Is this the generation the end of quality single player games?

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
On a sidenote, I hear a new Monkey Island game is on it's way.
WHAT!?!?
LIES!

*secretly peeing his pants with excitement*
It's already out... Called Tales of Monkey Island, and is episode based (5 episodes, 1st one available now) and apparently only on Steam.

Telltale games (Sam & Max) made it, so I wouldn't expect too much, but hey, they might surprise me.
Whaaat? Hmmm I don't know if I trust that!

edit - I don't trust the different developers - not you :)
Dude, they made SBCG4AP, relax.

I might just be saying that because I love Homestar Runner.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
scnj said:
Depends on the game. There are still great single player orientted games like BioShock, Mass Effect, Dead Space etc. And the single/multiplayer quality gap in multiplayer orientated games is closer this generation than it was last gen. I mean, Halo 3's campaign is much better than Timesplitters 2's campaign.
But not better than Timesplitters: Future Perfect campaign, or at least IMO.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Hail Fire 998 said:
In my opinion Gears of War 2, Oblivion, Fallout, Call of Duty 4, Crackdown was fun (not very story oriented though), and Mass Effect were good for single player.
For me, there's nothing to worry about. Not yet, atleast. Unless people decide that we should only have MMOGs to play. That would be terrible.
Every one of the games you just mentioned had me occupied for weeks, and in the case of Fallout and Oblivion, months. Oh, and I forgot about Bioshock. It was really good, but not the best.

Can't wait for Crackdown 2... nothing beats jumping across skyscrapers at night with the city lit up far below you.
Yeah, Im really glad their making it. I wonder what this "new threat" is. I just hope it doesn't make the game lame...
I played Fallout for about 4 months (got it in January this year) and Oblivion for a year and a half (Got it September 2007). Bioshock was a game i forgot from the list. Bioshock was good too.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Nah, there's been plenty of good single player games this generation.
I think looking back from the next generation people will see that this one hasn't been all that bad at all, although advancement in game design has slowed down a lot.
Especially caompared to the PS1 to PS2 eras where graphics and gameplay really were advancing quickly. But it still hasn't been bad.

scnj said:
I mean, Halo 3's campaign is much better than Timesplitters 2's campaign.
I respectfully disagree.

TimeSplitters 2's campaign was a great deal smarter. It expected (demanded) a certain degree of both skill and thinking to progress through the game on normal and hard. Although the plot wasn't any deeper than "These are aliens, they time travel, they are evil, fuck 'em up,"
The gameplay and level design made up the short fall.

Halo 3 has nothing that can't be solved by either straight up firepower or pressing the button the NPC's scream at you to press until you press it. The Lord of the Rings in space style plot wasn't bad, but it was hardly System Shock 2 either. To me it's like a summer blockbuster, gorgeous but too easy and too dumb.
Despite the fact that Halo 3's campaign WAS easy, it is fun with other people as u can laugh at them when they fuck up. So ya it is stupid, yet fun.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Single-player is incredibly important, because sometimes one doesn't want to play with a bunch of assholes on the internet. Developers should focus on making it as enjoyable as the multiplayer. However, multiplayer is still important. For example, Half-Life 2 had excellent singleplayer but the online play, via Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, was incredibly bland and uninspired and seemed to attract generic XBL types. Deathmatch was easily Valve's worst game. So both are important in my book, but not every game needs both. Team Fortress 2 does wonderfully strictly multiplayer, and Oblivion is still amazing despite its lack of multiplayer. If the developers go to the trouble to add both play types, though, they should work equally hard on both of them.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
And to the guy who said God of War III..... No, just.... no.
Beyond good and evil 2 FTW!
Why not? What's wrong with god of war?

Also, I've heard about that game but have no clue what is, please enlighten me.
Just that the series follows the exact same formula as devil may cry, and that every single game might as well just be the same game. (though i actually enjoyed chains of olympus).
Beyond good and evil is a brilliant mixture of third person action/adventure game mixed with slight element of fps, pokemon snap, and stealth elements. It really is the ultimate game. Too bad it's so short... :(
Devil May Cry was good, and god of war isn't so close to it (or atleast the third and 4th one) where it's a blatant rip-off so I don't see what you're getting there with that. And, maybe I just have low standards but I really don't care if God of war 3 is just GOW2 with better graphics, a few more combos/weapons/spells, and obviously more story mode, assuming the new gameplay additions aren't useless and the story mode continues to be ...you know...good.

pokemon snap?
Pokemon snap... it's hard to explain. you have to play it to understand.
Wait, is that the pokemon game where you have to take pictures of pokemon -_-' ?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Raykuza said:
Halo Fanboy said:
Raykuza said:
How's Demon's Souls for a future quality single player game?
It isn't a single player game.

Upcoming single player games that look good Include GOW3, Brutal Legends, Bayonetta and Beyond Good and Evil 2.
I don't see how a game with capabilities for multiplayer (most of which are asynchronous) is not considered single player altogether. As long as the single player experience is solid, it should be deemed as such.
Technically Brutal Legend shouldn't be there as it will have a multiplayer mode. It will have multiplayer as confirmed by Tim Schafer when Commenting on the first 16 minutes of footage.

But now for the poster I qouted. I don't even see how the this generation is the end of quality games. What have we seen? Possibley the first 5 months of 2010. We still have plenty of time to produce great games for lonley people who lack an internet connection.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
single player is slipping a bit they won't stop making it but when they tack on either multiplayer or single player as an after thought that is bullshit , and yeah i hated gta4 multiplayer it took game play from single player ,maybe cramming both game play types on one disc is a bad idea, why not put them on separate discs?

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Strong Intelligent said:
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
WHAT!?!?
LIES!

It's already out... Called Tales of Monkey Island, and is episode based (5 episodes, 1st one available now) and apparently only on Steam.

Telltale games (Sam & Max) made it, so I wouldn't expect too much, but hey, they might surprise me.

Was that Strongbad game any good?
I hazn't played it :(

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
I certainly think that the focus for alot of recent games is on online multiplayer.. A handful of recent games are coming shipped with a 5 hour singleplayer and with only really mutiplayer after the first few playthroughts (or even just the first playthrough) such as; COD 5, Halo 3, Gears of War etc. For people who like online multiplayer it's fine, but for those who can't stand it (like me), it's a real shame. Though i wouldn't say singleplayer is just dead, just that the focus has shifted. I feel as if it's becoming a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy; because the focus is on multiplayer, the singleplayer has become shorter, and if the singleplayer is short or lacks replayability then alot of players will go to multiplayer (whom can put up with; the internet community and lack of immersion, exploration and depth) to get the full play out of their game, which means designers have realised that alot of the market is, particularly with consoles players on XBL/PSN.

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
danosaurus said:
Strong Intelligent said:
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
danosaurus said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
WHAT!?!?
LIES!

Was that Strongbad game any good?
I hazn't played it :(
Funny as always, but the puzzles are a little hard.

Also, assuming you watch HR, have you seen the new email, imaginary?