Is the Xbox one going to die a slow and painful death

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
No the Xbox One is not going to die because as soon as 360 games are phased out it's going to be holding a bunch of games we want to play hostage. I'm already considering buying one next year. Or a PS4 because I am no longer interested in any 360 exclusives

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I certainly hope so. It's so anti-consumer I want it to be punished with low sales and poor performance.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As much as I highly dislike everything related to the Xbox brand, I doubt it'll ever die.

A slow start indeed, but that's how many consoles did, like the 3DS and PS3, especially the PS3.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I wouldn't say it's doomed, they just need to expand their games lineup so they can be more than the CoDBox. They may have as many brainless, multiplayer, military shooters as the PS4, but the PS4 has some amazingly creative and beautiful games to offset them. I'm holding off on buying a new console for at least another year, and when I make that purchase, I'm going to get a PS4 unless MS starts to realize that some people aren't fans of brown-and-grey games with lots of guns and stubbly meatheads.

FYI, this entire post was written by a HUGE Borderlands fan. I'd never say that all shooters (even shooter/RPGs) are bad.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
As much as I highly dislike everything related to the Xbox brand, I doubt it'll ever die.

A slow start indeed, but that's how many consoles did, like the original NDS and PS3, especially the PS3.
The original DS didn't start out slow, on the contrary it soared off shelves from what I remember. The original 3DS, now that was a terrible start, but the DS was fine I thought.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Neronium said:
SupahGamuh said:

A slow start indeed, but that's how many consoles did, like the original NDS and PS3, especially the PS3.
The original DS didn't start out slow, on the contrary it soared off shelves from what I remember. The original 3DS, now that was a terrible start, but the DS was fine I thought.
I remember the NDS having a slow start, but w/e, I'll change it to the 3DS :p

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I wouldn't say it's doomed, they just need to expand their games lineup so they can be more than the CoDBox. They may have as many brainless, multiplayer, military shooters as the PS4, but the PS4 has some amazingly creative and beautiful games to offset them. I'm holding off on buying a new console for at least another year, and when I make that purchase, I'm going to get a PS4 unless MS starts to realize that some people aren't fans of brown-and-grey games with lots of guns and stubbly meatheads.

FYI, this entire post was written by a HUGE Borderlands fan. I'd never say that all shooters (even shooter/RPGs) are bad.
Yeah, a little variety wouldn't kill them.

I'm really not a huge shooter fan, outside of Borderlands, and seeing a console with a good portion of their games being shooters is a bit of a turn off for me. The reason I went with a PS4 was because they offered something different, even if they don't have a lot of games out for it at the moment, and it was cheaper. Microsoft also has a tendency to force the user into using certain things, like the Kinect, that really aren't that well received, so that doesn't do them any favors.

OT: Okay, I will admit I have a fiery and passionate hatred of Microsoft, for unrelated reasons, but I think the Xbone will be fine.

Granted, I think it will take time for that to happen, but if they just release more games that aren't all shooty and dude-bro then I think it will be a step in the right direction. A lower price will help and an option for a Kinect-free console that is open to more regions would be nice, and being available to more regions in general would help.

It's still a pretty solid console, but they just need to do some marketing tweaks and they should be golden since what's happening now is what happened with the PS3.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
SourMilk said:
Lol no. Wii U is doing badly, very badly.

With a nearly 2 years head start it should be within the 10s of millions and quite frankly by the end of this year at the very most the Xbone would have out sold the Wii U.

Statistically speaking, the Wii U is paring with the DreamCast. In fact doing worse if we're going to compensate for the increased spending on consoles by consumers since 2010.
I think looking at console units sold only, the Wii U does not compare to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast sold about 10 million units over a 2 year period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

But Wii U is held aloft by Nintendo, which is still doing well with its handheld market. Dreamcast had no such support. The longer Wii U survives, the more consoles it will ultimately sell over the next 5 years. My guess... and it's only a guess, is that if even fraction of owners buy Nintendos main titles, that means a number of first party multi-million games sold. Personally, I'll get Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brother, Mario 3d and Pikmin 3 ASAP.

I wonder if PS4 and XB1 sales are as high as they are due to pent up demand? Will they slow down a lot over the coming year? Will most PS3 and 360 owners just hang on to that stuff till it dies? When it does die, will they seek to buy a replacement or move into gen 8?

Part of what I think is going on: Wii owners are growing up. They are replacing their Wii's with PS3 or PS4. But I think a lot of 360 owners are going Sony as well.

OP of this thread sounds like a Sony fanboy.
Might be. I have a lot of reasons to be angry with Microsoft. I don't want an XB1 (unless it was free with a 5 year Xbox live gold pass). But they keep Sony relatively in check. We need competition to get the best from these companies. I hope plenty of people buy one, but I'm worried about their longevity. I am disappointed that their sales, at this point, are not on par with PS4.

Interesting link: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/27/why-did-sonys-ps3-just-outsell-the-ps4-in-japan.aspx

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
SourMilk said:
OP of this thread sounds like a Sony fanboy.
OP of this thread was very much in Yahtzee's 'consoles are dead this generation is going to rot' camp. After repeatedly being shown record breaking Sony sales figures, he's tried to readjust his sights.

See
Next Gen is now out and its a massive 'meh' for both consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.834868-Next-Gen-is-now-out-and-its-a-massive-meh-for-both-consoles?page=1]
Is This The Ugliest Console Generation? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.819635-Is-this-the-ugliest-console-generation?page=1]
Do gamers have the balls to force a crash??? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.835457-Do-gamers-have-the-balls-to-force-a-crash?page=1]
Poll: Why are you pre-ordering the Xbox one or PS4?? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.824100-Poll-Why-are-you-pre-ordering-the-Xbox-one-or-PS4#19963503]
and so on...

To be fair the OP is super passionate and a lot of his ideas have a pretty good foundation. Fonejackerjon is really pro innovation, pro new less exploitative pricing schemes etc which is all good stuff

Gorfias said:
But Wii U is held aloft by Nintendo, which is still doing well with its handheld market. Dreamcast had no such support. The longer Wii U survives, the more consoles it will ultimately sell over the next 5 years. My guess... and it's only a guess, is that if even fraction of owners buy Nintendos main titles, that means a number of first party multi-million games sold. Personally, I'll get Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brother, Mario 3d and Pikmin 3 ASAP.

I wonder if PS4 and XB1 sales are as high as they are due to pent up demand? Will they slow down a lot over the coming year? Will most PS3 and 360 owners just hang on to that stuff till it dies? When it does die, will they seek to buy a replacement or move into gen 8?

Part of what I think is going on: Wii owners are growing up. They are replacing their Wii's with PS3 or PS4. But I think a lot of 360 owners are going Sony as well.
I'd never really thought about how the lack of third-party titles might make Nintendo financially successful even if their console isn't successful. And it's not like their games aren't amazing, so if you have a Wii U plus a second gaming device then you're still going to be a happy customer. I feel like they lose some of their fanbase every time they fail to get third-party support though, because not everyone is going to have two gaming devices, so it's probably not a sustainable business model for the generation after this. Still I hope it works out here, the people who bought a Wii U deserve to be well-supported by first party titles at least.

I think it's less about Wii owners growing up though. Wii sales really began to tail off towards the end and I think there were a lot of people who bought a Wii in the beginning and over time realised it didn't offer what they need. I've got a die-hard Nintendo friend who ended up buying an 360 too because that was the sort of game he was after. Those people weren't going to buy a second Wii and probably switched to Microsoft and Sony this generation.

And the people who did want a Wii for the party stuff... I still think the Wii is a better party console than the Wii U. The asymmetric gameplay is cool, but not so much in the kind of party environment that the Wii excelled in. It's essentially a Wii where one less person looks stupid. I don't think the people who bought a Wii for those reasons would like the Wii U in the same way.

I bet PS4 and Xbox One games are definitely making money off that pent up demand. It probably was a huge boost to Tomb Raider. This is why it's meant to be a good time to launch new IPs, because the game selection at the launch of a new generation always means that people basically have no choice but to play your game. The cross-generation porting might be lessening that effect though.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
No, Wii U is the failure of this gen, Xbone is doing just fine for a piece of hardware that's more expensive than its direct competitor AND inferior to it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
BrotherRool said:
I feel like they [Nintendo] lose some of their fanbase every time they fail to get third-party support though
Back in the day, I suggested my brother get his family get a Gamecube rather than PS2 (as at that time, they could hav only one). He has always been chagrined by this, complaining that when he goes to Gamestop, he passes by wall after wall of PS2 and Xbox titles, very few for Gamecube. That definitely hurt his perception of Nintendo a lot. Still, they bought a Wii next. But they got a 360 as well.

And the people who did want a Wii for the party stuff... I still think the Wii is a better party console than the Wii U.
The Wii U is backward compatible so that huge library of Wii games can be played on the Wii U with Wii controllers. So, within the next few years, as Wii consoles die, will their owners replace them with Wii U consoles so they can continue to play their Wii games? Some I think. But this gets back to the fanbase growing up: if my nephew had to choose, he'd go for either the PS4 or XB1 (he did go double console: Wii and 360. And that gamecube keeps chugging along. It's still up in his bedroom.)

I don't know if there are any Wii U games yet where 4 people all use Wiimotes as they did for the Wii. When that happens, you have a Wii that is 1080P rather than 480i (or p if you have it so set up).

I bet PS4 and Xbox One games are definitely making money off that pent up demand. It probably was a huge boost to Tomb Raider. This is why it's meant to be a good time to launch new IPs, because the game selection at the launch of a new generation always means that people basically have no choice but to play your game. The cross-generation porting might be lessening that effect though.
I think that's why Microsoft basically had to murder the original Xbox just when it was hitting its stride. The original Xbox was doing 16x9 at 720P, had ethernet connectivity and Xbox Live. We were basically forced into the 360.

I have a buddy that was PC only. He had the choice to buy a PS3 or 4. He got the 3. For what a PS4 cost, he got PS3 and a dozen great games.

Sony reportedly will support the PS3 for another 3 years. I wonder if Microsoft has made any similar claims for the 360.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Anyone remember the 'PS3 has no gamezz' meme? Or something like that.

My point is, the games make the console.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Even though the PS4 is doing far better then the Xbone, I doubt Microsoft will let a console that they poured so much money into die. The xbone isn't doing as spectacularly as the PS4, but it's still doing better the the Wii U.. if any console is going to die this generation, it's the Wii U, not the xbone, both PS4 and Xbone will do even better in coming years after more games come out that focus more on being fun and creative,instead of how most of the games released so far that have mostly focused on showing of the tech of the next gen... i'm sure the xbone will get a killer game that puts it's sales closer to the PS4's at some point.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
You can't really compare the Wii U to the X1. Nintendo will find a will try to find away to minimize their losses while Microsoft will try to find away to to sell to consumer. Xbox outsold the Gamecube but Microsoft went 3 billion in the whole doing so. Nintendo was profitable that generation probably do to the GBA.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Gorfias said:
And the people who did want a Wii for the party stuff... I still think the Wii is a better party console than the Wii U.
The Wii U is backward compatible so that huge library of Wii games can be played on the Wii U with Wii controllers. So, within the next few years, as Wii consoles die, will their owners replace them with Wii U consoles so they can continue to play their Wii games? Some I think. But this gets back to the fanbase growing up: if my nephew had to choose, he'd go for either the PS4 or XB1 (he did go double console: Wii and 360. And that gamecube keeps chugging along. It's still up in his bedroom.)

I don't know if there are any Wii U games yet where 4 people all use Wiimotes as they did for the Wii. When that happens, you have a Wii that is 1080P rather than 480i (or p if you have it so set up).
You make a good point, I guess it probably is about the fanbase growing up then, to some extent.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
As much as I would like to see it happen (as I don't care how much they changed it, Microsoft tried to screw us and I don't forgive them) it will not happen. Now that the Kinect is gone I am sure sales will pick up. Not to mention the bump in sales it will get when the next Halo and Gears of War games are released.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Despite all the blunders that Microsoft has made, the console is not even close to failing. Why? Because the mass market doesn't give a shit about DRM, the mass market doesn't give a shit about Kinect, the mass market just wants to buy a thing that plays games. The Xbox One can do that. I see no problems here. Yeah, maybe Xbox lost some 'hardcore' gamers with their missteps, but it didn't turn away a couple million of others.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
clippen05 said:
Despite all the blunders that Microsoft has made, the console is not even close to failing. Why? Because the mass market doesn't give a shit about DRM, the mass market doesn't give a shit about Kinect, the mass market just wants to buy a thing that plays games. The Xbox One can do that. I see no problems here. Yeah, maybe Xbox lost some 'hardcore' gamers with their missteps, but it didn't turn away a couple million of others.
The argument about mainstream gamers not giving a shit about these issues died when Microsoft got spanked in pre-orders until the Xbox OneEighty. It's the reason for the OneEighty in the first place, and likely the reason behind the Kinect drop.

Look, the Xbone is like 3 million units behind now. If none of this mattered, then you wouldn't see that kind of disparity.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
clippen05 said:
The argument about mainstream gamers not giving a shit about these issues died when Microsoft got spanked in pre-orders until the Xbox OneEighty. It's the reason for the OneEighty in the first place, and likely the reason behind the Kinect drop.

Look, the Xbone is like 3 million units behind now. If none of this mattered, then you wouldn't see that kind of disparity.
Yeah, they are behind, but so what? They still have respectable figures. The point of this thread is deduce whether or not they will die and that's just not going to happen. The Xbox and Gamecube were both completely dwarfed by the sales of the Playstation2, but you Nintendo or the xbox division of Microsoft hasn't died a 'slow and painful death' yet, so I can't see it happening now. Especially when Gold subscriptions ranking in millions of dollars a month for the company.

I'd disagree with your notion of people caring about the DRM and whatnot, but there's no way we can know what everyone was thinking; I'd wager that the reason Microsoft is behind is simply because of price, not anything else. $100 is a big deal for people; price is the number one concern for the vast majority of consumers.

(I don't know when the prices for Xbox One and PS4 were released in regards to the opening of preorders so I could be wrong)