Is the whole "Kony 2012" thing already over?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Course it's dead, the celebrities have moved on to something else so you can't seem like a deep, world-loving person by giving a shit about something old now can you?

You have to only give a shit when it's popular, duh.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
To be honest I missed it. I have little to no idea what it is all about. I read a couple of threads on here about it, but they never explained anything. As far as I could figure out they were raising money to stop an African warlord. I'm assuming they would use that money to hire mercenaries or something. Which, if true, is not very charitable.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
To be honest I missed it. I have little to no idea what it is all about. I read a couple of threads on here about it, but they never explained anything. As far as I could figure out they were raising money to stop an African warlord. I'm assuming they would use that money to hire mercenaries or something. Which, if true, is not very charitable.
You're frighteningly close to the truth!
But instead of mercs they were going to use the SPLA and Ugandan Army with American special advisers.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Well, an ex-housemate of mine started posting Kony stuff a couple of days ago. She stopped after several people told her to give it a rest. She missed the bandwagon and now that wagon ahs flipped over and caught on fire.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Blablahb said:
Well, the main driving force behind the campaign is sitting in hospital in a drug-abuse related psychosis, and most people know that Kony is no longer a threat in Uganda, that the 'charity' is quite corrupt, and the people behind it rabbid evangelicals who are more likely to spend money on conversion than on actual charity.

I'd say that campaign is pretty dead.
hmm... haven't heard of the rabbid evangelicals and would like a source because this seems so totally out of left field for "rabbid evangelicals" to care (put simply, your synopsis sounds more like you're blaming people who you culturally view as "enemies" rather than anyone actually involved, most likely because you found a single or handful of "evangelicals" which support the cause, but whom make up a distinct minority... especially because MOST people who ACTUALLY support it are college students... and believe me, they don't like religious people).
Well it's rabid, not rabbid, but actually, on this occasion, Blab is right. Charlie Brooker told me so on 10 O'Clock Live (basically a British version of The Daily Show) with a clip showing Jason Russell evangelising to a hall full of evangelists, and a few clips from Invisible Children's hundreds of weird youth cult recruitment videos. Here's the segment [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om17yHZrXtE]. It was broadcast before the whole public masturbation incident, I think. Skip to 2:20, or just watch the whole five minutes for the giggles. (Hope you are not offended by the occasional joke about Jesus being unable to dance because his feet were nailed down.)

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I was wondering this myself - there is meant to be a day in April where they want people to put up posters all over wherever they are to raise awareness. Maybe they shouldve had this day already? Im certain more people will have forgotten it by mid April.

I think the two main things that killed it were the facts that Kony isnt even in Uganda anymore and is apparently not even a real threat at this point. Obviously we'd all still like the sick asshole to be brought to justice, hard. Like, being crushed by his own house hard. But then there's also the questionnable distribution of their finances which made people iffy about it.

Oh, and masturbating in public... its hard to forget about that...

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
A Raging Emo said:
Hell, the fact that some people didn't know who he was beforehand was pretty shocking.
Because Uganda should be something everyone is well read up on? Seriously, most of what goes on in most African nations isn't going to be something most people have the slightest clue about.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:
Hell, the fact that some people didn't know who he was beforehand was pretty shocking.
Because Uganda should be something everyone is well read up on? Seriously, most of what goes on in most African nations isn't going to be something most people have the slightest clue about.
Not Uganda. The LRA, recruitment of Child "Soldiers", war crimes, et cetera.

If these people all truely cared, you'd think they would know about these things going on long beforehand.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Pretty much. Now everybody's making a big deal about some dead black kid in Florida. Who cares, amirite?

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Quote from the "My issue with the whole Kony 2012 thing going on right now." topic

Orange12345 said:
xDarc said:
So after her bit about why care; I said yeah, but you can't talk about it like that- because horrible shit that happens is equally horrible wherever, and when people get emotionally swept up in it you can't say stuff like that to them. You can say it to me, but if you said it on facebook expect to catch a world of shit. She said she knew she would and we both decided the best thing to do is just say nothing, let people send their money, and then forget about it in a month or two like usual.
And this is the most tragic thing in my opinion, all the people talking and trying to get people involved will not give a flying fuck about this 3-4 weeks from now
Called it, just saiyan

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
rhizhim said:
Ando85 said:
I notice I don't see this anymore. Type in Kony 2012 and you are some sort of social crusader just because you watched a viral video on youtube. Has everyone given up on this thing or is it still going?
no. you just revived it accidently.
I'm crying tears of laughter, the nostalgia critic is so awesome!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ando85 said:
I notice I don't see this anymore. Type in Kony 2012 and you are some sort of social crusader just because you watched a viral video on youtube. Has everyone given up on this thing or is it still going?
This is the era of social networking. What did you expect? a 15 minute attention span has been standard for years.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Lionsfan said:
Sunrider84 said:
I sure hope so. It was stupid either way. Mouse click activism at its "finest".
I believe the proper term is slacktivism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacktivism]
I stand corrected! I didn't know there was an official term for it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hey now, even though being filmed by an evangelical who wants 9 more children to bring his total to 11, yet is overly concerned for the saftey and well being of children in afrika, yet cant even go a week after his video goes viral busting into a drunken public mastabatory rage, you cannot undercut the underlying hipocracy involved when the organization of this project has deep and direct ties to Ugandan evangelicals on a crusade to kill all homosexuals.

Yes, the campaign of faux enlightenment is dead and buried. No body thought of the children.
Well, no body, cept this one guy who likes to rock out with his cock out.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
No, it can't be over. What the hell am I going to do with the 100 Kony 2012 posters I have to post up next month?