It has begun.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Esotera said:
http://imgur.com/qTpM5

Is a really easy way to circumvent it if you very much need to use wikipedia today. Would write a script if it was any longer.
So, we should just read the source code for now?
I can live with that (for 24 hours at least).
Or disable javascript. There are loads of other ways to get round it.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
google still works for me. Guess the might have only shut down the US site. Maybe they'll change that later though.
Facebook is down though. Win. Let the chaos commence.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Nyaoku said:
Google changed the logo.
What's happened to the Google logo? Or do I have to be in the states to see that?

On a side note, it's a slightly frustrating day to be on the web as a non-American. Going to sites I like and being faced with huge banners with "STOP SOPA!!! WRITE TO YOUR SENATOR!!!!!!"

It's like they're judging me for doing nothing. _>

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
GriffinStallion said:
Brad Shepard said:
4chan is blacking out as well

vg cats is blacked out

More to come people.
4chan didn't black out, but moot felt like being a dick and blacked out all the text.
I see stop SOPA stuff everywhere, its a partial blackout to get people off there butts to do something.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
GriffinStallion said:
Brad Shepard said:
4chan is blacking out as well

vg cats is blacked out

More to come people.
4chan didn't black out, but moot felt like being a dick and blacked out all the text.
just saw the spoony experiment site too.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Esotera said:
http://imgur.com/qTpM5

Is a really easy way to circumvent it if you very much need to use wikipedia today. Would write a script if it was any longer.

Tomorrow should be quite interesting to see how much back-pedalling the politicians do.
I love how the image tries to seem so special when Wikipedia themselves provide ways around the blackout if you really want.
Oh, and Imugr is now down, which means no-one can see the image. HA!
OT: Reddit, explosm, 4chan, Wikipedia, Imugr, Google (kinda), Surviving The World and xkcd made comics about it. The amount of people doing this is fantastic. I'm surprised Escapist has done nothing. I didn't expect them to go dark or anything, since everyone who visits this site already knows about SOPA, but I was sort of expecting some kind of gesture in support of those sites that are going down.
FamoFunk said:
A way to get passed Wiki's Blackout has been tending on Twitter. It does work too, which is such a shame.
Like I said above, Wikipedia itself tells you how. But it still works to raise awareness, so winner.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Mako SOLDIER said:
brunothepig said:
Ohhh, I didn't realise xD

Kinda defeats the point I find, I mean, some people won't really see SOPA as a bad thing because they can still get on one of the biggest sites on the internet.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
And now the escapist has a black background, and bars over the logo.
I kind of like the background. Easier on the eyes.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
We really don't need seven hundred topics about this.

We also don't need to act like Wikipedia and Google have turned off our routers and rendered the internet unusable.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
WolfThomas said:
manaman said:
They are doing it to raise awareness, and you made a thread to raise awareness of their raising awareness.

Where you trying to to be meta intentionally, or was it a total accident?
And now you raised awareness of his raising of awareness of their raising of awareness.

My head hurts.
stop making us aware!
i dont like it.
it requires brain power.
MetalMagpie said:
Nyaoku said:
Google changed the logo.
What's happened to the Google logo? Or do I have to be in the states to see that?

On a side note, it's a slightly frustrating day to be on the web as a non-American. Going to sites I like and being faced with huge banners with "STOP SOPA!!! WRITE TO YOUR SENATOR!!!!!!"

It's like they're judging me for doing nothing. _>
i know. i tried to use Wikipedia and i couldnt. i wish i was bilingual...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
9thRequiem said:
And now the escapist has a black background, and bars over the logo.
I kind of like the background. Easier on the eyes.
Agreed. I think the black background should be an option from now on.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
brunothepig said:
Ohhh, I didn't realise xD

Kinda defeats the point I find, I mean, some people won't really see SOPA as a bad thing because they can still get on one of the biggest sites on the internet.
Well, they're still drawing a lot of attention. And the information on how to get around it is with all the information on what SOPA is and how they can help and stuff. Basically, visit Wikipedia and you're going to see this page saying "we don't like SOPA/PIPA. You shouldn't either". If anyone is remotely interested, they will likely at least read more. I wouldn't underestimate the impact Wikipedia will make.

In fact, this is more synonymous with a typical protest "in real life". They still have functionality, but it's still impossible to ignore the cluster of people outside the front of your building. Or website, as the case may be.

On another note, Escapist finally went dark. I was actually expecting all the white to be black, but oh well. At least there was another petition for me to sign on the logo.