Is This the Leaked Ending of the Next StarCraft 2?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
can you do any better in writing the story? no really, i want to see you try to write this and see if you can do any better in a universe that was conceived and very meticulously crafted

you have to create your OWN universe with its OWN rules and races and whatnot. i wanna see if you can do any better
I really don't understand why people think this is a valid response to criticism. Just because we can't do better doesn't mean we don't have a right to criticize someones work. But for the record, I think that if I had 11 years to dedicate to this and a massive amount of money funding me, yes, I could write a better story.

besides that, the zerg were NOT just retconned as a noble species. nowhere in the lore does it say they were ever bad, just slaves
Which is exactly why suggesting they can be anything but slaves is a massive retcon. Throughout the entire series the Zerg were always being controlled and manipulated. The swarm itself never had any personality beyond being vicious, disgusting, and ruthless. It's the people controlling the swarm that dictate its actions and morals beyond "kill and eat everything".

Think back to the first Starcraft. When a cerebrate was killed, did the zerg it controlled suddenly become a free and happy species? No, they turned into feral animals. Because that's all zerg are without something to control and guide them. Hence why giving them free will makes no sense and feels like a massive contradiction with the rest of the series.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Think back to the first Starcraft. When a cerebrate was killed, did the zerg it controlled suddenly become a free and happy species? No, they turned into feral animals. Because that's all zerg are without something to control and guide them. Hence why giving them free will makes no sense and feels like a massive contradiction with the rest of the series.
What if that Hive Mind is still there, but it's just the Cerebrates that have been freed? Isn't that basically the purpose of the Cerebrate, to think FOR the swarm?

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Korias said:
Internet Kraken said:
What if that Hive Mind is still there, but it's just the Cerebrates that have been freed? Isn't that basically the purpose of the Cerebrate, to think FOR the swarm?
Aren't all of the cerebrates dead though? Kerrigan killed them all, and the one you played as in Brood War was apparently killed sometime between Brood War and Starcraft 2.

Regardless, if the cerebrates controlled the swarm the Zerg wouldn't be any more free than they have ever been, as they would still be under the direct control of another creature. You've pretty much outlined the entire flaw with saying the zerg are free; they aren't supposed to think for themselves. They are designed to have something think for them, to guide the. Otherwise they turn into feral beasts. Hence why freeing the zerg doesn't really make sense.

I'm honestly not sure how the cerebrates would act now though. I thought that because they came from the overmind and were a part of him, and thus thought like him without having to be forced into doing so. So supposedly, any surviving cerebrates would still follow the goals of the overmind even after its death. As exemplified by them trying to rebuild the overmind in Brood War. But apparently the overmind was just a slave to, so who knows what the fuck any of this means now.

Blizzard have really messed up the zerg. I just find it hard to believe that they're trying to say that this;

Is now a good guy. I mean look at it.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Korias said:
Internet Kraken said:
AND THEY DID. THEY CHOSE TO DEVOUR. Never once was it said in SC1 that they were slaves to anything except possibly the overmind which many CHOSE TO GRUDGINGLY OBEY. Suddenly changing what was firmly established is not good resolution or storytelling. Especially if by changing what was established you negate the plot/purpose of the previous games.

OT: I was never interested in buying HotS and now I really don't want to.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Korias said:
One thing that's been kind of not touched on here is that we've only seen a small part of the Zerg - the swarms. Is that all Zerg are? Surely, there have to be some other types of Zerg out there, stuff that isn't so keen on the pew-pew-bash-bash. Take the Cerebrates, for example - they were there to think of solutions on a smaller scale, and are intelligent. Can't they have some sort of role to play? What of the Zerg sample in the Hyperion, which was noted to be evolving at a rapid pace? Couldn't the Zerg eventually evolve some sort of new form that isn't like the rest of the swarm? Have we ever seen anything from the Zerg that isn't completely war-oriented?

Consider whether or not the hyper-evolution of the Zerg may yield some form of culture - and whether or not all the Zerg will follow this evolutionary path. It's likely that there are a large number of Zerg under the control of the Dark Voice, and that's going to be cool too since the Zerg will have quite a civil war on their hands.
Actually the swarms ARE all that the zerg are. the zerg adapted to devour and follow orders, they eat, they grow, they eat, they grow (metaphoricaly speaking). The cerebrates did have a role, they told when, how, where to eat, and what to eat. Not to mention, there are plenty you could argue aren't war oriented (overlords, drones, queens, defilers, larva, etc.) Saying the zerg will form a culture is like saying an anthill will adapt and survive if you kill the queen, because that is literally what they are.

A final point, WE DIDN"T NEED SOMEBODY CALLED THE DARK VOICE TO BE THE VILLAIN. the zerg cerebrates could have had a war against other cerebrates that evolved the zerg differently into different species/evolutions and make them fight against the originals who are still trying to devour everything, you'd get your culture, we wouldn't have to retcon, and we'd get new factions to play as. But thats far more interesting, so they won't do it.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Internet Kraken said:

Kerrigen siad Zerg can be Destroyer of world or something else. Destoryer of world doesn't sound too good to me. She basicly says zerg can choose their fate now with she guiding them to it.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Exort said:
Internet Kraken said:

Kerrigen siad Zerg can be Destroyer of world or something else. Destoryer of world doesn't sound too good to me. She basicly says zerg can choose their fate now with she guiding them to it.
Implying that there's even a possibility of them being good suggest Blizzard is considering it, which is horribly stupid.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
Duran's age and the similarities of his plans to the xel naga implied the zel naga connection of the dark voice long ago. his manipulation of kerrigan hinted that the big bads had no problem manipulating the zerg, so it wasn't that hard to make the leap to "dark voice controls everything". they needed a voice to guide them. that was the overmind and later kerrigan. Kerrigan will lead them after the end of heart of the swarm. Or kerrigan can evolve them a certain way. When Kerrigan said "they are free" she meant that the zerg themselves (or her) make the decisions, not the dark voice.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
oh and by the way, Blizzard confirmed at Blizzcon that the only thing the dark voice changed about the overmind was making it focus entirely on the protoss. If the overmind had had his own way, then the protoss would have been ignnored due to a.) their status as failures that the xel naga ultimately rejected and b.) several key traits that would have made them incompatible with the zerg (their psychic link which is interconnecte yet still allows for a great deal of individuality that was at odds with the zerg's centralized hivemind)

One of the guys at another site said it best
(It was even stated at Blizzcon that the revelations about the Overmind aren't meant to turn it into some kind of good guy or make the zerg out to have been noble. From start to finish, the zerg always the same revenous Swarm driven by the same Overmind's underlying fanatical impetus to forcibly incorporate the strongest species they could find into the Swarm and exterminating those which offered no benefit. The change is that the single-minded, obsessive fixation upon the Protoss specifically was imposed upon the Overmind.

Which in a way it even makes a sinister sense from the beginning, since when one examines it the Protoss shouldn't have even qualified. Based solely upon its instinctive desire to improve the Swarm, one would have actually expected the Overmind to dismiss the Protoss due to its own creators having deemed them a fundamentally failed creation with an impure essence that fell short of the perfection they sought. Not to mention the very nature of psionically communal, yet still individualized Protoss evolution and the Khala is really pretty incompatible with the centralized hivemind of the Swarm.

Really, the greatest strengths of the Protoss are basically opposed by their very nature to that of the zerg. What use would the innately hierarchy-based hivemind of the Swarm have for a communal mind link in which every individual is an equal presence among the whole? The assimilation wouldn't have worked, as to consume them and even remain the zerg Swarm at all would mean not incorporating the very things that gave the Protoss their strength. There's no room for an Overmind in the Khala, because it literally is a linking of independent minds. The Protoss derive much of their evolutionary strength from their particular form of psionic interaction and energy, and that very thing wouldn't really even work within the Swarm.

That's the revelation: rather than simply spreading of its own accord, devouring and assimilating new races as it went to improve the zerg (which it was created to do), the Overmind instead found itself pointed at an impossible goal instigated for the purpose of making sure that the zerg clashed with the Protoss and allowed for other agencies to step in and take over the hybridization of the two. The very fact that the Swarm couldn't even infest Protoss as it could terrans shows that even had it remained alive on Aiur, the Overmind probably never could have successfully assimilated the Protoss as it seemed intent upon doing. Only the intervention of other forces has allowed for the merger of the two, and even then the results are hardly perfect (it's not like there's one ideal Hybrid with the best of both races; one's clearly more Protoss in nature and the other is more like the zerg, as if even the Dark Voice's minions can't really manage a truly balance merger of the two). When it comes down to it, the Xel'Naga themselves are probably the only ones who could effect a true merger of the two races, and so every other attempt is producing imperfectly blended Hybrids that skew one way or the other.

There's no reason to think the Overmind cared what otherwise might become of the terrans or Protoss. It only cared that the zerg were being steered toward slavery and eventual destruction, and wasn't some noble self-sacrificing martyr looking to save the universe. It created Kerrigan expressly to free the zerg and protect the Swarm from the fate it would suffer if left subject to the Fallen One's designs.) there's also the fact that tthe dark voice intended to wipe out the zerg when they were finished. The overmind didn't wish to save the universe. Just the zerg swarm. If he saved the universe in the process, then so be it.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
did you miss the part of how the overmind's motives were purely "save my people, and if i save the galaxy in the process so be it?" Kerrigan's decapitating mengsk was kind of awesome.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Warachia said:
A final point, WE DIDN"T NEED SOMEBODY CALLED THE DARK VOICE TO BE THE VILLAIN. the zerg cerebrates could have had a war against other cerebrates that evolved the zerg differently into different species/evolutions and make them fight against the originals who are still trying to devour everything, you'd get your culture, we wouldn't have to retcon, and we'd get new factions to play as. But thats far more interesting, so they won't do it.
Hmm I actually like this idea. Maybe if Blizzard increases or drops the mapsize limit, some community group could ret-con what doesn't work in Starcraft 2 and have a sort of 'alternate history' version of the story as a mod. Even if it's not official, it can still end up happening.

The whole situation though is why I really disliked the Zeratul portion of the game; it just kept spitting in the face of lore and came off as a fanfic. Some disagree, but that's how I feel about it. The rest of the story I didn't have much issue with (although the Zerg are noticeably less threatening as a whole, and the dark/horror aspect is gone but they said it'll be back), so I will be getting Heart of the Swarm. However, I'm getting increasingly worried that the final outcome will be an overall disappointment.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
honestly, the bigger bads and the corruption of the zerg where somewhat foreshadowed in brood war (duran manipulating kerrigan, being really ancient, and serving a higher power). Honestly, kerrigan as a villian is spent. If she walks the road to redemption there are far more ideas that can be done. Zeratul flat out states that "justice demands that she die for her crimes", so Raynor's victory in Wings of Liberty is only temporary. He saved Kerrigan from the Zerg; now, he needs to save her not only from the people who want her to pay, but he also needs to save her from herself.

If you thing about it

1.) People will still want her to pay for her crimes
2.) She will have to come to terms with her guilt over the atrocities she committed
3.) She has to free the zerg from the dark voice
4.) She still has to save the universe
5.) She stilll needs overcome the darkness in her soul (all the conditioning did was weaken her empathy, morality, and compassion to the point where she could freely go hog wild with her darker instincts).

Aside from Jim Raynor and Zeratul (who only began to believe she could be saved due to the prophecy) Kerrigan is alone in the universe. Hell, she'll be even lonelier the raynor ever was.

If Blizzard plays it's cards right, those elements can create a genuinely poignant and compelling redemption story. Then again, I am kind of a sucker for redemption stories.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
exactly. kerrigan will give them free will, so that they can make their own path. As i said, if blizzard plays it's cards right, they can create a genuinely compelling tale of redemption.