Is the traffic from ZP good or bad for the Escapist community?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So, its Wednesday, and the newest ZP isn't out yet. Of course, this leads to several people- destined to be frozen for shouting, "First"- making posts and threads that most of the more frequent visitors to the escapist frown upon.
Of course, who would be here today without ZP having drawn them to the Escapist in the first place? (Cookies to you if you found it in another way.)

So, I ask, is the negative impact of the weekly influx of trolls worth the benefits of new, decent, users? (And possibly silly threads to be entertained by?)

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
not last week with the "OMG FIRST POST!" people, but probably be back this week i guess

but without ZP many people wouldn't be here including me

Nazkay

Jan 7, 2009
Just because some people get banned, doesn't make everyone who comes on for ZP a troll does it? Each to their own...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I blame ZP, at least partially, for the fact that we're not allowed to like any video games anymore that weren't made by Valve.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Nazkay said:
Just because some people get banned, doesn't make everyone who comes on for ZP a troll does it? Each to their own...
You didn't even read my OP, did you?

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Yes, the traffic from Zero Punctuation is worth it because the mods have become quite accustomed to having their Banhammers at the ready on Wednesdays to seperate the wheat from the chaff. It's always funny to see a Zero Punctuation thread go like this:

Yahtzee: This week on Zero Punctuation, (*insert game here*)
Idiot # 13454 was banned for this post
Idiot # 46934 was banned for this post
Idiot # 54533 was banned for this post.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I came here because of ZP... I just am not a complete idiot to begin with. That's the problem with most people who are like that.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
I came here because of a recommendation from a friend, and discovered Mr. Croshaw afterwards.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I found this site because of ZP and yes it does attract a lot of idiots. Overall though, I believe that it is good for the site.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
I came here because of ZP and I find myself scratching my head at how keen some people are being the first to post a response.

I've had the internet like 12-13 years now and I don't get it. What am I missing? Do you win some magical digital prize for busting the comment page's cherry? Or are they just tools?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
For the site? Good.

For the Forums? Bad, because we get so many "I only watch ZP and have no opinions of my own" idiots wandering in here on Wednesdays. However we all started as one of them, admit it!

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Well as a person who only found this website because of ZP my opinion may bve slightly biased but I think it's probably a good thing. You'll get probably an equal amount of retards and intellectuals coming in, hopefully the people who can string 2 sentences together will stay. And as for the rest of them...

Well let's just say there are other places they could frequent.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Came here for ZP, stayed for the forums. This is the only forums I know of where grammar is taken as a priority in posts. Plus there's a sense of community here not present in other videogame culture forums I went through.

Mr. Squirrel

Aug 28, 2008
I don't consider my self a valuable asset to The Escapist communion, however I am not a (complete) retard and I got here through ZP. I reckon there are some people here who are considered worthy and who also came here through ZP.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, speaking as a person who got dragged in by ZP, I'm glad I found this forum (ZP or no ZP) and I like to think I'm a part of the non-troll newbie population.

Population increases are always a mixed blessing and generally tend to seem worse than they actually are since idiots tend to be more vocal. However, Escapist appears to be very well moderated and if the mods can keep up the pace, the downsides of more trolls will be insignificant compared to the benefits of a greater number of productive community members.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
I loved this forum a bit more before the sudden boom of new members, but some have been very good for this forum were as allot more have been trolls.

Speaking specifically about the forums not the escapist in a whole I wouldn't mind if ZP was to find itself on another site in which the trolls would blindly follow.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Jandau said:
Well, speaking as a person who got dragged in by ZP, I'm glad I found this forum (ZP or no ZP) and I like to think I'm a part of the non-troll newbie population.
From what I can tell, you are. =D

Grenbyron

Dec 31, 2008
Just like any good RPG and a few SCI-FI games... Trolls are inevitable. You will find them everywhere. I would bet that if you went to the forum for Hello Kitty Online, you will find them there. Give it up, they are there.