Is UK work ethic different from US work ethic?

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Susurrus said:
So I can only speak for law, but:
- In the UK, corporate lawyers end up working scary amounts of hours - its not uncommon to have to be in past midnight, or even pull all-nighters. Having said that, from what I hear from friends I have who have worked in New York, it's even more common over there, AND they get less holiday and routinely work weekends as well.
How can anyone live like that?

revjor said:
Having worked ina. Few food service places that's not really true. Owning a restaurant is a real good way to not make a lot of money. Very very few restaurant owners will ever "make off like bandits" even if everything goes well.
How very strange, in the Netherlands most restaurant owners make quite a decent living, even though they pay their workers a fair wage.

Working for two bucks a hour... that is a slave wage. You lot should stand up for your rights.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Yes it's different, but it's far worse in France, shops close in the early evening, everything stops on a Sunday.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Bassik said:
Susurrus said:
So I can only speak for law, but:
- In the UK, corporate lawyers end up working scary amounts of hours - its not uncommon to have to be in past midnight, or even pull all-nighters. Having said that, from what I hear from friends I have who have worked in New York, it's even more common over there, AND they get less holiday and routinely work weekends as well.
How can anyone live like that?
Well, it's well paid, you get time off in lieu when things are quiet (at least in the UK), and it's a bit of a challenge. But law in the US? I'm not sure, really.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
It varies I guess. There are a lot of lazy people out there, in all countries. But work ethic can spread. I mean, look at me, posting gibberish on The Escapist when I should be working, but...

I've worked here for 13 years and this company has never fulfilled a promise of further education, promotion, or anything since I've been here. My assistant just retired and due to financial restrictions they aren't replacing her, they have cancelled the training I asked for 6 years ago, no pay increase in 3 years, I get a lecture everytime I ask for a holiday, and I'm over-worked at the best of times. So these days I say fuck them all. I already told my boss to get used to things not happening, if they can't replace people, train people, or show appreciation and provide what they promised, then they get nothing extra from me. Fuck them.
The straw that broke the camels back... I get home from work, and 30 minutes later I get a call - total powercut at work, servers all screwed up, so I have to come back in. Takes 30 minutes to get there, takes 29 minutes to get everything working, then another 30 minutes to get home. But alas, I'm not entitled to any overtime or call-out, because I was in for less than 30 minutes, and that's the minimum they will process.

That rant doesn't represent my usual work ethic - I've worked through summer vacations to get projects completed, worked countless hours of unpaid overtime, I cover 3 other employees holidays, and on top of that I'm an indi developer, working an extra 25+ hours a week doing that. My work ethic is fine, it's the bullshit companies full of managers who can barely keep their eyes open most of the time, who need to get a fricken grip.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Well I'm from the UK, and I'd say that we seem to have an attitude of "live for the weekend", where a job is merely 9-5, 5 days a week. While there's nothing wrong with that (And I foresee my dream job requiring me to give a lot more), I'd also suggest it's hard to get a grip on the UK's work ethic, with a lot of areas struggling with unemployment. I'm sure many people would work hard, if they had the jobs to do so.

It's exceedingly difficult to get excited and pumped about a dead end job, that's unlikely to ever lead anywhere. We don't have a version of 'The American Dream'. A lot of families just have to make enough money to get by at the moment sadly.

Just for some background, at the moment I'm a student and I have plenty of student loans at the moment. I've got a job lined up for when I head back to University working in the Library 2 hours a day (not including paid overtime), 5 days a week (So a 10 hour week + University work). The money I get from work will just cover my living costs. So I guess that's a fairly good work ethic, seeing as many students at my University don't even want a job.

I'm debating trying to get a job at the local supermarket though. While that'll be more hours, and so more work, I'm unsure how it will impact my studying. Plus, working in the library will look better on my CV for future jobs, yet will supply me with less hours in the long run. It's a dilema.