Is there anything that can be not bad in excess?

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Is there anything you can do that no matter how often you do it, you suffer absolutely no negative effects?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Uhh....

Uhmmm....

I'm gonna go with...

I got nothing. You've really stumped me with that. Gonna go think some more.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Uhh....

Uhmmm....

I'm gonna go with...

I was going to originally say living and learning but when I think about it some more, those don't count either.

Oct 2, 2012
Professor James said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Uhh....

Uhmmm....

I'm gonna go with...

I was going to originally say living and learning but when I think about it some more, those don't count either.
The more you live the closer you come to death :D

And I am also stumped. Everything I can think of in excess will kill you.
Water, oxygen, food, mercury, internet, urznium, etc.
I am beffudled by this question...

C F

Jan 10, 2012
...Being happy?
Can you actually suffer from perpetually being in good spirits? I have to wonder about that.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Conversation perhaps

*ponders*

I can only think of abstract things like friendship but i'm not sure you would count that

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Uhh...
That's a damn good question. The only thing I can come up with is... Meditation? And even then, I'm probably just not thinking hard enough about it haha...
o_O

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't think there really is anything unless you want to say something like 'being alive' since the worst thing that can happen if you're alive would be death. Obviously it's worse to die young than old so I guess being alive and, living would be the best thing to do to excess. NO NOT YOLO. Carpe Diem maybe but not the other thing.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Breathing.

Next question?

[sub]Unless you want to confound the issue by adding in modifiers like "Well, what if you're swimming underwater or in the middle of a burning building?"[/sub]

EDIT: After receiving multiple quotes about "hyperventilation", I feel the need to clarify that I was assuming this question was asking the frequency of the action taken, and not the power with which it is taken. I've never heard of a person purposely making themselves hyperventilate on a regular basis. And the OP was just asking for an action that no matter how often you do it, would still not be bad.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Professor James said:
Is there anything you can do that no matter how often you do it, you suffer absolutely no negative effects?
Laughing, assuming you take breaks to eat and drink. It releases endorphines, increases bloodflow, strengthens the abdominal muscles and diaphragm, and brings everyone around you to a good mood (and if it doesn't, you're too busy laughing to care anyways).

If you include social side-effects, I suppose if you have a job that requires some social graces you could get in hot water for laughing at the wrong times (a surgeon after an operation where the patient died, for instance) - but other than that, you can't laugh too often.

Breathing as well, I guess. Sure you could hyperventilate and pass out (I think those are more neutral than negative since no physical harm is done), but unless you breathe like a twat all loud and annoying in someone's face it's hard to get too much of good ol' air.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
SciMal said:
Professor James said:
Laughing, assuming you take breaks to eat and drink. It releases endorphines, increases bloodflow, strengthens the abdominal muscles and diaphragm, and brings everyone around you to a good mood (and if it doesn't, you're too busy laughing to care anyways).

If you include social side-effects, I suppose if you have a job that requires some social graces you could get in hot water for laughing at the wrong times (a surgeon after an operation where the patient died, for instance) - but other than that, you can't laugh too often.

Breathing as well, I guess. Sure you could hyperventilate and pass out (I think those are more neutral than negative since no physical harm is done), but unless you breathe like a twat all loud and annoying in someone's face it's hard to get too much of good ol' air.
My sister's friend had a grandfather who died from a heart attack while laughing. So there's that.

My answer? Buying and owning underwear. You can never have too much underwear.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
The very nature of the question makes it a paradox. If you're doing something 'in excess', you're doing more than you should, which is bad.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
There is nothing that in a large enough amount is not bad for you. There is always a point where it becomes too much to be good for you, even healthy things. The opposite is also true. Having too little of something can also be bad. Even something like diseases are good to have in some moderation. Case and point being what happened to Native Americans when Europeans first arrived.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
JRCB said:
SciMal said:
Professor James said:

My sister's friend had a grandfather who died from a heart attack while laughing. So there's that.

My answer? Buying and owning underwear. You can never have too much underwear.
WHILE laughing, not BECAUSE of laughing?

Either way, he went out laughing. We can all only wish for such a good death.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Professor James said:
excess by definition means doing something until you cause a problem, so your question is a paradox that cannot be answered by standard logical reasoning

however, you can do something that is capped by physical restraints rather than human physiological ones
it really depends how far you push the concept of 'no-matter how often' allot of things become lethal quite quickly with repetition and no rest

the logical answer is do something that has an intrinsic time limit to it and the most often you could ever do said action would be a rate your life could keep pace with
for example, you could perpetually assemble matchstick creations for the rest of your life and sleep while the glue sets between assembly phases

same goes for painting, most anything where you can simply stop, sleep, eat and let said process continue unassisted for some time because it's still completing itself

it's certainly possible to do something other than worry about yourself 99.99% of the time but as to no ill effects? you'd probably go crazy from doing something that repetitive ALL the time.

so onto the easy stupid answers then:

as to the 'blinking' 'thinking' ect responses.. no.. try blinking fast for 2 minutes and you'll soon realize it would hurt to keep that up for long, and you cant use your brain forever because you become exhausted
However.
if you install an air compressor in your ass and a release valve, you could in fact fart for the rest of eternity, even while sleeping.
yes.. really. that's what it comes to.

Solve media: donkey's years
yes, fart for a while solve that's what i said.