Is your online persona the same on every website?

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
I kinda behave everywhere the same way. If I feel like I have to change to receive any fun from the page I'm at, I leave, sooner or later.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
I wasn't aware I even had an online persona. I don't put on some fake personality for the internet. I am still just myself.
That's basically me, I try to be myself wherever I am. My username is usually Rico, RicoADF or Australis Rico (or a varient of), basically it depends on weather Rico is taken :p

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I'm the same on tech/news/game sites.
Sometimes your user name is your login so it saves a lot of hassle.

My youtube is different.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I always act the same online... and it is the same as I act in real life!

In fact when I type in a forum like this, I literally just type what I am thinking, as if I was saying it, and rarely change it! If I do change it then it tends to sound too formal, and a bit strange, so I just go with the flow to make it sound better!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I pretty much act the same on all sites that I'm a member of. Though I'm nowhere near as active on any of those sites as I am here.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'm the same everywhere I would say, only time I'm different is when I'm at work or talking to people I don't know, then I'm really polite and quiet.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I don't know.
Maybe?

I confess I don;t really keep track, so probably the same everywhere.

Just my exaggeratory, occasionally acerbic, with brief moments of clarity self.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I don't really frequent other sites apart from this one and social media sites.
The other ones I occasionally use, I act exactly the same. What's the point in acting differently?
I have trolled people on Chatroullete with a friend for fun and got into arguments with people on some sites through their Facebook feed a few times which is about it.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I'm pretty much the same online and in real life.

The difference being that in real life people usually don't like it when I go into long-winded self-righteous rants about video games. So I save those for the internet :)

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I always have names completely different and post on completely different topics per profile.
As for personality, I tend to try to be as nice as possible, until I get too annoyed and get sarcastic.

Dec 16, 2009
I tend to act similar to i do in RL .
Don't see the point in alter egos, I'm pretty tolerant, &just block arseholes. Also I'm always Mr Ink 5000

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
sky14kemea said:
I'm a lot more spammy and laid back on social media though, especially if I'm sleep deprived.
You must be sleep deprived quite a lot, then. #OhSnap! #Burn #Pwnage

In all seriousness, I'm relatively consistent everywhere I go, internet-wise.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not really sure what my "persona" is like on here. I'm not sure if I'm the same here as I am IRL. I mean, I think I am, but the very nature of text-based communication and the relative anonymity I am afforded here probably make me a little bit more tactless. Maybe. Maybe the fact that I can double-check what I'm saying makes me more tactful?

I'm pretty much the same here as everywhere else, I think. Except when I used to hang out on 4chan and just joined the hive for the fuck of it. There's almost no chance of any reasonable discussion in most of the boards I went in (/v/ and /b/ mostly) so I thought "fuck it" and joined the stupidity. I think that's what most people do their; it's fun to act like an idiot without consequences sometimes.

I understand some of the other boards can be a bit more reasonable, though. What I've seen of /mu/ isn't too bad.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
YouTube is probably how I vent pure, diskishness that I can't use on the kind of obvious trolls that post here after being a member for a whole day and get banned shortly after

I'm much more pleasant on my knowyourmeme account but the whole atmosphere of the site in general is pretty pleasant because there isn't a whole lot to argue about other than "is this a meme?" which quickly responded with "maybe. Lets wait and see". If anyone tries to start a flame war on a current event article it usually doesn't get too heated and often people delete their comments after the fact

I guess I'm more close to this account because I'm addicted to sarcasm but I'm generally polite until people push my buttons

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Headsprouter said:
Youtube: I try to talk to people. Listen, NEVER EVER try to explain that an anencaphalic baby is medically dead on YouTube! People freak out!
My face when I read this

Yes... I'll be sure to avoid that...

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I mostly stay the same unless I'm going for trolling, in which case I mix it up depending on what I feel causes the most havoc.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
No, I'm probably the nicest while I'm on here. XD Or the rare cases when I want to get to know someone on a different website. It doesn't say much, but considering that I go to 4chan to hate on christians, americans, etc. I'm actually pretty decent here. I have a FB, but I barely use it for anything else than spamming music videos and liking stuff, so I remember what I've watched before.

I wouldn't say that I'm the closest to my real life self here. Quite a lot of people think I'm a girl for one, but I do have a few friends on this site, who does know what I'm really like.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Yep, the intention of most of my posts are to give my opinion on things, usually video games, in a way that is hard to argue with. I like to think i take the time to explain and give evidence enough on subjects that instead of getting angry replies, people agree with me instead.

The only difference here is that i end up chiming in on random political topics because it doesn't happen anywhere else i go.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i always have been, and always will be myself. i don't consider nor apply the anonymity of the net as something to use as cover from which to throw shit.

Andy Farren

Jan 22, 2013
I am much, much ruder to my own mother than I am to people on most forums. At least she's used to it, I guess.