Itagaki Gets Bloodier Than Ever With Devil's Third

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Akalistos said:
I don't care as long as there a great story. I can see the fun in "Rocket Lauching" ninja or turn them into paste with the impossible Gatling gun... But i don't care if i don't know why.
Treblaine said:
Dang it, no PC.

Looks like I am again going to have to choose between graphics and better online.

Hey... guess which one is usually better at which?
Does that mean that you owned both a PS3, a X360 and a PC? Hen!
Yeah man, it's the only way.

It's worth it just to avoid the fanboy bullshit of halo vs killzone or crap like that. Screw this partisan bullshit caused by console wars, it is fundamentally anti-capitalistic as if people just buy one console then there is little reason for the console-maker to strive to offer the most competitive line-up of games... they are forced to buy all games for their system. They are caught in a trap of openly DEFENDING their console purchase and get drawn into fanboy bullshit.

Most games I get are third party titles on PC because the PC is usually the best version and they are usually cheaper on PC too and offer more flexibility, adjust-ability and moddability. Simple as that.

In practice, I mainly buy first party exclusives for each console, which is a problem for my 360 as Microsoft's first-party projects are few and far between, though at least I spent to least amount on the cheapest Xbox Arcade SKU.

PS3 just has their 1st party studios working overtime, and they really do get the best out of the console and in my EXPERIENCE opinion, the best on the consoles.

Though I am looking forward to getting a Wii but it is too expensive for the few games I want to get on the system. Mainly Mario and Metroid... oh and Zelda is coming soon. They just need to give the Wii a price cut to around £70 then that seems like the right price.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
The music in the trailer makes the game look cheesy. I like it :D

Also, I keep getting the feeling that this is what Wet should have been.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Deshara said:
Treblaine said:
Dang it, no PC.

Looks like I am again going to have to choose between graphics and better online.

Not sure. Depends on your computer. I actually find my XBox's online is more stable than my Laptop's for some reason, though apparently I'm one of the few who experiences that.

Anyway, FUCK YES, FINISH THIS GAME PLEASE
This game with mouse aim would kick ass. Yes, that matters a lot even for sword/melee based combat.

You know, it'll probably get a PC release in the end. if they are co-developing on PS3 and 360, two VERY different systems I hear one creates a PC version almost by accident, doesn't take much more work to release a functional PC version and once the retail market is flooded with pre-owned copies there is no worries in releasing it on PC.

It's weird how paranoid developers and publishers act about piracy. I mean if movie studios acted the same way they would never release films on DVD.

Hmm, there are actually a lot of parallels with the movie industry: you could see this as like the feature film releases which are released to cinemas first (low piracy) to the widest market but sales die down quick, then a few months later release on DVD (highly prone to piracy) to rake in more sales.

See if think Game Publishers' worries about piracy on PC Platform are completely counterbalanced by the PC gaming's lack of a pre-owned market, due to DRM and the proportion that are Digital Downloads, eternally linked to a user account.

But way too many of then buy the bullshit that "copyright violation = theft" and get emotional about piracy, when it's just business, they should get just as angry at rental services and Gamestop double and triple selling traded in copies.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Treblaine said:
Deshara said:
Treblaine said:
Dang it, no PC.

Not sure. Depends on your computer. I actually find my XBox's online is more stable than my Laptop's for some reason, though apparently I'm one of the few who experiences that.

Anyway, FUCK YES, FINISH THIS GAME PLEASE
This game with mouse aim would kick ass. Yes, that matters a lot even for sword/melee based combat.

You know, it'll probably get a PC release in the end. if they are co-developing on PS3 and 360, two VERY different systems I hear one creates a PC version almost by accident, doesn't take much more work to release a functional PC version and once the retail market is flooded with pre-owned copies there is no worries in releasing it on PC.

It's weird how paranoid developers and publishers act about piracy. I mean if movie studios acted the same way they would never release films on DVD.

Hmm, there are actually a lot of parallels with the movie industry: you could see this as like the feature film releases which are released to cinemas first (low piracy) to the widest market but sales die down quick, then a few months later release on DVD (highly prone to piracy) to rake in more sales.

See if think Game Publishers' worries about piracy on PC Platform are completely counterbalanced by the PC gaming's lack of a pre-owned market, due to DRM and the proportion that are Digital Downloads, eternally linked to a user account.

But way too many of then buy the bullshit that "copyright violation = theft" and get emotional about piracy, when it's just business, they should get just as angry at rental services and Gamestop double and triple selling traded in copies.
They do. Why do you think they are trying so hard to tell people that they don't own what they buy, and are instead renting something indefinitely after a one time fee? A fairly simple counter mechanism that checked a key every few days or every month and determined whether you paid the fee or not, and notified you of impending deletion if no payment was received by a set time could readily facilitate software renting.

Valve is probably in the best position to actually fight their way through the EULAs and use their sheer weight in the market to actually pull this off. Of course publishers love the all or nothing proposition here. They don't want people to have any ability to make an informed decision about their games.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
Wow, that looks like good fun.

I'm waiting for someone to post the link to the TVTropes article 'Soundtrack Dissonance'.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Wow. What a totally original game. It will revolutionize gaming as we know it and sell millions. *MAJOR SARCASM*

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
shadow skill said:
Treblaine said:

They do. Why do you think they are trying so hard to tell people that they don't own what they buy, and are instead renting something indefinitely after a one time fee? A fairly simple counter mechanism that checked a key every few days or every month and determined whether you paid the fee or not, and notified you of impending deletion if no payment was received by a set time could readily facilitate software renting.

Valve is probably in the best position to actually fight their way through the EULAs and use their sheer weight in the market to actually pull this off. Of course publishers love the all or nothing proposition here. They don't want people to have any ability to make an informed decision about their games.
Well, consider the commets of Rockstar's Lazlow where he said about a PC release of Red Dead Redemption in a radio interview (paraphrased):

"*Scoff* yeah, we tend to want to release your games on platforms where they DON'T get pirated the hell out of them!*Scoff*" (followed by roars of laughter from rest of the developers)

Clearly a lot of antipathy, developers seem to take piracy very personally and this is one example of many where artist - not the money men - complain bitterly about piracy, they rarely go into much detail but just put such emphasis on the word PIRACY as if jsut saying that loaded word is enough.

See, I think these artist take OFFENCE at the idea of piracy, I don't think their problem is that they are not getting money... I think they see it as:

"What, you don't want to PAY for my game?!? I worked my ass off on it for TWO YEARS on it and you just go on bit-torrent and download it! Look at all these seeds... look at all these downloads... it must be EVERY SINGLE PC GAMER is a Pirate!"

They seem to look at the community as say "you're all dishonest" but when it comes to console gamers and rentals/pre-owned they seem to settle for

The last bit is completely wrong, I can't stand it when the likes of Pachter of Gametrailers.com say: "You PC gamers, you ARE ALL PIRATES, you all NEVER BUY GAMES... I'm not going to waste my time with you all because your are NOT CUSTOMERS, just thieves."

Makes my blood boil.

It is precisley because of this attitude, totally unlike what is seen among musicians, actors or authors, who get their work hugely pirated which is why I NEVER pirate games, even old games from studios and publishers long defunct and the games long out of print. Not a single one.

The major problem is there is so much guesstimations of piracy rates and complete uncertainty in total sales due to the influence of Direct Download sales from Steam and D2D, that unlike retail are not mandated to publish their sales figures.

Some developers have really turned off from PC gaming, like Infinity Ward that cut it's teeth in PC gaming has shown utter contempt for it more recently, though it seems a heck of a lot of it is originating from Robert Bowling (thankfully, he did not partake in the massive exodus to Respawn Entertainment). Looking at his blogs he seems like a douchebag, I mean his multiplayer ideas are straight up bullshit. I mean this is the guy who said:
-"the percentage of player on COD4 PC multiplayer that are pirates is astounding"
but when asked for an actual Percentage or even a rough figure like 25% of 50% he said:
-"oh, well I can't give an exact figure... I'll get back to you on that... if I can"
He never did. It could have been less than 10% for all we know.

I don't fully understand this dangerous trend but we should ALL be worried, the publishers, developers and gamers.

Console manufacturers are gaining more and more control, when consoles go direct-download, it will all be through the corporations that made the consoles: their stores, their prices, their access, their control.

PC gaming should not die just like home-movies should not die. Remember there was a time before home-video when cinemas had absolute power over the presentation of films.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Akalistos said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Space getting so cluttered that it can't be explored anymore?

Sounds like a job for the Planetes space janitors!

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/DurrHurr/characters/planetes.jpg
Question is, How the hell should Space pollution turn people into ninja. Is that because no TV can work anymore?
Hay, its a serious and realistic story we have a game about people running on walls with miniguns trying to turn each other into fine bloody bits.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Treblaine said:
shadow skill said:
Treblaine said:

Well, consider the commets of Rockstar's Lazlow where he said about a PC release of Red Dead Redemption in a radio interview (paraphrased):

"*Scoff* yeah, we tend to want to release your games on platforms where they DON'T get pirated the hell out of them!*Scoff*" (followed by roars of laughter from rest of the developers)

Clearly a lot of antipathy, developers seem to take piracy very personally and this is one example of many where artist - not the money men - complain bitterly about piracy, they rarely go into much detail but just put such emphasis on the word PIRACY as if jsut saying that loaded word is enough.

See, I think these artist take OFFENCE at the idea of piracy, I don't think their problem is that they are not getting money... I think they see it as:

"What, you don't want to PAY for my game?!? I worked my ass off on it for TWO YEARS on it and you just go on bit-torrent and download it! Look at all these seeds... look at all these downloads... it must be EVERY SINGLE PC GAMER is a Pirate!"

They seem to look at the community as say "you're all dishonest" but when it comes to console gamers and rentals/pre-owned they seem to settle for

The last bit is completely wrong, I can't stand it when the likes of Pachter of Gametrailers.com say: "You PC gamers, you ARE ALL PIRATES, you all NEVER BUY GAMES... I'm not going to waste my time with you all because your are NOT CUSTOMERS, just thieves."

Makes my blood boil.

It is precisley because of this attitude, totally unlike what is seen among musicians, actors or authors, who get their work hugely pirated which is why I NEVER pirate games, even old games from studios and publishers long defunct and the games long out of print. Not a single one.

The major problem is there is so much guesstimations of piracy rates and complete uncertainty in total sales due to the influence of Direct Download sales from Steam and D2D, that unlike retail are not mandated to publish their sales figures.

Some developers have really turned off from PC gaming, like Infinity Ward that cut it's teeth in PC gaming has shown utter contempt for it more recently, though it seems a heck of a lot of it is originating from Robert Bowling (thankfully, he did not partake in the massive exodus to Respawn Entertainment). Looking at his blogs he seems like a douchebag, I mean his multiplayer ideas are straight up bullshit. I mean this is the guy who said:
-"the percentage of player on COD4 PC multiplayer that are pirates is astounding"
but when asked for an actual Percentage or even a rough figure like 25% of 50% he said:
-"oh, well I can't give an exact figure... I'll get back to you on that... if I can"
He never did. It could have been less than 10% for all we know.

I don't fully understand this dangerous trend but we should ALL be worried, the publishers, developers and gamers.

Console manufacturers are gaining more and more control, when consoles go direct-download, it will all be through the corporations that made the consoles: their stores, their prices, their access, their control.

PC gaming should not die just like home-movies should not die. Remember there was a time before home-video when cinemas had absolute power over the presentation of films.
They can feel insulted, but I think the big problem is that their products typically don't actually work when they come out. Or have design choices so terrible that one can tell that they didn't even look at the controller. Unlike other art forms there is a more scientific aspect to games. I don't think their feeling are even worthy of respect when the game functions better when you pirate the game or crack it. The only people they have to blame are themselves at that point. Not to mention the fact that they are morons PC game revenue went up something like 3% in 2009.

I suspect that it is more that they need to find someone or something to blame for their product not being a masterpiece. When they fail to meet their projections it has to be because people stole the product rather than because the product wasn't that good. Admitting that their product wasn't very good would mean that they spent all that time (not) debugging etc. was for nothing as the end result was still a pile of crap. They seem to think that they are gods who give us a product out of the kindness of their hearts. What they don't get is that they have a job making games because the gamers exist not the other way around. In the same way I have a job because my bosses need my skills for something.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Huh. Am I that far off in thinking "Grand Theft Gaiden 4" to myself after watching this trailer...?
Still, I'll keep an eye on this. Ninjas and miniguns...? Sure, why not.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Eee hee this looks like so much fun, I just hope it's not another disappointing, imbalanced, glitch-fest like Ninja Gaiden 2 was.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Akalistos said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Space getting so cluttered that it can't be explored anymore?

Sounds like a job for the Planetes space janitors!

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/DurrHurr/characters/planetes.jpg
Question is, How the hell should Space pollution turn people into ninja. Is that because no TV can work anymore?
Hay, its a serious and realistic story we have a game about people running on walls with miniguns trying to turn each other into fine bloody bits.
You know, i got people that said i couldn't live without game for a day. (I did, I Stop gaming for 3 month in College to consentrate on my grade). Those people sit before the TV now and won't walk aways until they go to bet. I'm pretty sure they would go crazy after X month.
Remember:"No beer and no TV make Homer go Crazy."(+1 ref)

Also when you think about it, console owner would be fine because we will still be able to play.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
shadow skill said:
They can feel insulted, but I think the big problem is that their products typically don't actually work when they come out. Or have design choices so terrible that one can tell that they didn't even look at the controller. Unlike other art forms there is a more scientific aspect to games. I don't think their feeling are even worthy of respect when the game functions better when you pirate the game or crack it. The only people they have to blame are themselves at that point. Not to mention the fact that they are morons PC game revenue went up something like 3% in 2009.

I suspect that it is more that they need to find someone or something to blame for their product not being a masterpiece. When they fail to meet their projections it has to be because people stole the product rather than because the product wasn't that good. Admitting that their product wasn't very good would mean that they spent all that time (not) debugging etc. was for nothing as the end result was still a pile of crap. They seem to think that they are gods who give us a product out of the kindness of their hearts. What they don't get is that they have a job making games because the gamers exist not the other way around. In the same way I have a job because my bosses need my skills for something.
(I think you mean games are more TECHNICAL. Scientific implies a certain proof based approach)

Sorry I don't buy that. If a game is poorly made or broken on PC, that is not an excuse to pirate it, that is as reason NOT TO PLAY IT. If it is not worth your money, it should not be worth your precious leisure time either. You only possibly have an "excuse" to pirate if the content is not available in your region due to censorship or just poor distribution.

I can't entirely agree with the last paragraph either, COD4 was PERFECT on PC, it did almost everything right yet there was all this bitching about piracy, and STILL there is no clarity on how many actual legitimate sales there have been on PC.

Steam users are no doubt familiar now with how prominently the numbers of users is displayed, peaks at over 2 million each day, well that is almost the same as what Microsoft boasts for it's service:

"Between Christmas and New Years Day, Xbox Live experienced its busiest week ever, adding a new member every second and a record of more than 2.2 million concurrent members online."

(from http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/06/xbox-by-the-numbers-20m-xbox-live-users-10m-nongaming-39m-xbo/ )

And that's the BUSIEST week, while Steam has 25 million user accounts. The comparisons are clear, they are very similar and even if only 25% as good that means it cannot be dismissed.

But for some reason the likes of Robert Bowling and so many other developers cling to NPD numbers, which don't track digital sales at all. I think it is simple platform prejudice.

I think consoles are a much more appealing platform in terms of marketability, it has become acceptable for adults of all ages to play Xbox and Playstation, and those are VERY WELL understood markets and they are easy to control.

There is a certain stigma to PC gaming, it seems to even infest developers, I don't know.

I know things are changing, I just can't tell if PC gaming is dying or if it is evolving.

oranger

May 27, 2008
K, that does look pretty cool...and its nice to see some silly wall runners get waxed but good.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Treblaine said:
shadow skill said:

(I think you mean games are more TECHNICAL. Scientific implies a certain proof based approach)

Sorry I don't buy that. If a game is poorly made or broken on PC, that is not an excuse to pirate it, that is as reason NOT TO PLAY IT. If it is not worth your money, it should not be worth your precious leisure time either. You only possibly have an "excuse" to pirate if the content is not available in your region due to censorship or just poor distribution.

I can't entirely agree with the last paragraph either, COD4 was PERFECT on PC, it did almost everything right yet there was all this bitching about piracy, and STILL there is no clarity on how many actual legitimate sales there have been on PC.

Steam users are no doubt familiar now with how prominently the numbers of users is displayed, peaks at over 2 million each day, well that is almost the same as what Microsoft boasts for it's service:

"Between Christmas and New Years Day, Xbox Live experienced its busiest week ever, adding a new member every second and a record of more than 2.2 million concurrent members online."

(from http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/06/xbox-by-the-numbers-20m-xbox-live-users-10m-nongaming-39m-xbo/ )

And that's the BUSIEST week, while Steam has 25 million user accounts. The comparisons are clear, they are very similar and even if only 25% as good that means it cannot be dismissed.

But for some reason the likes of Robert Bowling and so many other developers cling to NPD numbers, which don't track digital sales at all. I think it is simple platform prejudice.

I think consoles are a much more appealing platform in terms of marketability, it has become acceptable for adults of all ages to play Xbox and Playstation, and those are VERY WELL understood markets and they are easy to control.

There is a certain stigma to PC gaming, it seems to even infest developers, I don't know.

I know things are changing, I just can't tell if PC gaming is dying or if it is evolving.
I meant scientific. There are certain things you do and don't do when you design user interfaces for example. Never pick colours that offer low contrast. Avoid things using yellow for text unless the font size is very big, and always set it to a darker background. Having too many menus or buttons etc will intimidate or outright scare users.

We can argue about the morality or lack thereof of pirating but in the end it doesn't matter. People will naturally attempt to level the playing field if you try to screw them. If they get the chance. When they banned alcohol in the US poisoning the alcohol did not stop people from drinking. [http://www.slate.com/id/2245188] The criminal syndicates even hired chemists to try and "fix" the alcohol. They were the crackers of their day.

Pc gaming and the entire entertainment industry at large is evolving, and at this rate it is not going to turn out good for anyone. The various stunts content providers feel free to pull, the stupid consumers who cheer them on, the pirates who don't care because they "fixed" whatever bullshit the content provider tried, and finally the rest of us.

The content providers need as many excuses as possible to justify their stunts. The MPAA and RIAA consistently point to bogus piracy studies so that they can get the governments of the world to enshrine their current business model. As much as the corporate shills will whine that customers feel entitled the content manufacturers are just as bad if not worse. They want to pervert ownership so that people "agree" to give up ownership when they purchase products that they are otherwise allowed to use indefinitely. They are trying very hard to convince us that we don't own anything, whereas they own everything, until it is inconvenient for them to be responsible for that which they own. At that point it magically becomes ours again.

They have been planning this for a long time now. They just hide behind piracy and now Gamestop's profit margins to trick us into thinking that they are responding the way that they are because of some injury inflicted upon them. They understand better than most that technology is coming to the point where their very existence is threatened regardless what the sales numbers are. The extremely large publisher's days of absolute dominance are fast approaching their end.

Of course none of this is unique to the entertainment industry the private power industry in California paid out bribes to prevent the Hoover dam from being constructed, for example.