IT 2017 reviews are coming out...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
And looking...mostly positive so far?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/it_2017/ 92%

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1396484/ 8.6/10

[small]Both aggregate scores subject to the whims of change, but not by me because I'm not going to keep updating this damn thing without pay.[/small]

Back in 1986, when Stephen King first wrote It, his seminal 1,138-page horror epic about a clown-demon terrorising a small New England town, he probably wasn't thinking about search engine optimisation. Pity, then, the poor studio marketers hoping to gain Google ranking traction on a widely used third person singular pronoun. But, as it turns out, the Warner Bros. marketing team needn't have worried: as that record-breaking trailer attests, Pennywise The Dancing Clown holds a deep-seated cultural cachet, and this latest adaptation from Mama director Andy Muschietti meets that huge expectation like a perma-grinning demon meeting an unsuspecting victim.

This is emphatically not the Tim Curry-starring made-for-TV adaptation from 1990. There are deferential little nods here and there - a likeness of Curry's costume can be glimpsed in one scene, and the iconic opening sequence, with the paper boat of doom, seems nearly identical - but Muschietti's version feels distinct, discarding the back-and-forth timelines for a straightforwardly linear story (the grown-up portion of the story reserved for a potential sequel), wisely dispensing with the book's bizarre pre-teen orgy, and shifting things along by 30 years or so, from the original '50s setting to the more Amblin-esque '80s.

The result: a coming-of-age yarn not unlike a horror-inflected jumble of The Goonies and E.T. (plus, inevitably, Stand By Me - another King adaptation). Which means the kids are important, and Muschietti is patient enough to devote precious screentime establishing each member of the Losers' Club and their respective dysfunctional lives. There's a lot of exposition to get through, but each of the seven losers gets their due, and the result is a truly well-rounded ensemble, as awkward and romantic as they are foul-mouthed and funny. Credit must go to the young cast, among whom there is no single weak link; it's as authentic a portrayal of children staring down the barrel of adolescence as you're ever likely to see.

Crucially, the personal strifes that each of the Losers face, from hypochondriac mothers to sexually abusive fathers, are filmed with just as much menace and horror as the supernatural scenes, and are arguably more disturbing. This is It's great strength: it wants you to care about these loser kids, invites you to share in their deep angst, and bolsters the facing-your-fears allegory by being, fundamentally, a human drama first and a supernatural horror second.

Which is not to say It disregards It. Just as Tim Curry's larger-than-life performance anchored the 1990 version, so Bill Skarsgard proves the centrepiece of the 2017 vintage. Like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Pennywise is generally used carefully and sparingly, and is all the more powerful for it. With his cracked porcelain forehead, mucky Victorian scruff and giant protruding bottom lip, this Pennywise is a triumph of make-up and design as much as anything else - but despite his minimal screen time shared with prosthetic artists and CGI compositors, Skarsgard leaves a hell of an impression. His performance is full of strange nuance and wit, with subtle touches - like a fine trickle of drool hanging forebodingly from his mouth - making this interpretation more fascinatingly entertaining than truly disturbing.

How scary is It? That depends on your horror threshold. Seemingly oblivious to any recent trends in the genre, Muschietti seems content to go with the most straightforward horror tropes, opting for jump scares, whip pans and Psycho strings from composer Benjamin Wallfisch. There's nothing wrong with a cliche if it's executed well, and some of the practical effects are executed astonishingly well - most notably, a nuclear-level explosion of blood, acting as a brilliantly unsubtle puberty metaphor. Only occasionally does the film struggle to escape the sort of easily-avoidable peril that Scream mocked - as when the gang merrily wander into a haunted house, and are surprised to find it haunted.

If the horror sequences sometimes feel obvious, it's perhaps because King deliberately leaned on those tropes. It's power to scare, ultimately, is not as strong as its power to evoke the joys, confusions and fears of childhood, or its power to leave you wanting more. In a cinematic landscape weighed down by increasingly unnecessary franchises, you'll leave It desperate for a sequel - something of which a marketing department charged with promoting a two-lettered film could only have dreamed.

More successful as a coming-of-age movie than a horror, It still ranks among the better Stephen King adaptations ? no small praise indeed.

Edit: accents don't work here, I forget. Sorry! Changes made.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/stephen-king-2017/review/

So, has anybody got plans to see this? What do you think of the original and/or the book?
Personally, I...haven't seen or read either yet, somehow the only person to have failed in that. But am quite highly interested in this.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm very curious, but I feel like they've...missed the point of Pennywise? He wasn't supposed to be scary. At least not so...blatantly. He was supposed to be a funny, loving, joke telling, scene stealing goofy clown...who just happens to eat children.
He's not supposed to be scary the first time, and the kids are supposed to think he's funny until he's really not.

But I saw a clip of the scene where he has the boat and the little bro is all 'Oh hey, its a horrible killer clown! That's not good!' when he should be giggling his pants off, 'cause there's a puntastic clown telling jokes.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Maybe they're just bowing to the zeitgeist that clowns are scary?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Looking forward to this.

I liked the novel, but I'm actually a bigger fan of the mini series (except the ending of both, but whatever).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
altnameJag said:
But its supposed to be set in the 1950s, before said zeitgeist was a thing! These kids aren't supposed to have access to creepy-pasta and Killer Clowns from Outerspace.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silentpony said:
altnameJag said:
But its supposed to be set in the 1950s, before said zeitgeist was a thing! These kids aren't supposed to have access to creepy-pasta and Killer Clowns from Outerspace.
1980s for this one (it does say in the OP). Must it be constricted to a previous performance? Sounds like another Mark Hamill's Joker.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Silentpony said:
altnameJag said:
1980s for this one (it does say in the OP). Must it be constricted to a previous performance? Sounds like another Mark Hamill's Joker.
Constricted?! To the source material?! Yeah, probably a good idea. The book is set alternatively in the 50s where they're kids, and the 80s when they're slightly bigger, hairier kids.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silentpony said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Silentpony said:
altnameJag said:
Constricted?! To the source material?! Yeah, probably a good idea. The book is set alternatively in the 50s where they're kids, and the 80s when they're slightly bigger, hairier kids.

Either you've never experienced an adaptation before or you're being needlessly begrudging towards anything new, like my grandad was before his untimely, unfortunate and grisly death.
Also, this adaptation is focusing solely on the kid timeline, which is definitely explained in the OP. Do you ever read these things before posting dismissively?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Not dismissive. But its bonkers to think the 1950s part was from a previous performance, when its central to the original story. Its in the book, which the 1990s movie took its source from.
Its like saying 'Oh sure, have the Shawshank Redemption take place in a prison! How repetitive and cliche!'

Adaptions yadda yadda, who cares. Set it in whatever retro time period your audience thinks is retro. But the book being set in the 1905s and the movie being set in the 1950s wasn't a fluke or coincidence.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
I'm very curious, but I feel like they've...missed the point of Pennywise? He wasn't supposed to be scary. At least not so...blatantly. He was supposed to be a funny, loving, joke telling, scene stealing goofy clown...who just happens to eat children.
He's not supposed to be scary the first time, and the kids are supposed to think he's funny until he's really not.

But I saw a clip of the scene where he has the boat and the little bro is all 'Oh hey, its a horrible killer clown! That's not good!' when he should be giggling his pants off, 'cause there's a puntastic clown telling jokes.
Well if that's the case, then the original movie with Tim Curry got it wrong too. He was always creepy as hell.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
Silentpony said:

Well if that's the case, then the original movie with Tim Curry got it wrong too. He was always creepy as hell.
Oh come on! He was hysterical!
The dude may have been a child eating space spider, but he was the best ham and cheese sammich of the 90s!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Silentpony said:
Yeah. I like how Pennywise's expression could change on a dime. That was the biggest strength of the original. One moment he looked like this harmless doofus and then the next moment he could look like something genuinely terrifying crept into him.

The new It looks way too stylized and slick to be even remotely scary in my opinion. Pennywise looks like the cliche scary clown. There is no mystery or ambiguity to the character anymore or anything that gave the original It such an atmosphere of lingering dread and anxiety.

The new It looks like the typical high-budget overproduced crap though I haven't seen it yet so ofcourse it can still surprise. :p

Scarytown_v1legacy

Mar 24, 2017
Silentpony said:

I've read the book two times and from what I recall Pennywise really only does the whole nice clown thing once maybe twice. Most of the time he just cuts out the middle man and goes for pure terror right off the bat. He only really chooses a clown form because clowns are just unsettling as is. With that being said, I agree that the preview made his encounter with Georgie waaaaay to blatant on the horror front. I'll make a full judgement when I see the movie this weekend.

Silentpony said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Not dismissive. But its bonkers to think the 1950s part was from a previous performance, when its central to the original story. Its in the book, which the 1990s movie took its source from.
Its like saying 'Oh sure, have the Shawshank Redemption take place in a prison! How repetitive and cliche!'

Adaptions yadda yadda, who cares. Set it in whatever retro time period your audience thinks is retro. But the book being set in the 1905s and the movie being set in the 1950s wasn't a fluke or coincidence.
I don't think that it being set in the late 1950's had a whole bunch of bearing in the book other then it was written in the early 80's and didn't have a lot of time periods to use. For the most part I think it being now set in the 80's now is still close enough to the late 50's/60's in terms of technology to be able to keep the story one to one. Just my opinion though.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
The problem, it seems, is that you're expecting a redo of the 'original' acted version. In the books, Pennywise is only non-threatening peripherally (To people uninvolved in whats going on, mostly adults) or to the lunatics that Pennywise frequently manipulates to set up the tragedies that occur (Most of which are already so bonkers that they wouldn't recognize their own toes, let alone the monster that is Pennywise). To everyone else, he's almost always instantly recognized for what he is - something creepy at best, and murderous at worst. Even the first toddler he kills in the book is wary of him at first glance, and has to be convinced he's not dangerous (Which he is).

In short, Pennywise spends the majority of his time monstrous, and it's actually an exception when he's not.

BreakfastMan said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
But does it have the pre-teen orgy, though?
No, I read they explicitly called out that they didn't put that in this version.
Say it ain't so! I wonder where all those people who complain about 'media censorship' are now. Probably too busy bitching about a titty being covered to come champion this cause.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
crimsonshrouds said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I have never read It or watched its adaptions. Please tell me this is a joke?
Nope.

In the context of the book, it makes more sense. I mean, it's still gross, and I don't know how much paint thinner King was huffing at the time to make it seem like a good idea, but it makes more sense.

EDIT: If it makes a difference, its not so much an orgy as it is a train. I mean, it's doesn't really make a difference, but it is what it is.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
No, I read they explicitly called out that they didn't put that in this version.
And here I was getting my hopes up.

crimsonshrouds said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I have never read It or watched its adaptions. Please tell me this is a joke?
I'm being dead serious. So, the story is, when they were, like, 11 years old they had their first encounter with the monster in the sewers of their town. And... I don't remember it perfectly but their was this part where they had to strengthen their bond, right? And there was one girl among them. So the story is, the girl let them take turns dicking her down in the sewers and after this heartwarming rite of passage they could finally get out.

It was one of the most batshit insane and utterly disturbing sections in Stephen Kings entire work, simply because there seemed to be absoluty no awareness at all on King's part how fucked up it was what he was writing. For some inexplicable reasons all adaptations left that part out though I couod hardly think of a scene more deserving to be adapted to the big screen.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
I am a little worried about the personality of Pennywise compared to the Tim Curry version. The best thing about Steven King is that particular villain type he has. That cocky, arrogant, monster type. E.G Leland Gaunt, Barlow and Straker, Mr. Grey, etc. I think Tim Curry captured that better than the new guy has. But I'll have to wait and see.