Is Yahtzee a noob?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ive just started dark souls...

I havnt found it too bad but I know Ive bearly screatched the surface, I think the right mindset is very important

I got dark souls (against my better judgement) because I think genally Im not very good at games (excpet mass effect 2 Im pro at that) so I wanted to see how far I could really push myself

also question, whats the point in having your starting class as the "deprived" (girl/guy in your underware) is that just for the super hardcore psychos?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Netrigan said:
The twin engines of video game enjoyment are exploration and mastery.

For those who competitive gaming, mastery is going to be the prime motivator. Yahtzee is not one of those people.He's someone who enjoys exploring a game world, constantly looking for new experiences. He's driven by exploration.

I understand where he's coming from, because I share a lot of his basic biases. I can play and enjoy multi-player... for a while. It's certainly fun, but there comes a point where playing the same map over and over again gets old and I want to go do something else.
I think this has to be the best response I've seen up til now. One thing that's kinda disappointed me on any of Yahtzee's criticism is that he really seems to lack any interest in the competitive aspect of gameplay. For instance he recently trashed Gears of War 3, which has to be one of the most well polished 3rd person shooters ever made. But he doesn't like chest high walls and claims the game's no fun. Fine! If he doesn't like cover base shooting he doesn't like cover base shooting.

If the man likes games for there exploration I've fine with that. And as for why I was so blatant to call the man out as a noob? Well the asshole side of me found it humorous to do so...XP

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Whatever your opinion of Yahtzee, I don't think 'newb' is a valid criticism. He's obviously an old-school gamer who knows his shit, and therefore not a 'newb'.

Nomanslander said:
If the man likes games for there exploration I've fine with that. And as for why I was so blatant to call the man out as a noob? Well the asshole side of me found it humorous to do so...XP
So... you pretty much admit to trolling then?

[EDIT]
And with the username 'slander', why am I surprised...?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
aretelio said:
Are people still running around calling each other 'newbs' or 'noobs'? Seriously? I would've thought that those terms would've been replaced by shiny new ones by now. Christ, am I old.
I know, right? I thought that term was old and dated a decade ago, and yet here we are.

Is this like a hipster revival thing, like what happened with the '80s? Did this passe trend of olden times fall out of favour, only to swing back into fashion again? Is this like one of those "remakes"?

dday4you

Jun 11, 2008
i'm pretty sure that someone who makes a living off playing and reviewing games are better than gaming than most of us. ITS HIS JOB. THIS IS HOW HE MAKES A LIVING. and why are you trying to guess what game he reviews anyways? he can review whatever the hell he likes. do you realise how difficult it is for him to make a video every week? expecially when those videos are game reviews AND IT TAKES TIME TO PLAY GAMES. what a troll

Amos the famous

Jan 23, 2011
I think that in the coming weeks/months when/if he reviews BF3 he'll try multiplayer. Everyone knows that all the work went into the multiplayer and that the story was done just cause the developers could. There's a reason why the multiplayer is disk 1. Knowing Yatzee he'll troll and just go and do the story and be as arrogant as he usually is.
I think Yatzee's reviews are more for comedic value than anything. I find him humorous and thats why i watch.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Carnagath said:
1) I really disagree with this. Rarity of resources is not the only characteristic of a survival horror game, it's got more to do with how dangerous the environment is at all times and the player's feeling that the odds are overwhelming against them instead of them kicking ass. It's not something that depends on mechanics alone, but on the overall effect of the gameplay on the player's mentality, and I can't think of any recent games other than DS and STALKER where that is more obvious.
STALKER is survival horror?

Huh, I failed to notice as I cut my way through swathes of enemies.
I'm mainly referring to CoP, since that's the one I played the most, unmodded and without cheating or using the console to summon weapons and items. If you played it on anything above STALKER difficulty and cut your way through swathes of enemies before Tier 3 upgrades, which are at the end of the game, then you must be some sort of wizard!

snow

Jan 14, 2010
LittleBlondeGoth said:
I agree with that fully. When I was younger, I used to think co-op was a joke and that running solo in some fps game to top the scoreboard time and time again was the only way to do multiplayer, but as I got older,I've come to realize just how truly boring that is. Every time I do step into a "competitive" multiplayer environment, I end up playing for about a half hour before I feel the need to move onto something that my friends and I can enjoy together.

The mere joy of accomplishment amongst a group is way more fulfilling than being the hero of the team and being the only one to feel the glory. It just feels better to be able to share that victory with others, especially after a severely tough spot in the game. Those are moments that stay with you, where as that victorious feeling you get from stomping public servers in Generic Brown War Battle Duty Honor 7 is forgotten in between loading screens.

As for Yahtzee.

"He never even attempts to objectively look into MP heavy games." He doesn't have too. It's severely easy to please the 13-17 year old crowd by offering them a game where they hand you a gun and allow you to shoot at other players who also have guns. Take MW2 for example, the multiplayer in that game was one of the most broken experiences I've ever faced, yet people still flocked to it. Even a grand majority of those swearing off the game in that funny little boycott ended up playing it religiously the day it came out.

You have to realize that he's an older gamer, and thus does not get the same thrill the younger crowd gets when they kill another player in a competitive environment. So games that are heavily based around that setting are hard for him to take seriously because developers threw all their money at that particular portion of the game and left the single player (if there was any) rotting and forgotten.

Then there's co-op. It seems like something that should be right up his alley, but he's stated before that he does not prefer to rely on others, so what does that leave? Single player.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Nomanslander said:
tehweave said:
Isn't it:

Newb = Someone who is new to a game and doesn't understand it quite yet.
Noob = An insult you hurl at a player who is acting like a total douche.
That's right, and as for that whole douche part, we are talking about Yahtzee here you know, and he's had it coming for a lonnnngggg time...lol
I wouldn't say he's a douche. I am pointing out the correct usage of the two words. Yahtzee is probably a newb at most games, but I wouldn't call him a noob.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
No one is a master of every genre, so he is entitled to be a "noob" on some of them. However, the points he makes about Demon's Souls are pretty valid.

ryanthemadman

Nov 5, 2010
TestECull said:
I don't think he's a noob. I also don't think he'll be touching Dark Souls, he'll most likely be slaughtering BF3 and absolutely infuriating it's rabid fanbase.

And it will be lulz.
me too!!! especially since all of my friends have been masturbating to it here recently and how i give no fucks about that game seeing as i do not have xbox live and do not play much multiplayer anyway

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I don't think complaining about Demon's soul being difficult is a Noob thing to do when it's meant to be difficult, and you're really stretching it when you say that his dislike of multiplayer means he's not good at it, I only ever play multiplayer with my friends, because I don't like Multiplayer much, but I'm not bad at it.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I don't think he's a particularly open minded fellow and I don't particularly respect the guy.

I don't know if I would use those terms to describe him, though. He does seem like he isn't exactly interested in the more untreaded corners of gaming. And comes off as more the "new gaming audience" than the type of gaming I grew up on and love.

Of course, I don't know a whole lot about Yahtzee. What little of the person I have been exposed to did not leave me with a feeling of wanting more. I'm not into that type of comedy, and especially not from that kind of angle and bias as Yahtzee has. Or what I've seen, at least. And that's exactly what I think Yahtzee should be seen as.

And honestly, I don't understand why people care much about that person's opinion on things. As to create walls of text such as exist in this thread. I find Yahtzee to be a terrible uninteresting and trivial person that adds little of note to the gaming world.