Is your online persona the same on every website?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well, due to the natural restrictions and the general userbase of this site, I don't do as much petty arguing and don't make joke comments as often. But generally I'm pretty reserved, polite, passive aggressive if need be. Youtube is a bit more hands-off, but I am myself. Probably helps that I only comment regularly on about 3 sites. I don't really post on dA, except to say thanks for watchers or appreciate a particularly good mech.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'm generally a bit more sarcastic and snide on Youtube, because that's pretty much the atmosphere of the site and nobody pays attention to you otherwise. Also because there are way more idiots to be sarcastic towards.

I can't think of any other sites I frequent enough to have a real personality on.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
In basic, yes; it doesn't seem that way to most, however, mostly because I'm more willing to be patient and polite when I have at least a better than 50% chance of a neutrally stated opinion not being immediately taken as an assault on another person's viewpoint which must be defended against with haste and vitriol.

This is why I am unashamedly to the point with my opinion on Yahoo, after my first aforementioned neutral post on an article. I can be subtle and polite and some people can misconstrue my message, or I can be direct and call out logical fallacies as they appear without any pity towards the people committing them. The latter is less ambiguous...more inflammatory, if only for pointing out the logical flaws in arguments directly, but certainly less ambiguous.

In short, I give people one chance to approach me without resorting to logical fallacies to defend their position; those who cannot are subject to incisiveness and being called out on their flaws for all to see. I'm unlikeable only after I've people a chance to debate like adults and they've blown it.

Captcha: LOL cat

Yes, Captcha, it means about as much in the end.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
I've had this exact same screen name for over 10 years now. On damn near every site.. ever..

It started in high school, when I was tired as hell, and had nothing better to do than to make a Neopets account. I was so tired that I spelled omegaweapon wrong, and didn't notice it for three days. I've kept it though, as the minor misspelling ensures its uniqueness across the web. The only other time it was taken was on AOL, though I don't really use AIM anymore, so I don't care. Even my avatar tends to be the same, cross websites.

I'm always acting just like me. I have a really wonky sense of humor that walks over peoples head casually, while whistling a sweet country tune. Sounds about right.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Like many people here, I use the same account name just about everywhere, maybe putting a specific number at the end if Blue Rabbit is already taken. So, what you see is pretty much what you get. A slightly sarcastic joker that will try to be respectful unless you attack me first, or you're being a generally hateful douche-nozzle/complete moron (aka about 2/3 of the people commenting on Yahoo), and even then I try to keep it playfully snide as opposed to outright hostile.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm a bit more well behaved on DeviantART. I'm sensitive about my own work, so I grant other artists the same courtesy.

On the Escapist I let my opinions flow freely.

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
nope. on tumblr i'm butch from the tunnel snakes, on here i'm a joke about mgs3 where you have to fight a sniper but instead use a shotgun (it might be a reference to an lp of mgs3 where this lper wanted to use the shotgun but did not, who also found the sniper but didn't know how to use it. that guy was retarded), and on skype i'm myself.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
My personality remains consistent in every forum, online game, etc I take part of. I just wouldn't feel comfortable being any other way.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I try to keep the same nick if i can, sometimes its taken, at which case i get furiuos (ban this strazdas and let me be one kind of furiuos).
as for the persona, i have none, i just be myself. and that has gotten me into trouble in some places.
like me being on probation on this very site.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I'm pretty much the same on every forum and in every game. Specific rules for certain sites/games excluded of course.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I wasn't aware I even had an online persona. I don't put on some fake personality for the internet. I am still just myself.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a deal less forceful on other forums, ones that are just based around mutual interests rather than topics to get passionate about.

I hope those I've encountered in R & P know I bear them no ill will.

Sir Razorback

Jun 13, 2013
I pretty much just use the golden rule of forum posting. "Don't be an asshat". As for my handle, I've used this, or slight variances of, for years. Amusingly enough, I've never actually ran into anyone actively using 'Razorback' on a forum the same time I am. If it was already registered, that person always seems to have left the building before I got there. Wonder if that'll be the case here or not.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
On any given site, as in real life, I don't speak up often, and when I do I'm usually a sarcastic asshole.

Except for TV Tropes. There I'm "that annoying kid who keeps making intentionally absurd WMGs that just barely justify themselves via the program note."

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Caiphus said:
Jinxzy said:
But all in all I'm a friendly easy going person that just likes to have fun.
How...cute... *twitches*

I think I need to go look at R&P for a bit after that.
"likes to have fun" is one of those twitchy comments.

It's a redundant statement... because "fun" is doing something that you like.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I've had the same name since the internet became a thing, so quite a while now. I've been Miyenne on dozens or more online communities, on all mmos I've played, role playing chatrooms back in the old days, my twitter's under Miyenne, pretty much everywhere.

So yeah, my personality's the same everywhere. And I get unnecessarily angry if Miyenne is already taken in a game or somewhere else. It's been my identity for more than half my life (15+ years).

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Depends on how many friends I have on a site. Like I'm a lot more reserved on here and most places, but on places like Chatango I'm more willing to joke around.

Then there's DC Universe Online, where all my chat text is composed of ice puns.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
My general online persona that never tends to change is as follows:

- Greasy, spotty, "elitist" PC gamer
- Raging Google fanboy
- Raging Apple hater
- Mostly a hater of MS, except for Windows (Windows 8 is actually a good OS)
- Most anti whoever/whatever is anti-Google
- Pro anything that's open/open-source (Linux, for example)

Now, how I go about articulating my stances varies from site to site. On a less respectable tech blog like The Verge or Engadget, I'll just go all out douche on people. On a better site like Ars Technica, where I know reasonable conversation happens, I'll be nicer, more diplomatic, etc.

On the Escapist I tend to try and keep things nice, until the occasional silly-person rears their head, and even then they get a three-strike rule.

On technology sites where I'm in a position to give advice, etc. I'm usually a nice person, as I do rather enjoy helping others solve their tech problems.

To conclude. I'm hated on some sites, liked on others. The sites I'm liked on are the ones I actually care about. Which is why I do hope I'm generally liked on here. Though nobody seems to know me properly.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I carry a similar attitude but if I build up a history that will likely define me. There was one forum where I was an outspoken detractor of the politics going on. On another, I'm essentially treated like an expert because of how thorough, lengthy, and reason/logic based my arguments are, but also as a hardass because I'm unrelentingly honest. On here... well, almost no one's responded to my posts in ages so I haven't really gotten to do much on here.