and a trident, for example, as well as several badges that spell out FREAK when collected all. These all ome from Halloween episodes of stuff.
Oh ok, that's weird. I haven't watched any of the Halloween episodes since they came out.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
YuberNeclord said:
DoPo said:
YuberNeclord said:
Oh ok, that's weird. I haven't watched any of the Halloween episodes since they came out.
Ah, sorry - I looked it up and yes, you're correct - it's just scary themed episodes - it's one of the list here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/halloween/]. Each nets you a different badge.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
fish iron4 said:
Even when the site gets corrupted by satanic forces from the unknown I still have 0 messages.
I feel your pain, i spend most evening crying myself to sleep over this.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
DoPo said:
YuberNeclord said:
DoPo said:
YuberNeclord said:
Ah, sorry - I looked it up and yes, you're correct - it's just scary themed episodes - it's one of the list here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/halloween/]. Each nets you a different badge.
Ah now that makes sense. I was reading Yahtzee's 'Survival Horror on a Cruise Ship' article. Ok cool, mystery solved :)

Aug 1, 2010
fish iron4 said:
Every time I get up in the morning, I click on the Escapist bookmark and for just 1 second, I have the joy of hope that there will be a little orange number next to my inbox...... And then I die a little inside as I see that it's still 0.

Even worse is when I get all excited that I have a message..... And it turns out to be a notification form the Badge Hunters or something.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm guessing the subtly site change to the site (anyone notice the lines are more visible in the forum page and now the quotes and username area are in grey boxes now?) is the cause of the temporary stie mess up.