Is the whole "Kony 2012" thing already over?

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The founder was caught masturbating and people have absorbed enough information now to realize it's all a scam. The organisation lost credibility and most people have forgotten it.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Whats sad here is all those young people who got caught up in the hype and fad when this was gaining momentum will now most likely feel justified in becoming all 'cool' jaded...'I got burnt by that Kony thing man,never again'.

If anybody who actually backed this shite is reading,you can still donate to charities that provide clean drinking water,nutrition,basic shelter and education to Ugandan kids with nothing.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I think the whole thing blew over when the guy who made the video was caught walking around the streets of San Dieago naked, started shouting random crap, and then masterbated in the street.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
TrilbyWill said:
Esotera said:
Last I heard the founder was caught masturbating in public and the Ugandan government released a video saying that they had effectively stopped Kony, and someone else had risen up in his place.
Well, we know he was caught having a wank in the streets.
The second part is what a lot of people like myself expected. You get one guy, some other guy replaces him. It's how shit works over there. They have hundreds of warlords we don't hear about...
Like Uganda's own army! :p Run by Warlords... massacred the people of the Democratic of the Congo because they were of a different tribe... Some of that charity money was going to eqipment for the same people who did that...! Gotta love the world!

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
eels05 said:
Whats sad here is all those young people who got caught up in the hype and fad when this was gaining momentum will now most likely feel justified in becoming all 'cool' jaded...'I got burnt by that Kony thing man,never again'.

If anybody who actually backed this shite is reading,you can still donate to charities that provide clean drinking water,nutrition,basic shelter and education to Ugandan kids with nothing.
But thats not whats popular man! <---- the sad truth.

OT:Just another flash in the pan "thing". It was pretty much dead after the first few days, way before the other thing. People have moved onto the next flavour now.

Still, we can lol at the people who actually donated and bought a load of those posters.

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
Yes, it appears that Kony 2012 is over, but we must never give up the fight against evil.

We must stop him before it's too late.

Tony 2012. Together, we can stop the tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2O-YUzL-A

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not sure what bugs me more.

The internet activists, or the people who shit on the movement from the beginning. 3 weeks ago it was the popular thing to be all over this issue. Now, it seems to be the popular thing to say "I knew it was crazy from the start".

Yeah, it's a shifty as fuck organization, but quite frankly I'm getting more of a cynical 'fuck the majority and people on Facebook' vibe than people who actually care what's going on.

I'm just a little curious on how you can tell people "you're not doing enough, so don't do anything at all"

(Though I have to say, when looking back at some of the shots in the video and the 'peace with violence', there's some creepy similarities between that and pre-WW2 Nazis.)

Edit; It also is kind of funny to think that the Mass Effect 3 controversy will probably outlive this by a good 2 months.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I think a lot of the bad backlash effectively killed any kind of movement that could emerge...then again it was still slacktivism at its finest.

But once the claims against Invisible Children started to emerge, Ugandans started talking to media outlets about how insane the idea of destabilizing the Rift Valley and central Congo was and a couple political scientists weighed in there was a lot of material against their idea. I would hope that it's the result of people realizing that they're spoiled Westerners who have almost no knowledge of Central African conflicts (or where Uganda is on a map most likely) and are arguing for uncomfortably close to 'White Man's Burden' positions ('we can save Africa' was just so awkward in a historical context) but it's probably just because of the fraud and masturbation controversies. The most dangerous thing about the Kony debate was how completely steeped in ignorance it was.

Reginald the Butler

Mar 29, 2012
It seems to have died down quite a bit. However out here in non-internet land there is still a few posters and rallies hanging around. It'll probably take a little longer for all these outside campaigns to quiet down.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That's viral activism for you. It runs its course of one tweet or Facebook post from all the teenagers, and then no one cares.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
It's over man, first off it flamed up too quick to last. Second, people exposed Invisible Children for looking like a pretty huge scam pretty quick, everyone who actually researched realized things were a little off about it, won't go into details but the whole situation with Kony really didn't make any sense. Third, Russel was jacking off, naked in public, so it lost creditably. Fourth, a video came out where a founder of the company made jokes about keeping lots of money they made for supporting the situation in Haiti during the earthquake. Basically Invisible Children uses people's compassion to make money, they give a bit of it out to look legit and then keep the rest for themselves.